Is this for real

Old January 29th 18, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Is this for real

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 5:18:54 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 6:27:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Received an email from the following email address quebec.tango....l.com, requesting a reply to verify my contact. The text says it is from Hank Nixon but this is not his regular email address. the subjec is 'QT on behlf of Hank Nixon"
Is this for real?
Boise Pilot

This is legit.
John Godfrey(QT) is testing an alternative communication method to get better contact with pilots on the US pilot ranking list.
This follows a test message UH sent in December and follow up on RAS.
A major portion of our group apparently has not been getting messages such as poll and election announcements.
John is working on a fix.
UH

The problem with sending to a long list is that mail servers will block e-mails if sent to too many recipients, or if too many e-mails are received from a specific server per hour, among other reasons. Servers may also limited an account or domain to some maximum number of outgoing e-mails per hour (500 is common). I use tools like phpList to throttle outbound traffic to one message every 12 seconds, which is 300 per hour to stay within the domain limit. Even long time options like mailman suffers if there are too many e-mails to AOL, Hotmail(MSN, Outlook.com, Live.com, Earthlink, Mindspring, Yahoo). Worse is that some servers will not give you a bounce reply, they seem to just blackhole at times. Today I sent a few e-mails to an SSA member with a Verizon account, most successfully, but I got a bounce on a reply, from AOL. Remember, Verizon bought AOL and Yahoo and after the bounce, I found this https://help.aol.com/articles/verizo...o-aol-mail-faq which I recommend to anyone having issues with their Verizon account.

One reason the SSA moved away from Constant Contact for SSA e-News was the bounce rate. I had the opportunity to chat a bit during a fund raiser with a tech guy from Constant Contact (which has at least contracted services in the region) and other admins about the bounce rate. I gathered that 50% of their outgoing servers are blacklisted at any time. It's getting so it might be easier to use Twitter or text (gack, can't believe it may have come to that), but there are bulk text methods. Not sure the Twitter penetration among the pilot ranking list is very high either.

Good luck with finding a solution that actually works. If you do, please share.

Frank Whiteley
Old January 29th 18, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

'Fraid I won't be receiving messages from either Twitter or Facebook.Â*
Maybe if I was 60 years younger...

--
Dan, 5J

Old January 29th 18, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 11:00:45 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
'Fraid I won't be receiving messages from either Twitter or Facebook.Â*
Maybe if I was 60 years younger...

And I don't have any interest in text messages (SMS). Email is better and more permanant, easy to store and reference.
Old January 29th 18, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Facebook? Oh, you mean that data collection site where people willingly supply where they live, their birthdays, their family relationships, who their friends are, their education level, their interests, photos of their stuff, photos of their children and then let everyone know their home will be empty dining the time the vacation photos are posted. Why wouldn't you want to join the lemmings?

A friend of mine just had her house cleaned out while she was posting how sick she was in the hospital. Some FB friends really aren't your friends. Sorry for the rant but...

Old January 30th 18, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No wonder Constant Contact is blocked by many servers, their "emails" are very bulky in size (number of bytes). And hard to read inside email softwa they are really web pages (of the cluttered multi-column types) embedded in an email. And all the links within such an email are indirect, to be spied on (potentially). Gah! The sooner we all stop using such services the better.
Old January 30th 18, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 12:07:41 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 11:00:45 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
'Fraid I won't be receiving messages from either Twitter or Facebook.Â*
Maybe if I was 60 years younger...

And I don't have any interest in text messages (SMS). Email is better and more permanant, easy to store and reference.

Emails are easy to store when they are 3 kilobytes of plain text, not wrapped in 300 kilobytes of totally unnecessary HTML formatting gobbledegook. The emails I get from services such as Constant Contact (or Mailchimp, etc) I usually delete (after not reading them much), or, if I really want to keep the text, I forward them to myself as plain text.

THE REAL J3 SKUNK WORKS Aviation Photos 1 August 22nd 08 09:41 PM
Is this for real? JohnO Rotorcraft 12 May 30th 06 03:49 AM
Is this for real!?!?!? Casey Wilson Piloting 4 May 13th 06 08:40 PM
FS: Real Bicycle Seats for Real People! [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 February 22nd 06 11:24 PM
Real-time real world air traffic in flight sims Marty Ross Simulators 6 September 1st 03 04:13 AM