Dan Rather apologizes

Old September 21st 04, 11:46 AM
Stephen Harding

Cub Driver wrote:
Somewhat smarmy, but welcome nevertheless:

********************************
After extensive additional interviews, I no longer have the confidence
in these documents that would allow us to continue vouching for them
journalistically," he said. "I find we have been misled on the key
question of how our source for the documents came into possession of
these papers. That, combined with some of the questions that have been
raised in public and in the press, leads me to a point where -- if I
knew then what I know now -- I would not have gone ahead with the
story as it was aired, and I certainly would not have used the
documents in question."

*****************************

In the Washington Post, which has covered this story honestly from the
beginning:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Sep20.html

I heard an interesting spin on this story from Dan Shore of NPR.
It was a little editorial rather than a report, but shows a bit
of left-leaning thinking on his part IMO.

The documents were probably generated from someone's "remembrance"
of the content of the real things, which have since vanished.

So in effect, even though the paper might not be real, the *content*
is correct.

Hope springs eternal.

SMH

Old September 21st 04, 03:01 PM
Leadfoot

From: "Leadfoot"
Date: 9/20/2004 11:31 PM Central Daylight Time

snip

Also:
"It was an error that was made, however, in good faith and in the

spirit
of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting

without
fear or favoritism.

Please know that nothing is more important to us than people's trust in
our ability and our commitment to report fairly and truthfully. "

No favoritism?
Fair?
Running a bash-the-candidate story 8 weeks before the election?
That's a new definition of fair to me.
Where is the bash Kerry story that should be there for balance?

Give them a good story to bash Kerry with. I think at the moment CBS

would
kill for one.

Unfortunately for the repugnants is that the latest on Kerry's medals is
that they were all awarded legitimately according to a navy investigation

in
a DOD press release on Friday (the day to release news you want ignored)

I have to admit that I understand why people would think Shrub is

smarter.
You have to be really dumb to go to Vietnam if you don't have to. ;-)

Ignoring the slam on those of who went to Viet Nam voluntarily

It's sarcasm, did you see the ;-) ?

why not dredge
up kerry's political history? He won't talk about it. Maybe he has

something to
hide.

I could forgive bush being AWOL if he'd just talk about it. Still wouldn't
vote for the moron.

My vote will be more anti-bush than pro Kerry. Getting us into a needless
war is a firing offense. Not properly planning for the occupation of Iraq
is a second firing offense.

BTW Kerry killed a man to protect his crew and his boat. I think he has
what it takes to protect the US.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old September 21st 04, 04:54 PM
B2431

From: "Leadfoot"
Date: 9/21/2004 9:01 AM Central Daylight Time

From: "Leadfoot"

Date: 9/20/2004 11:31 PM Central Daylight Time

[...]

Prove he was AWOL. He was never cited for it or such proof would surely have
been presented by now.

Still wouldn't
vote for the moron.

My vote will be more anti-bush than pro Kerry. Getting us into a needless
war is a firing offense. Not properly planning for the occupation of Iraq
is a second firing offense.

BTW Kerry killed a man to protect his crew and his boat. I think he has
what it takes to protect the US.

He was a company grade officer. That alone doesn't make him qualified. What is
his political record? Why does he slam Bush instead of telling us about his OWN
glowing achievemnts?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old September 21st 04, 04:59 PM
John S. Shinal

(Harry Andreas) wrote:

quoting CBS
"It was an error that was made, however, in good faith and in the spirit
of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting without
fear or favoritism.

Please know that nothing is more important to us than people's trust in
our ability and our commitment to report fairly and truthfully. "

Even their "apology" is a brazen lie.

When they

1. Ignore document experts who are counseling them that their
sources have questionable authenticity

2. Ignore relatives of the decedent who are counseling them
that their sources have questionable authenticity

3. Ignore the secretary that wrote documents for the very unit
at issue, when she counsels them their sources have questionable
authenticity

4. Sweepingly adopt a signature and handwriting expert's
opinion on one portion of a document, and apply it to the whole, while
clearly leading the viewers to believe the whole are being vetted

Then it's really hard to take CBS seriously when they say they
are committed to fairness and truthfulness. They knew plenty
beforehand that indicated the docs were questionable. They cheerfully
and quite intentionally ignored anything that did not fit their
predetermined conclusions.

