Android Skew-t app

Old March 28th 14, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Android Skew-t app

Made the conversion, looks nice. Now I need to review how to use the Skew-T
chart.

"Dan Marotta" wrote in message
I tried to use the identifier for Moriarty, NM, K0E0, and get the error,
[Failed to load KE!]. Does the program not accept numerals (zero) in the
identifier? Still working on the conversion to decimal Lat/Lon...

"kiwiindenver" wrote in message
On Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:12:02 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
Sweet. Being able to save and name "favorite" locations would be great.

It seems like there is some round up on the ground elevation? When I put
KHUT, Hutchinson, KS, in it has the base altitude at 2000 ft when it
should be more like 1600.

Also looks like the default time is 8 am to 7 pm. That's OK but I think
by this time of the day the Op40 should be able to forecast to tomorrow
morning which would be nice. Perhaps you could have it start at 8 am of
the current day and go out as far as the forecast is available?

Next of course will be to include the other models...

I really like this presentation and thinking will come in really handy.

Thanks for that feedback. I'll take a look at those problems.

Your right about the time, I set those limits thinking it would easily
cover most soaring needs. I'll do some more investigation to see what
data is available for download.

How many favourites do you think you would want? How many would you use
regularly? How many would you use once in a blue moon?

How important are the other models? Would this be a set & forget item or
something you change regularly?

Old March 28th 14, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

Yes I currently strip numerals. I will fix that for you.
Old March 28th 14, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

This is a very worthwhile effort. I get a very readable graph if I turn my Nexus 7 horizontally, set 'low altitude display' and zoom in 2X. That makes the fonts big enough to read easily and displays the altitude of interest (up to about 10K for me). And it allows me to see the wind speed graph at the same time.

The 'time warp' slider is informative and helps to get a feel for how conditions change through the day.

Here are some not necessarily good ideas off the top of my head:

It might be useful to have the option to set surface temperature automatically based on forecast.

For eastern pilots,it might be useful to have the option to display the data to top of 10K, but only if you also had the option to choose a larger font.
Old March 28th 14, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, March 28, 2014 11:01:44 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
This is a very worthwhile effort. I get a very readable graph if I turn my Nexus 7 horizontally, set 'low altitude display' and zoom in 2X. That makes the fonts big enough to read easily and displays the altitude of interest (up to about 10K for me). And it allows me to see the wind speed graph at the same time.

The 'time warp' slider is informative and helps to get a feel for how conditions change through the day.

Here are some not necessarily good ideas off the top of my head:

It might be useful to have the option to set surface temperature automatically based on forecast.

For eastern pilots,it might be useful to have the option to display the data to top of 10K, but only if you also had the option to choose a larger font.

It might be useful to display a user-defined vertical line in the wind graph.

It might be useful to display a small circular surface wind direction indicator.

It might not be useful, but I'm curious what one would see if you implemented a 'geographic position' slider, to for example incrementally change the ground position upwind while keeping time constant.

Also somewhat outside the scope of your project, I like to look at how cloud cover is predicted to change through the day.

flub, there is already a site that does all your 'useful' functions splendidly:
http://www-frd.fsl.noaa.gov/mab/soundings/java/

You can load it on your Nexus through any browser. I think the Android app is just fine in displaying a limited subset of that data.
Many thanks Alan, very nice app you put together.
Old March 28th 14, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

http://www-frd.fsl.noaa.gov/mab/soundings/java/

You can load it on your Nexus through any browser. I think the Android app is just fine in displaying a limited subset of that data.

Many thanks Alan, very nice app you put together.

FYI. One reason I wrote this app is my Nexus-7 doesn't have a supported java plugin so you can't load the noaa site.

I do agree that I want to keep this app simple but functional.

Old March 28th 14, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

Thanks for all the testing and feedback everybody has given me.

I've just posted a new fix.
- The ground level reading in now included in the graph
- Airport ID's with numbers are allowed.

I'm working on adding different data sources which will allow global use.

What do you think about adding support for waypoint files? You could then use waypoint names as an alternative to Airport ID.
Old March 28th 14, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

I personally would love to see easy support for other models. For me, it wouldn't be a "set and forget" thing. I regularly consult different models to get an idea of consistency across them.

Nice job, by the way!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old March 28th 14, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

On Friday, March 28, 2014 2:52:18 PM UTC-6, 2KA wrote:
I personally would love to see easy support for other models. For me, it wouldn't be a "set and forget" thing. I regularly consult different models to get an idea of consistency across them.

Nice job, by the way!

Lynn Alley

"2KA"

This might be making work for myself :-).

Would it be useful to overlay two (or more) models onto the same graph? If I did that cleanly would it now be a set & forget setting?
Old March 28th 14, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I think that would be a cool option
Old March 29th 14, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Alan,
Thanks a lot. It works like charm for where I am. I especially like the moving graphics.
Is there a way we can get some forecasting, like one or two days? Right now I can only get the current day.

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:25:32 AM UTC-7, kiwiindenver wrote:
Hi All,
Snip, Snip

As a recently licensed pilot I decided it would be a good idea to learn more about soaring weather prediction, specifically the workings of a Skew-t graph.

I published by first Android App.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.ajw.skewt

I hope many of you find this useful.

I welcome your suggestions for improvements. As I said, this is new to me.

Enjoy.

Alan

skew-t access Peter von Tresckow Soaring 5 October 10th 13 09:02 PM
Android XC Soar Paul Besing Soaring 3 May 3rd 11 09:39 PM
XCSoar for Android Sean Fidler Soaring 6 March 21st 11 06:50 PM
Android App Mike[_36_] Soaring 8 July 14th 10 10:53 AM
Skew-T charts on Dr. Jacks ? Doug Snyder Soaring 3 April 25th 05 07:36 PM