How to fill out a logbook.

Old February 8th 04, 05:29 AM
Scott

Default How to fill out a logbook.

How are you supposed to fill out a logbook? I get many different answers at
the club. I have my ticket and am I now only supposed to log my time as PIC?
Or is it that when I fly by myself I'm supposed to log it as solo and only
log PIC with another pilot in the plane? Then what happens when I have a
passenger in the plane?

Old February 8th 04, 06:20 AM
BTIZ

if you are using the standard red SSA logbook or blue Knauff..

it does not matter..

if you are SOLO.. then you are PIC... log both...
if your hands are on the stick.. log PIC...

if you are getting additional training with an instructor.. check out in a
new bird etc.... log PIC, Dual Received.. but you were not solo...

if there were two rated pilots in the plane.. and you each flew part time..
the time you are flying is PIC... I don't care if you log solo or not..

BT

Old February 8th 04, 03:11 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article , Scott wrote:
How are you supposed to fill out a logbook? I get many different answers at
the club. I have my ticket and am I now only supposed to log my time as PIC?
Or is it that when I fly by myself I'm supposed to log it as solo and only
log PIC with another pilot in the plane? Then what happens when I have a
passenger in the plane?

In the US, I've always logged my PIC and dual time as mutually
exclusive columns (if I got instruction, I was not PIC).
When I endorse logbooks, I never write in time in the PIC
column (I tell the student only they know if they were PIC).
Obviously I have no idea if they were drunk for the flight, or
otherwise medically unable, and I don't check for licenses
before a typical flight...etc.

From everything I've read about logging PIC, you CAN log both
dual and PIC under many circumstances, but I've found it rarely
speeds anything up (for rating qualification) and the insurance
companies are so clever they only ask for total time these
days anyway.

So my PIC, SIC and dual, added together, equals my total time.
I'd suggest anywhere you can log them both ways, log the
PIC in pencil, and do the PIC total in pencil. I think you'll
find that you'll never find your times deficient.

I suppose I seperately log these anyway just because otherwise
the regs are SOOOO ambiguous, I prefer to avoid even the
hint of impropriety.
Old February 8th 04, 05:41 PM
BTIZ

"Mark James Boyd"
In the US, I've always logged my PIC and dual time as mutually
exclusive columns (if I got instruction, I was not PIC).

If you are rated in the aircraft.. and receiving additional instruction..
for example an additional rating, or Flight Review, or a local check out for
renting purposes or a check out in a two seater you had never flown
before... you can still log it as PIC and dual received.

Students, flying with the instructor cannot log PIC, well.. they can log it
but it counts for nothing. They can only log dual received.. they can log
PIC when they are solo.

No one really cares what you log, as long as what you log is needed to show
the insurance company and the FAA that you are qualified to meet the
requirements of a rating you are applying for. Or that you are logging your
3 landings in 90 days to be current to carry passengers.

BT