PAL vs. NTSC

Old August 29th 09, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Default PAL vs. NTSC

"I don't know if the difference between PAL & NTSC matters on a DVD or
not, but it has been recorded from a PAL video."

This quote comes from someone who is offering me a soaring video. Can I
use a PAL recording in the USA or find a way to make it playable?

Old August 29th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Maybe. Some of the latest DVD players sold in the USA can play PAL DVDs.
My DVD player is just a year or 2 old and it can't. Likewise, many new
computers sold in the USA can play both NTSC and PAL DVDs. My computer is
about 2 to 3 years old and it plays PAL DVDs just fine.

The same is true of DVD players outside the USA. Many new ones can play
NTSC DVDs. I sell NTSC DVDs to customers outside the USA often - clearly
stating on my web site that they may or may not work outside the USA. I
can't recall having any come back to me.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old August 29th 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

On Aug 29, 1:39*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Some of the latest DVD players sold in the USA can play PAL DVDs.
My DVD player is just a year or 2 old and it can't. *

You also need the TV to be able to play PAL DVDs.

Be careful of "region-coded" DVDs; many players will only accept a
limited number of region changes - too many and they are designed to
lockup. That can also apply to computer players.

In case of difficulty, consider
- ripping the DVD and changing its format using something like
"ffmpeg"
- uploading it to youtube
always presuming there are no copyright issues

Old August 29th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I disagree about the TV being able to support PAL. I believe that many new
U.S. DVD players can play a PAL DVD just fine and it will display fine on
any TV.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old August 29th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vorsanger1

I know that I am not answering the direct question, but I was told
that NTSC for the format used in the U.S. stands for "Never Twice the
Same Color "

Cheers, Charles
Old August 29th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

On Aug 29, 6:43*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

I disagree about the TV being able to support PAL. *I believe that many new
U.S. DVD players can play a PAL DVD just fine and it will display fine on
any TV.

PAL DVDs: 720*576 pixels at 25Hz
NTSC DVDs: 720*480 pixels at 29.97Hz

So not any TV, but any "modern" TV, for an appropriate definition of
"modern".
Old August 30th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
November Bravo

On Aug 29, 8:30*am, Nyal Williams wrote:
"I don't know if the difference between PAL & NTSC matters on a DVD or
not, but it has been recorded from a PAL video."

This quote comes from someone who is offering me a soaring video. * Can I
use a PAL recording in the USA or find a way to make it playable?

I use my macintosh computer to play my PAL videos from both europe and
new zealand.