FAR Question

Old February 6th 04, 09:18 PM
Chuck

Default FAR Question

First off, I am an A&P, but not a pilot.

I have a relative that has a glider and needs to put "wing wheels" on his
glider. He said that they want some pretty decent money for them.

I have a friend that is an excellent machinist and I was thinking of getting
them together and see if he can make some wheels for him.

I don't know how the reg's work with gliders. Does he need to have an STC to
do this?

Is there an reason why this shouldn't be done?

Thanks...

Chuck

---

Old February 6th 04, 09:54 PM
Bill Daniels

What glider? Standard certificate or Experimental?

It it's a Schweizer, the wing wheels bear an absolutely uncanny resemblance
to a hockey puck with a 3/8" hole in the middle. Of course, you may also
need the spring arm that supports them.

If it's experimental, in-line skate wheels work great.

Is there an reason why this shouldn't be done?

Yeah, tell your friend to stop dragging the wing tips.

Bill Daniels

link.net...

Old February 6th 04, 09:55 PM
Bob Kuykendall

At 21:24 06 February 2004, Chuck wrote:

I don't know how the reg's work with gliders.
Does he need to have an STC to
do this?

In general:

The majority of gliders operate under the same FARs
as small airplanes. The way I understand it, an STC
and/or 337 paperwork is only required if the glider
holds type certification and a standard airworthiness
certificate, and then only if it is determined that
the addition constitutes a major modification.

If the glider holds Experimental certification (either
Racing, Exhibition, or Amateur-Built) and a Special
Airworthiness Certificate, probably all that is required
is a logbook entry by the installer. For Experimentals,
the operating limitations that accompany the airworthiness
certificate will probably have specific instructions
about modifications.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com

Old February 6th 04, 09:57 PM
Chuck

Sorry, it is a Schweizer 1 36, which I assume would have a standard
certificate. He hasn't flown it yet, so he isn't dragging...yet...

Old February 7th 04, 02:33 AM
Jim Phoenix

"Chuck" wrote in message thlink.net...
Sorry, it is a Schweizer 1 36, which I assume would have a standard
certificate. He hasn't flown it yet, so he isn't dragging...yet...

It appears the 1-36 has wing tip wheel assemblies that are approved as
part of its type design. (Ref. photo page 201 in the book Sailplanes
by Schweizer) I'm sure they are expensive if bought from Schweizer.
They have Standard Airworthiness Certificates.

Jim
Old February 7th 04, 03:45 AM
Chuck

But my question is, if we want to make our own instead of buying them, do we
need to get an STC?

"Jim Phoenix" wrote in message
om...

thlink.net...

Old February 7th 04, 04:14 AM
Bill Daniels

"Chuck" wrote in message
link.net...
But my question is, if we want to make our own instead of buying them, do

we
need to get an STC?

Subject to confirmation, I believe there is a loophole in the FAR's that let
the owner/operator of a certified aircraft make parts for that aircraft.
However, those parts must be installed by an A&P and suitable logbook
entries made.

Bill Daniels
(Happy to own a glider with an experimental certificate of airworthiness)

Old February 7th 04, 04:36 AM
Tim Ward

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message

"Chuck" wrote in message
link.net...
But my question is, if we want to make our own instead of buying them,

do
we
need to get an STC?

Subject to confirmation, I believe there is a loophole in the FAR's that

let
the owner/operator of a certified aircraft make parts for that aircraft.
However, those parts must be installed by an A&P and suitable logbook
entries made.

Bill Daniels
(Happy to own a glider with an experimental certificate of airworthiness)

Take a look at:
http://www1.faa.gov/avr/afs/news/arc...gust/IvsWe.htm

and see if you can get any of those ideas to work for you.

Tim Ward

Old February 7th 04, 04:39 AM
Jim Phoenix

You can make your own parts for your Standard category glider. There's
guidance on that, they just need to be identical to the manufacturer's
parts, do a search on www.faa.gov, there's AC's and other topics that
will guide you.

I've bought new parts from Schweizer, like a new 1-26 release arm for
$186. I know the tip wheels (with steel springs) are VERY expensive,
but can't remember how many hundreds of dollars they were. Some parts
may not be, like some placards seemed reasonable. Call them and then
let us know what they quote you for those wheel assemblies (I presume
you need the spring steel mounts as well?), maybe I'm wrong, or they
lowered the price, it's been a couple of years.

If you need to only replace the wheels, like Bill said, they appear to
be very similar to hockey pucks and legend has it, that's what they
were. Certainly don't need an STC, if it were even classified as a
major alteraiton, your local IA can handle that process, but that
seems a bit excessive for tip wheels.

Jim