Ditto CNN's "Tailwind" fabrications about nerve gas
Ditto CBS/Rather's Viet Nam Vet's "expose" about PTSD
Ditto the NBC (Dateline ?) rigged gas tank explosions for
Chevy trucks in side impacts
Ditto the NY Times /Jayson Blair

Once upon a time, people actually investigated to see if the
points they presented were actually true.

Those days are sadly, long gone.

Dan Rather's rush to get this story into the news and smear Bush weeks
before the election speaks volumes about his politics and ethics.

and a cast of thousands more...

Old September 21st 04, 08:50 PM
John Szalay

Greasy Rider wrote:

"It was an error that was made, however, in good faith and in the spirit
of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting
without fear or favoritism."

Favoritism? Nah, not the Clinton Broadcasting System.

http://www.kcomposite.com/saintclinton.com/
Old September 22nd 04, 01:13 AM
Leslie Swartz

Hey Leadfoot:

Remove the "spin," and what the USN IG said was

NOT

"an investigation has determined that kerry earned his medals"

BUT INSTEAD

"their appears to be insufficient reason for an investigation"

Bi-i-i-i-i-i-ig difference, homes.

Steve Swartz

"Leadfoot" wrote in message
news8O3d.329675$Oi.320638@fed1read04...

"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

This story's mere presence on a highly watched news show this
close to an election demonstrates favoritism.

I have questioned the credibility of television news, 60 Minutes in
particular and CBS in general ever since they ran the Audi unintended
acceleration stories back in the 80's. There have been many, many
instances of biased journalism from this crew since then.

This story bears an uncanny resemblance to NBC's rigged gas tank
explosions in 1992.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

Old September 22nd 04, 03:43 AM
Leadfoot

"Leslie Swartz" wrote in message
Hey Leadfoot:

Remove the "spin," and what the USN IG said was

NOT

"an investigation has determined that kerry earned his medals"

BUT INSTEAD

"their appears to be insufficient reason for an investigation"

Bi-i-i-i-i-i-ig difference, homes.

No diference at all MORON,

ROTFLMAO

Steve Swartz

Lets print the whole article, you repugnants seem to be in love with
snippage

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Navy has rejected a legal watchdog group's
request to open an investigation into military awards given to Democratic
presidential nominee John Kerry during the Vietnam War, saying his medals
were properly approved.
"Our examination found that existing documentation regarding the Silver
Star, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart medals indicates the awards approval
process was properly followed," the Navy's inspector general, Vice Admiral
Ronald Route, said in a memo written to Navy Secretary Gordon England.

"In particular, the senior officers who awarded the medals were properly
delegated authority to do so. In addition we found that they correctly
followed the procedures in place at the time for approving these awards."

In rejecting the request for an investigation made by Judicial Watch last
month, Route said that "conducting any additional review regarding events
that took place over thirty years ago would not be productive."

Kerry has been criticized by a group of Vietnam veterans called Swift Boat
Veterans for Truth, about whether he earned the decorations Kerry's campaign
has touted during his campaign for the presidency.

SBVT are slime dogs

Old September 22nd 04, 03:48 AM
Leadfoot

From: "Leadfoot"
Date: 9/21/2004 9:01 AM Central Daylight Time

From: "Leadfoot"

Date: 9/20/2004 11:31 PM Central Daylight Time

[...]

Yeah daddy bush sure would have been happy with that one

Still wouldn't
vote for the moron.

My vote will be more anti-bush than pro Kerry. Getting us into a

needless
war is a firing offense. Not properly planning for the occupation of

Iraq
is a second firing offense.

BTW Kerry killed a man to protect his crew and his boat. I think he has
what it takes to protect the US.

He was a company grade officer. That alone doesn't make him qualified.

What is
his political record? Why does he slam Bush instead of telling us about

his OWN
glowing achievemnts?

Why is he unqualified to defend the US?

You do realize Dubya is the best recruiter Osama Bin-laden ever had.

http://tinyurl.com/6wztn

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired