FAR Question

Old February 7th 04, 05:03 AM
Bill Daniels

"Jim Phoenix" wrote in message
om...
If you need to only replace the wheels, like Bill said, they appear to
be very similar to hockey pucks and legend has it, that's what they
were. Certainly don't need an STC, if it were even classified as a
major alteraiton, your local IA can handle that process, but that
seems a bit excessive for tip wheels.

Jim

Shop trick: If you need to drill holes in a bunch of hockey pucks, freeze
them in liquid nitrogen. Once frozen, they drill just like aluminum. (LN2
is very cheap from industrial gas suppliers. They'll rent you a small dewar
to transport it with.)

(If you fly a Schweizer, you'll NEED a bunch of hockey pucks with holes in
them.)

Bill Daniels

Old February 7th 04, 05:48 AM
Jim Phoenix

Good trick Bill,

Those dewars are also handy for installing press-fit bushings. Just don't
drop the hockey puck in its frozen state!

Jim

Old February 7th 04, 07:36 AM
Chuck

"Tim Ward" wrote in message

snip

Take a look at:
http://www1.faa.gov/avr/afs/news/arc...gust/IvsWe.htm

and see if you can get any of those ideas to work for you.

Tim Ward

Great article Tim...

Looks like that pretty well answered my questions, and it even had
references!

After reading that, it sounds like that the owner of the glider can have the
part made under the glider owners supervision, and I , as an A&P, can
install the part with just a logbook entry.

Thanks a million!
You guys are great!

Chuck

---

Old February 7th 04, 11:54 AM
Scott

Uh, I think that if you build the part yourself, you must have an original
to use as a pattern or the engineering plans from the type certificate
holder so that you are making an EXACT copy of the "certified" part using
the EXACT materials used to make the certified part. If all of that is
done, I believe a log book entry is sufficient

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/

"Chuck" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old February 7th 04, 04:24 PM
plasticguy

"Bob Kuykendall" In general:

The majority of gliders operate under the same FARs
as small airplanes. The way I understand it, an STC
and/or 337 paperwork is only required if the glider
holds type certification and a standard airworthiness
certificate, and then only if it is determined that
the addition constitutes a major modification.

If the glider holds Experimental certification (either
Racing, Exhibition, or Amateur-Built) and a Special
Airworthiness Certificate, probably all that is required
is a logbook entry by the installer. For Experimentals,
the operating limitations that accompany the airworthiness
certificate will probably have specific instructions
about modifications.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com

DING!!!! We have a winner.

An STC is not required. An STC is a device that allows for repeated
installations of a
pre-engineered assembly on multiple aircraft. There is linkage with an STC
and a PMA
holder for the manufacture of the components.

A form 337 will be required and an associated field approval noted in the
logbook.
This is because the scope of the work will exceed AC43's descriptions of
repairs.
Since it isn't outlined in AC43, the feds make the assumption that it will
be a major
modification. The logic being that it isn't defined as a Major Repair or
Alteration or
allowable as a minor repair. That leaves a 337 as the regulators way out.
The good news
is that you can do it on the cheap with skate wheels that work really well
and the paperwork
isn't that involved.

I also think you might need to brush up on the regs if you hang your shingle
out
and work in the real world. All the doc's are online and the AD notes are
on CD
and the omnthly updates are reasonable (and mandatory if your an IA).

Bob is correct about logbook entrys being needed for Experimental AC but in
actual practice this seldom occurs as the config of the a/p usually isn't
clearly defined
when the CofA is issued......

Food for thought

Scott..

Old February 7th 04, 05:29 PM
BTIZ

I believe a DAR can look at the parts and certify them for use.

we had to do that with the top fiberglass cover for the rudder on our glider

BT

"Chuck" wrote in message
link.net...
But my question is, if we want to make our own instead of buying them, do

we
need to get an STC?

"Jim Phoenix" wrote in message
om...
"Chuck" wrote in message

thlink.net...
Sorry, it is a Schweizer 1 36, which I assume would have a standard
certificate. He hasn't flown it yet, so he isn't dragging...yet...

It appears the 1-36 has wing tip wheel assemblies that are approved as
part of its type design. (Ref. photo page 201 in the book Sailplanes
by Schweizer) I'm sure they are expensive if bought from Schweizer.
They have Standard Airworthiness Certificates.

Jim

---