Looking for a trailer wheel

Old March 26th 14, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Van Henson

Default Looking for a trailer wheel

Hello,

I need to get a wheel on which to mount a spare tire for my trailer. The two wheels on the trailer now are manufactured by Lemmerz. Over the manufacturer's name is the marking "1345-2" and elsewhere the size designation "4 1/2 Jx13H2" and still elsewhere the designator "ET27". It has a four lug pattern; I haven't measured the center-to-center distance on the lug holes, nor the diameter of the center opening (I hope that all that information is somehow contained in the various markings and designations). I can make those measurements, of course, if necessary.

The wheels I have are good, but I need a third so I have a good spare. My favorite tire store told me to check out the junkyards to try to find a replacement; I thought I'd check with this group.

Anybody have an extra one of these they'd like to part with at a bargain basement price?

Van
Old March 26th 14, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:47:08 AM UTC-7, Van Henson wrote:
[...]

I found an oddball rim (bold pattern) at the local auto salvage yard specializing in European autos.
JJ

Old March 27th 14, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You didn't mention what country you reside, or what company made the trailer, both would help. In the U.S. a 1998 Cobra wheel is easily purchased from a major tire store. I took both wheels to purchase new tires and asked him to give me a third wheel + tire for a spare. He had it in stock.
Old March 27th 14, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:47:08 AM UTC-7, Van Henson wrote:

...Over the manufacturer's name is the marking "1345-2"
and elsewhere the size designation "4 1/2 Jx13H2" and
still elsewhere the designator "ET27". It has a four
lug pattern; I haven't measured the center-to-center
distance on the lug holes...

Unfortunately, you don't yet have all the information you need to get a replacement. What we can tell is:

"4 1/2 Jx13H2" means that the wheel is for 13" tires and that the width of the wheel is 4.5". I don't remember what the J is for (I think it refers to the type of construction), and I don't know what the H2 means. I have no idea what ET27 is; probably a proprietary manufacturer part number or descriptor.

What you need to know to get a matching replacement is:

Diameter where the tire seats (we know it is 13")
Width between the tire bead retaining flanges (we know it is 4.5"
Bolt circle (not known)
Offset (not known)

The bolt circle is best measured with the plastic gauges that they have at junkyards. Bring one of your current wheels with you and have them measure it.

To get the offset, you need to do some measuring to find the distance between the plane of the wheel's mounting surface and a plane that is halfway between the two tire-retaining flanges. Since you know that the width is 4.5", you can also measure the backspacing to determine the offset. I'd suggest you google "backspacing" and go from there.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old March 27th 14, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I just did a bit of web searching, and I now believe that "ET27" refers to an offset of 27mm or 1-1/16". Given the width of 4.5", I think that for most steel wheels that would correspond to a backspacing of 3.81".

If that is so, now all you need is the bolt circle. The best bet is to measure it as I wrote earlier. Although, if it is a European glider trailer, I would put my money on 4-on-108mm.

Thanks again, Bob K.
Old March 27th 14, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GC[_2_]

On 27/03/2014 12:09, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I just did a bit of web searching, and I now believe that "ET27"
refers to an offset of 27mm or 1-1/16". Given the width of 4.5", I
think that for most steel wheels that would correspond to a
backspacing of 3.81".

If that is so, now all you need is the bolt circle. The best bet is
to measure it as I wrote earlier. Although, if it is a European
glider trailer, I would put my money on 4-on-108mm.

Thanks again, Bob K.

I wrecked a Cobra wheel recently from a two-seater trailer (15" wheel, 5
bolts) and I found measuring the PCD wasn't simple or easy. There are a
number of very-close-to-what-I-think possibilities and only the
templates that some trailer dealers seem to have make accurate decisions.

The other difficulty is that trailer wheels are rarely the same as car
wheels these days. The near-universal use of bulky disc brakes on cars
and drums on trailers means that the offset on car wheels is usually
larger than that on trailer wheels. Visiting your local wrecker can be
time-consuming and frustrating. So close but no cigar!

My offset was 30 and I'll be surprised if the OP can find a car wheel to
match his offset of 27.

GC
Old March 28th 14, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bastoune

My Komet III trailer has a rims with the following marking:
4 1/2 Jx13H2 and ET27

The bolt spacing on these is 4x100mm

good luck.