Repairing fiberglass wheel pants

Old September 24th 04, 03:04 PM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Jay Honeck wrote:

While I agree with you, the odds of me having days -- or even hours --

free
to take a crack at fixing them are slim and none.

Assuming that it IS OK for an owner to work on wheelpants themselves (as
it seems to be) then if I were you, I'd find a local composite aircraft
builder and offer to pay them to fix the pants. I bought prefabricated
wheel pants for my COZY MKIV for $250, and the repair you've described
would take me about 2-3 hours, max. Hell, if I lived anywhere near you,
I'd do it for nothing, just to see how the "certificated" wheel pants
were constructed.

$2500..... That's unbelievable..... Crap, even $1K is unbelievable.
If this guy things (at $60/hr) that it's going to take him 15 hours to
fix the pants, then he hasn't got a clue about composites.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/

Old September 24th 04, 04:03 PM
Montblack

("Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote)
Assuming that it IS OK for an owner to work on wheelpants themselves (as
it seems to be) then if I were you, I'd find a local composite aircraft
builder and offer to pay them to fix the pants. I bought prefabricated
wheel pants for my COZY MKIV for $250, and the repair you've described
would take me about 2-3 hours, max. Hell, if I lived anywhere near you,
I'd do it for nothing, just to see how the "certificated" wheel pants
were constructed.

$2500..... That's unbelievable..... Crap, even $1K is unbelievable.
If this guy things (at $60/hr) that it's going to take him 15 hours to
fix the pants, then he hasn't got a clue about composites.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/
http://www.cozybuilders.org/

UPS? (Insured!!)

Oh. Plus painting?

Montblack g

Old September 24th 04, 06:26 PM
Don Hammer

Slight word of warning from my glider repair experience - Most boats
and autos use polyester resin and not epoxy. Make sure you use the
same as the pants. Polyester on epoxy will not stick properly and
will eventually pop off. What you find in the auto/boat store called
fiberglass resin is usually polyester because it's much cheaper. If
you don't do it yourself, find someone who is familiar with aircraft
composits. The auto guy doing Corvettes won't get it and don't do a
metal repair to the glass.

I'm an old A&P who finds epoxy much easier to work with than metal,
especially for compound shapes. The skills are much easier to learn
if you are starting from scratch. If you do the repair yourself, the
rules are -

Use the same glass cloth
Use the same number of layers in the same direction
Use the same epoxy
Use bondo (also polyester) to fill pin holes only. I use epoxy with
cotton flox or microbaloons for filler.

As the pants aren't structural, you can probably bend these rules a
bit such as type and weave of cloth, but stay away from polyester. My
approach would be to "make the holes disappear" by grinding a wide
scarf joint then re-drilling the holes after the glass work. Mount
them with large washers to spread the load and you have a long-lasting
repair. Total glass work minus curing time and painting shouldn't be
more than a few hours for a skilled repairman.

("Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote)

Old September 24th 04, 07:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

Make sure that you wear disposable gloves when handling epoxies, ....

If you read what I wrote, you'll see that I said that.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old September 24th 04, 07:25 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

He's estimating "no more than $1000" (ouch!), but I'm hoping for far less.
He's an experienced fiberglass and sheet metal guy, and new ones would cost
well over $2500.

You have a PA-28-235? Wag-Aero sells a set of three fairings with mounting hardware
for $782.00 for that plane. SKU #M-126-000. They don't have photos on the web, but
they probably will in their print catalog.

Old September 24th 04, 11:04 PM
Aaron Coolidge

G.R. Patterson III wrote:
: You have a PA-28-235? Wag-Aero sells a set of three fairings with mounting hardware
: for $782.00 for that plane. SKU #M-126-000. They don't have photos on the web, but
: they probably will in their print catalog.

Jay's got neato cool aftermarket hi-speed wheel fairings, not the useless
stock Piper fairings as sold in wag-aero. Besides, I though they were $3600
for the pair (for the ones that Jay has).
--
Aaron Coolidge
Old September 24th 04, 11:10 PM
Michael

"Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote
Assuming that it IS OK for an owner to work on wheelpants themselves

OK, reality check. First off, it's hard to argue that it's not.
Small simple repairs to nonstructural cowlings and fairings - spelled
out. And realistically - who will ever question it? If you have the
kind of IA who would have a problem with something like this at annual
- you need another IA.

I'd find a local composite aircraft
builder and offer to pay them to fix the pants.

Or anyone else with a clue. A fiberglass boat repair place comes to
mind.

Crap, even $1K is unbelievable.
If this guy things (at $60/hr) that it's going to take him 15 hours to
fix the pants, then he hasn't got a clue about composites.

Of course he doesn't. What he gave is the "no-clue, never-done-it"
estimate. In other words - he gave an upper-bound estimate for how
long it should take someone who is reasonably knowledgeable in
aviation, but has no clue about this sort of repair to do the job.

I've had similar repairs done to my engine nacelle nose cowlings. I
believe I paid about $150. Of course the mechanic in question knew
how to work with fiberbglass - he was only working as an A&P in
retirement, and used to work on cars.

Michael
Old September 25th 04, 03:40 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Aaron Coolidge wrote:

Jay's got neato cool aftermarket hi-speed wheel fairings, not the useless
stock Piper fairings as sold in wag-aero. Besides, I though they were $3600
for the pair (for the ones that Jay has).

Ah! So this thread is really a variation of the "How much is 5 knots worth to you"
thread? I see. :-)

Old September 25th 04, 03:55 AM
Jay Honeck

Ah! So this thread is really a variation of the "How much is 5 knots worth
to you"
thread? I see. :-)

EXACTLY!

However, the previous owner of our plane -- a friend of ours -- put every
known speed mod on it. Of all the mods he added, he states unequivocally
that the Fancy Pants were the single most effective addition to the plane
for picking up speed. He says they net him around 7 knots over the old
Piper pants, which is huge.

And, boy, let me tell you -- my plane looks positively goofy without those
wheel pants. Parking on the ramp now is like going to a black-tie affair
while wearing brown shoes....

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

FS: Cessna 140 120 wheel pants Mark T. Aviation Marketplace 0 September 11th 04 01:52 AM
FS: Cessna 140 wheel pants aluminum Mark T. Home Built 0 September 9th 04 12:19 AM
FS Cessna 140 wheel pants Mark T. Aviation Marketplace 0 September 9th 04 12:15 AM
Wheel Pants Weight Patrick Owning 5 June 17th 04 06:40 AM
Piper Wheel Pants Question Brian Sponcil Owning 9 December 26th 03 05:47 PM