Wing re-finishing article

Old August 27th 09, 10:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wing re-finishing article

might be of interest to some peeps on here....

http://mindensoaringclub.com/int2/in...176&Item id=1

Cheers

Al
Old August 29th 09, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Murphy

My G102's wings are in need of some TLC and I'm wondering if someone
has some suggestions other than the method described in the article
posted by Al. My wings are generally in good shape (few cracks or
stains), but the entire top surface feels like 400 grit sandpaper.
Same for the horizontal stabalizer. The undersides of the wings are
smooth and in good shape. Even though the wings are rough feeling,
they have a nice shine.

I've tried the WX products sold by Tim at Wings and Wheels, and I've
tried the metal polish and polymer products which were recommended by
Del at DriWash. No real improvement. It appears that the wings have
a thin oxidized coating evenly distributed over their surface. This
happened prior to my ownership as the ship has always been in a hanger
since I've had it.

I'm hesitant to using sandpaper as the gel coat is about 25 years old
and is thin in areas and I don't want to sand any of it away unless
absolutely necessary. In my case, it seems that the wings need this
oxidation cleaned away as opposed to sanded off, but I could be wrong
as know nothing about gel coat repair.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

John.
Old August 29th 09, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al[_7_]

On Aug 28, 6:55*pm, Murphy wrote:
[...]

John you can always try a small patch as a test....

The wings I was working on were finished in IMRON which is a PU paint
and softer than Gel.
I would not however go down below 600 when trying to remove
oxidization.

Cheers

Al
Old August 29th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 28, 9:55*pm, Murphy wrote:
[...]

Polishing a rough area accomplishes little.
Your best bet is a light sanding, probably starting with either 600 or
1000 grit paper, followed by additional sandings progressing to 1200
or so. From there, machine polishing will bring back the shine.
None of this takes off much material, but it does partially restore
the surface and improve reflectivity which will extend the remaining
life in the gel coat.
Be sure to wax or otherwise protect the polished surface at the end to
keep moisture out as well as possible.
When refinishing, we start at 400 or 600 depending on how good the
spray job is and go 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, then polish . You
don't need to work that hard dor what you are doing.
There is no wipe on- wipe off solution to what you have- you gotta
push some sand.
Good luck
UH
Old August 29th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Al wrote:

John you can always try a small patch as a test....

The wings I was working on were finished in IMRON which is a PU paint
and softer than Gel.

This is useful information that wasn't in the article; in fact, it
mentioned gel goat was being removed. Were the cracks and peeling in
just the Imron, or also in the underlying gel coat? If they were also in
the gel coat (I'm assuming the Grob started life with gel coat), it
sounds like they were bad enough to require refinishing, not just a
light sanding and polishing.

Does anyone know if sanding Imron presents any health hazards different
from sanding gel coat?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Glider Re-finishing Ian K Soaring 7 January 4th 07 10:29 PM
Airframe finishing and tooling nondem Home Built 10 May 26th 06 02:15 AM
Aircraft Finishing Systems [email protected] Home Built 3 January 6th 06 07:03 AM
Aircraft Finishing Systems [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 January 4th 06 10:45 PM
Aircraft Finishing Systems [email protected] Restoration 0 January 4th 06 10:41 PM