Importing custom built glider trailer from UK to USA

Old September 2nd 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

Default Importing custom built glider trailer from UK to USA

Can anyone provide some guidance on the necessary steps for importing
a glider trailer from the UK to the USA? There is plenty of
information on RAS on the steps to take for importing the glider
inside the trailer, but this always assume that the trailer is
something similar to a Cobra that is already approved for use within
the United States. What about a trailer that was built as a one off in
the UK?

As far as I can tell this is considered a non-conforming vehicle by
the DOT and the only solution is to use a registered importer and
provide a steep bond to cover any potential modifications. BUT perhaps
someone else who's done this can suggest an easier (and less expensive
way)?

Chris
Old September 2nd 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Giltner[_1_]

At 23:02 01 September 2009, Chris wrote:
Can anyone provide some guidance on the necessary steps for importing
a glider trailer from the UK to the USA? There is plenty of
information on RAS on the steps to take for importing the glider
inside the trailer, but this always assume that the trailer is
something similar to a Cobra that is already approved for use within
the United States. What about a trailer that was built as a one off in
the UK?

As far as I can tell this is considered a non-conforming vehicle by
the DOT and the only solution is to use a registered importer and
provide a steep bond to cover any potential modifications. BUT perhaps
someone else who's done this can suggest an easier (and less expensive
way)?

Chris
I have a cobra already in this country! Contact me. 5U

Old September 2nd 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 1, 7:02*pm, Chris wrote:
Can anyone provide some guidance on the necessary steps for importing
a glider trailer from the UK to the USA? There is plenty of
information on RAS on the steps to take for importing the glider
inside the trailer, but this always assume that the trailer is
something similar to a Cobra that is already approved for use within
the United States. What about a trailer that was built as a one off in
the UK?

As far as I can tell this is considered a non-conforming vehicle by
the DOT and the only solution is to use a registered importer and
provide a steep bond to cover any potential modifications. BUT perhaps
someone else who's done this can suggest an easier (and less expensive
way)?

Chris

The major requirements customs will be looking for relate to DOT
compliance. This will require DOT markings on lights, wheels, and
tires.
One of our club members just did this. He went to the UK on a pre buy
inspection and got the trailer into compliance before shipping. DO NOT
assume you can just slide it in. If you do, and it does not comply, it
will be impounded and the only alternatives are export or bringing
into compliance by a registered importer. Expect them to charge $1000
or more for their services.
Good luck
UH
Old September 2nd 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

On Sep 2, 8:34*am, wrote:
On Sep 1, 7:02*pm, Chris wrote:

[...]

Having DOT marking is not all. I imported the trailer a year ago. It
had the right markings on everything and it also had a plate stating
it meets all federal DOT standards. The trailer was sold new in US,
yes, and then exported. When I re-imported it back the plate would not
help neither would DOT markings. The customs officer wanted a
manufacturer statement. Luckily I was able to obtain it and clear
customs after weeks in port. Is this logical? No. Why did this happen,
well because some of these customs officers don’t have a clue what is
needed. The plate should have been enough that was what my broker told
me. If you don’t have a plate or a manufacturer statement the only
option is to hire a company to certify and or bring the trailer to
compliance. That is at least three zeros after a number probably
greater than 1 as I was told looking at my options. If you import as a
container you can then make it a trailer and yes you will be able to
register. Parts will be what you imported plus some that you buy here.
There is no law that forbids you from building a trailer out of a
container.
Old September 3rd 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

So there seems to be two options:

(1) Ask the British manufacturer to provide a statement of compliance.
If this is simply a letter they provide, then I can probably get that.
If it requires them to do a bunch of paper work, file this all with
the DOT, an so on, then it's likely the shop that made the trailer for
me will want to take a pass. Does anyone know off hand what's involved
for he manufacturer to provide a statement of compliance? If not, I
imagine I'll get to spend some quality time on the phone with the DOT
(which is looking likely anyway).

(2) The container option sounds interesting. Would this be as simple
as declaring that it is a container, that it will not be used for road
transport, simply storage, and then haul it away from the port on a
flatbed? If so, then that sounds like it could be the way to go.

Thanks in advance for all of the assistance.

Chris
Old September 3rd 09, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

On Sep 2, 11:46*pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

Chris,

in regards to number one. I can provide you with a copy of the
statement Avionic issued for my trailer. You just have to remember my
trailer also had a plate. It might be that the statement is all that
is required. Contact me off group I will give you a copy of my letter.
Wording is the key.

In regards to number two I suggest calling customs and asking about
bringing a glider storage container, tell them it has wheels to move
the container around the airport, but the container is not going to be
used on public roads. Call customs in the port of entry where you are
going to bring the glider.

AK