Left can't read well nor do they understand Constitution

Old January 15th 04, 05:39 PM
Jarg

Default Left can't read well nor do they understand Constitution

"John Galt" wrote in message
om...
Will the military obey the Constitution and arrest Bush?

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...ws/7690067.htm

First, "The report, by visiting professor Jeffrey Record" indicates this was
one man's opinion, not that of the War College.

Second, the militray doesn't have the legal right to arrest the President,
and I challenge anyone to demonstrate otherwise.

Jarg

Old January 15th 04, 07:48 PM
LawsonE

"Jarg" wrote in message
. ..
"John Galt" wrote in message
om...
Will the military obey the Constitution and arrest Bush?

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...ws/7690067.htm

First, "The report, by visiting professor Jeffrey Record" indicates this

was
one man's opinion, not that of the War College.

A visiting professor at the Army War College who usually teaches the same
classes at the Air Force equivalent, apparently.

Second, the militray doesn't have the legal right to arrest the President,
and I challenge anyone to demonstrate otherwise.

Hmmmmm.... Can an American civilian ever be arrested by the military? Can a
commanding officer ever be arrested by orders of a subordinate? If the
answer to both of those is "yes," then it is conceivable (but not terribly
likely) that the President of the USA could be arrested by the military. I
wouldn't want to be the poor SP/MP ordered to make the arrest however...

Old January 16th 04, 04:17 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"LawsonE" wrote in message
ink.net...

Hmmmmm.... Can an American civilian ever be arrested by the military?

Yes, on a military installation.

Old January 16th 04, 04:57 AM
Tex Houston

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

"LawsonE" wrote in message
ink.net...

Hmmmmm.... Can an American civilian ever be arrested by the military?

Yes, on a military installation.

Not usually. Normally held for civil authorities.

Tex

Old January 16th 04, 05:06 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

Not usually. Normally held for civil authorities.

In other words, you concur with my statement.

Old January 16th 04, 06:25 AM
Colin Campbell

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:17:39 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"LawsonE" wrote in message
link.net...

Hmmmmm.... Can an American civilian ever be arrested by the military?

Yes, on a military installation.

Actually, no.

The military does not have arrest powers for any persons not under the
UCMJ.

What happens in real life is that - for minor offenses - the subject
is cited with a mandatory court appearance before a US Magistrate.
For serious offenses the subject is detained pending the arrival of
the US Marshals or FBI (who conduct the arrest).

(I spent a year pulling 'Military Police Duty Officer' 3-4x a month at
Ft Lewis not long ago and I got to be an expert on jurisdictional
issues.)

"It's not American foreign policy, or the plight of the
Palestinians, or America's longstanding support for Israel.
A group of people with money and weaponry have simply
decided that we, as a civilization, are unfit to live, and
want, eventally, to exterminate us."
'Christian Century' magazine
Old January 16th 04, 06:27 AM
Colin Campbell

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 05:06:05 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

Not usually. Normally held for civil authorities.

In other words, you concur with my statement.

No he does not.

'Arrest' is a precise legal term. Military Police do not have arrest
authority over civilians.

Old January 16th 04, 10:30 AM
Cub Driver

Second, the militray doesn't have the legal right to arrest the President,
and I challenge anyone to demonstrate otherwise.

In less enlightened societies, this is regular practice, and is called
a coup.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 16th 04, 11:47 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Colin Campbell" (remove underscore) wrote in
message ...

Actually, no.

The military does not have arrest powers for any persons not under the
UCMJ.

What happens in real life is that - for minor offenses - the subject
is cited with a mandatory court appearance before a US Magistrate.
For serious offenses the subject is detained pending the arrival of
the US Marshals or FBI (who conduct the arrest).

(I spent a year pulling 'Military Police Duty Officer' 3-4x a month at
Ft Lewis not long ago and I got to be an expert on jurisdictional
issues.)

So if a civilian commits an offense on a military installation the military
police have no power to seize and hold him?