Oxidation vs. Bad Paint?

Old September 21st 04, 02:45 PM
Marco Leon

Default Oxidation vs. Bad Paint?

While washing and waxing my white Warrior last weekend in prep for the
winter, I noticed that the water squeezed from my towel was a bit white. Is
this a normal side-effect from oxidation or is it bad paint? The plane was
last painted 1996 with DuPont Imron.

Marco

Old September 21st 04, 07:47 PM
Dude

Paint from wash is not normal.

Paint from wax will depend on the wax. How oxydized was the paint from
before you waxed it? What wax did you use?

If you polish it out, and keep it waxed, this should not reoccur. I highly
recommend paying for a good polish rather than sweating through it.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:10 PM
Marco Leon

It happened during the wash so I don't think it was the wax. From what I
gleaned from past Google searches, folks regularly talk about removing
oxidation to get to the original layer of paint in order to make it look
shiny again. What does this "removal" entail and what would it look like? Is
it the same color as the paint?

Marco

Old September 22nd 04, 05:35 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote:

It happened during the wash so I don't think it was the wax. From what I
gleaned from past Google searches, folks regularly talk about removing
oxidation to get to the original layer of paint in order to make it look
shiny again. What does this "removal" entail and what would it look like? Is
it the same color as the paint?

The oxidized layer of the paint is what you are removing, along with old
wax and dirt. Even polyurethanes will oxidize, to some extent --
especially if exposed to the UV rays of sunlight and moisture, such as
occurs with dew. Hangaring the plane eliminates a lot of those exposure
problems.
Old September 22nd 04, 05:59 PM
Marco Leon

Thanks Orval. Unfortunately, hangars at my homebase are $500+/month for
T-hangars with a waiting list currently being measured in *years*. My
$105/month tiedown is not bad considering...

Marco

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,

Old September 22nd 04, 07:24 PM
Dude

If you get it polished, and use good wax, you can likely keep it from
oxidizing by reapplying wax every 3 months. Perhaps more often on leading
edges.

By saving 400 a month, you can afford a new paint job fairly often

[...]

One coat paint for aluminum? [email protected] Home Built 10 September 17th 04 07:01 AM
Good Paint Remover? Marco Leon Owning 2 June 22nd 04 07:58 PM
Cheap paint job Paul Folbrecht Owning 26 April 7th 04 08:35 PM
Radar Absorbing Paint robert arndt Military Aviation 2 December 2nd 03 05:09 PM
Choice of Paint for use over Copper foil Antennas Charlie Precourt Home Built 1 December 2nd 03 02:51 AM