Gordon Boettger Glider Record Attempt - Mon 03/21/2016

Old March 21st 16, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Gordon Boettger Glider Record Attempt - Mon 03/21/2016

Monitor the @wrogerswx twitter feed for updates.

I haven't made any for about 2 hours since he's on the boring "Plan B", zig-zag on the Sierras. Probably will arrive back over Minden after turning about 10nm north of Inyokern.

Talked to Gordo a couple of hours ago... and the plan was to make a couple of passes up and down the Sierras then perhaps turn E-NE bound for extra OLC miles.

As of 11:34am PDT... Dennis Tito is back in the Inyokern area after turning over Mono Lake.

Walt Rogers WX
Old March 21st 16, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ok I found them, they show running northbound east of Topaz lake. Man I sure do miss that country.
Old March 21st 16, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Walt what are you flying these days? I remember when you had the asw15 up there in minden years ago.
Old March 21st 16, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 11:48:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Walt what are you flying these days? I remember when you had the asw15 up there in minden years ago.

Discus 2A. Just "got back in the saddle" last Sunday first flight of season out of Tehachapi, Mountain Valley airport local flying.

Walt WX
Old March 21st 16, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Plan B it is. Wasn't sure the wave was going to be consistent over the Basin and Range.. HRRR seemed to show just a short time when things lined up.
Jet Pilot is a late starter today... Perhaps another speed run? How do you beat last week's 305kph over 300K?
The Glideport.aero tracking site gained the ability to view regional flights a couple of weeks ago, so looking at [California and Nevada] shows Russ Owens, Larry Armi, Dennis Tito, Jet Pilot and Gordo. flying out of Lone Pine, Inyokern and Minden.
Jim
Old March 21st 16, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good to hear Walt, I just got back involved myself, but down (up) graded from the pilatus b4 and my bro's ventus back into doing some 1-26 record chasing. I sure do miss the minden susanville mt patterson bishop soaring and wave scene however. Its a vastly different world soaring this swamp country of n. Fl and s. Al.
Old March 21st 16, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Hi Walt,

where do you find the hi res satellite loops that go all day? the ADDS satellite loop only lasts 9 frames. :/
Old March 21st 16, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

With all due respect, rather than debate the merits of past deeds and which is more difficult, the real point is Gordo is actually planning and flying flights to push boundaries. It matters not the stead or the goal, it is doing something that others don't dare, and therein is what matters.

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 11:03:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Yep a long distance wave flight ingenders an entirely different set of challenges, but I would not say they are greater. Yes 400 miles in a 1-26 via thermal (charles shaw et al) or wave (bob speilman) has been done but its a rare comodity. My point was slightly tongue in cheek, but the degree of skill required in an historic 1-26 flight is imho a good measure above that needed for long distance in an ultra performance ship.

A 400 mile 1-26 flight is equivalent to an 800+ mile flight in a duo or for that matter, a 1,000 mile fight in an arcus or js1. The same degree of meteorologic experties and prep is needed for both classes of flight, but the 1-26 or other very low performance driver is always one decision away from a land out, while the higher performing ship grants its pilot a wonderfull L/D "cushion".
They are two very different but both very challenging endevores.

Old March 21st 16, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I agree with you there. They are taking the time applying the energy and planning to streatxh the limits. All I am advocating for is that there is another vector available for limit pushing. There is a spoken and many times unspoken bias in our soaring world against low performance flying. When I see it I respond in an attempt to maybe help change that bias just a little. I applaud every great flight be it a high performance bird or one that is low.

I just wish folks would give credit anywhere they see it. Sorry for being ever on this soap box but I feel the low-performance=incapable-or-amateur attitude is a large reason we see our glider flying ranks diminishing.
Old March 21st 16, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 4:04:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I agree with you there. They are taking the time applying the energy and planning to streatxh the limits. All I am advocating for is that there is another vector available for limit pushing. There is a spoken and many times unspoken bias in our soaring world against low performance flying. When I see it I respond in an attempt to maybe help change that bias just a little.. I applaud every great flight be it a high performance bird or one that is low.

I just wish folks would give credit anywhere they see it. Sorry for being ever on this soap box but I feel the low-performance=incapable-or-amateur attitude is a large reason we see our glider flying ranks diminishing.

1-Great attempt at a large flight today, sorry it didn't go as planned, but still a good way to use what is available.
2-As to "low performance", it's part of why our club starts in a 2-33, then a 1-26, then up from there. For me, it was, "Get ~200hrs going places in a 1-26 before you get the 'keys' to higher performance". I learned a lot in those 200+hrs. It's still basic flying and making you "read the sky" & "work thermals".

I had numerous flights with Ron (I believe he earned all badges in a 1-26) and others out of Blairstown, NJ. as well as some other 1-26 drivers out of our field.

In some aspects, I think starting training in glass is a disservice (although new pilots like the look of glass than a 2-33) since some don't really learn to soar before trying to go places in a 1-34/Pegasus or beyond. They get frustrated and then move on.......

Anyway, enough "tangential talk", waiting to see how today's flight ends up..