vfr corridors through class B airspace

Old October 24th 03, 08:29 AM
Jeff

This is actually the real deal, I was surprised san diego had one.
I dont usually pull out my books but had to on this one because I was
curious, I dont usually fly through class B airspace, I fly over it. Only
when I have to land at an airport inside class B will I mess with it and
then I dont look for transition routes or anything.
Los Angeles area (LAX) has a Special flight rules route for VFR traffic,
its not listed as a "VFR corridor" but as SFRA and reads the same as a
vfr corridor, no contact with approach needed, goes right over the top
of LAX. the Jeppguide gives you the squak code and such for the route.

Craig Prouse wrote:

"Peter R." wrote:

The San Diego VFR corridor is labeled as such on the San Diego TAC.
Additionally, San Diego Approach refers to it as a VFR corridor, at
least when I was flying to it last March, and no clearance is/was
required into it.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Sometimes I'm wrong, and when I do it, I do it right.

Old October 24th 03, 08:33 AM
Jeff

LAX's is called a "Special Flight Rules Area", not a VFR corridor, some parts of the SFRA require
ATC comminucation, the one over the top of LAX does not. This is per my current JeppGuide.
San Diego specifically says VFR corridor.

wrote:

But I don't think these are true "vfr corridors". The aim 3.5.5.b
describes corridors as "a hole through class b airspace", and shows
such in figure 3-5-2 (at least in my 2001 aim). LAX is just this way.
From what I see of dca area from March 2002 jepp chart, these two
corridors are "under" class b, not "through". Same for Houston, which
I have Jul 1999 Jepp info.

It appears LAX has the only true vfr corridor, unless someone has
other examples
Stan

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:29:38 -0400, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
Do I read the aim right that the special flight rules airspace over
top of LAX is actually still classified as a VFR corridor?

And secondly, are there any other vfr corridors in the US?

Not that are Special Flight Rules. A lot of class B's that are formed from
overlaps of multiple primary airports have area that is just excluded (without
restriction) from the class B. An example is NY where there is a tunnel
down the Hudson (the chart does have some notations about traffic advisories)
and DC which has two tunnels (one between IAD and DCA, which unfortunately
is now eaten up by the stupid-assed no-fly zone and one between DCA and BWI
which is only partially eaten, but inside the ADIZ). Several others have sort of
notches cut out of their edges for non-Class B transition.

Old October 25th 03, 02:25 AM
Peter R.

Craig Prouse wrote:

"Peter R." wrote:

The San Diego VFR corridor is labeled as such on the San Diego TAC.
Additionally, San Diego Approach refers to it as a VFR corridor, at
least when I was flying to it last March, and no clearance is/was
required into it.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Sometimes I'm wrong, and when I do it, I do it right.

I certainly know the feeling!

--
Peter

Old October 30th 03, 11:43 AM

No, I don't think Jeff is confused. He was one of the few who knew
exaclty what a vfr corridor was.
At any rate, San Diego and LAX class B's seem to be the only ones with
a vfr corridor, although it was argued that since the corridor in LAX
is a special flight rules area, it may not count as a true vfr
corridor.

This should put the thread to rest
Stan

Craig Prouse wrote:

I don't think so. I think Jeff is pretty confused about the distinctions
between VFR corridors (special ways through Class B without a clearance),
VFR flyways (preferred ways under and around Class B, published for many
Class B areas), and VFR transition routes (preferred ways through Class B
with a clearance).

Old November 2nd 03, 11:28 PM
Greg

Denver VFR corridor on the west; Northbound recommended slightly west I-25
at 7500', Southbound about 5 miles west (roughly BJC 350/170 radials) at
8500'.

Craig Prouse wrote:

I don't think so. I think Jeff is pretty confused about the

distinctions
between VFR corridors (special ways through Class B without a

clearance),
VFR flyways (preferred ways under and around Class B, published for

many
Class B areas), and VFR transition routes (preferred ways through Class

with a clearance).

Must the PLANE be IFR-equipped to fly over17,500? john smith Home Built 11 August 27th 04 02:29 AM
airspace G Jim Anglin Home Built 8 February 22nd 04 11:29 PM
Airspace Privacy over your house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fitzair4 Home Built 26 December 12th 03 12:48 AM
Decent below MDA, Legal? Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 59 October 4th 03 10:04 AM
Special Use Airspace on GPS Jeff Doran Instrument Flight Rules 3 August 11th 03 01:23 PM