Intercom

Old July 15th 03, 08:23 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Thomas Borchert wrote:

G.R.,

Individual *volume controls*, yes,

those are on the headsets. Good ones, at least.

I've never seen a headset with a volume control for the microphone. *That's*
what I want.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 15th 03, 08:29 PM
Ron Natalie

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...

Thomas Borchert wrote:

G.R.,

Individual *volume controls*, yes,

those are on the headsets. Good ones, at least.

I've never seen a headset with a volume control for the microphone. *That's*
what I want.

Look more carefully at the microphone. You may have to pull off that little
foam jobbie.

Old July 15th 03, 08:49 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ron Natalie wrote:

Look more carefully at the microphone. You may have to pull off that little
foam jobbie.

Nothing on the Bose. There are two small screws on the Peltor and Sigtronics
mics, but they appear to simply be what holds it to the boom. Nothing else.

Old July 15th 03, 09:47 PM
Jim Weir

You are correct. For all the hoopla about how good and expensive the Bose are,
nobody yet has been able to find the mic level control.

HOWEVER, on almost everything else, it is either a little TINY screwdriver
adjust on the mic itself, or if there is an external amplififer board, it is on
the amplifier board, either in the earcup or on a little external box on the
cordset.

Jim

"G.R. Patterson III"

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old July 16th 03, 03:39 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Rochat wrote:

I have heard that Signtronics hat not a not a lot of audio power and
you have to push the levels to compensate + the Vox circuit is not
very precise, what is your opinion on those two points, did you
notice any differences form the SPA-400 ?

It has ample power to drive our headsets, the volume is turned
pretty low, I don't know what you mean by 'precise', it seems
to work well once the squelch is set.

It is quieter, with much better sound quality than SPA-400.
(I assume you mean, in addition to all the features SPA-400
doesn't have, like all/crew/pilot isolate settings, only
the mic of the person pushing the PTT transmits, dual music
inputs etc etc.

worked for more than 20 years as an electronic engineer I thought it was a
bit silly for PS to require I hire someone to install the intercom or have
the warranty voided! The Sigtronics unit also comes with the harness set,
making it a better buy for me.

This was a major selling point for us as well. We don't have your
work background but reasonable experience w/ electronics and electrical
wiring. And we're not too interested in having the local shops which
are "PSE dealers" work on our plane (in fact in one case I would shoot
first). It seemed silly to have to shell out hundreds of dollars for
a wiring harness we would probably half rebuild to suit our particular
circumstances, or have no warranty vs. 5 yrs no matter what.

Cheers,
Sydney