A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LX S80 or ERA 80?

Old November 28th 17, 10:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default LX S80 or ERA 80?

What are then many details that the ERA has that are more advantageous than S80/S100?

Maybe I was a bit too enthousiastic when referring to the ERA having an edge in "many details". S100 and ERA are very very similar devices both covering an almost identical feature set. I believe the only real feature innovations of the ERA are Wifi and the SPOT option.

I personally put a lot of emphasis on visual appearance and feel that the ERA has set a new benchmark in terms of providing the most important information at a glans. In contrast I feel that the S100 tends too put to much information on the small screen and does not make good use of color coding to help quick perception of the information provided. The S100 does allow cleaning up the view with some configuration - but within limits.

In any case, this is a very subjective perspective. There are plenty of device screenshots available, allowing you to form an own opinion concerning the visual representation.
Old November 28th 17, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dirk_PW
external usenet poster

I've had the S80 for 2 years now. The user interface can be customized to be as complicated or simple as you like. For me... I don't like the thermal helper, so I turned that page off. I don't like the airspace markings on the small moving map, so I turned them off. I don't use the task page, so I turned that page off. I didn't need all the fields on the vario page, so I turned some of them off. I love the flexibility it gives you since I like to keep things simple. Of course, this requires some investment up front to figure out what you want and configure the instrument accordingly. If folks complain that the instrument is 'too cluttered', they simply left everything 'enabled' and decided not to learn how to customize the instrument.

For me, the best feature of the S80 is the customer support from LXNav. In the past, I've made some complaints about certain features missing or minor bugs and LXNav has responded with software updates. Awesome!
Old November 29th 17, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 11:42:32 AM UTC-7, Dirk_PW wrote:
I've had the S80 for 2 years now. The user interface can be customized to be as complicated or simple as you like. For me... I don't like the thermal helper, so I turned that page off. I don't like the airspace markings on the small moving map, so I turned them off. I don't use the task page, so I turned that page off. I didn't need all the fields on the vario page, so I turned some of them off. I love the flexibility it gives you since I like to keep things simple. Of course, this requires some investment up front to figure out what you want and configure the instrument accordingly. If folks complain that the instrument is 'too cluttered', they simply left everything 'enabled' and decided not to learn how to customize the instrument.

For me, the best feature of the S80 is the customer support from LXNav. In the past, I've made some complaints about certain features missing or minor bugs and LXNav has responded with software updates. Awesome!

I've had the S80 for 2 years also. I like it much much more than the 302 that I had before and I think it is the perfect vario for me, a fun-fly x/c pilot (without a clearnav, Ultimate, or LX90XX) that follows the good wx for distance. It's changed the way I use my navigation tools in the cockpit much to the better. It does require a lot of setup and experimentation up front, mostly because the manual is so bad (better for non-English users?). Most of the fields, options and parameters have only the most basic description, so if you don't know, you don't know, and have to experiment. That said, the basic features are straightforward and the vario was very useable on the first day. With the large S80 display, I use it for almost everything, speed to fly, waypoint selection, task, and thermal assist (the best I've seen imho). The biggest benefit is that I look in the cockpit much much less. Instead of tapping at my oudie, I much prefer hitting the buttons on the S80. It's much faster and the button gets the result I want, where a tap on the oudie in a bouncy cockpit might not. I know it's much faster to select the waypoint I want to go to. Nearest, spin the dial to the waypoint and push, done. I don't look at my Oudie much anymore, only for big picture things when I have the time, and that is the way I like it. Now I just need a stick controller...
Old November 29th 17, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I agree about the S80- Nice unit! I've been using it with the stick controller, and I highly recommend it over the panel buttons and knobs. Setup is also key, as there are more features than I need. I have complained about the manual to LXNAV, and apparently, they finally did something about it. Just downloaded Version 6.01 (October 2017), but haven't looked at it yet. The previous version (5.46) was unchanged from the time I bought the S80 until this latest edition, even though the software went through several upgrades. I guess documentation in the software industry hasn't changed much over the years since I got out of it. It still lags way behind the product and is written by people who developed the software. They know it intimately, but can't communicate it to users very well.

Old November 29th 17, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

A little off point, but I fly with an LXNav 90XX with V80 (not the stand alone S80). I have had very good factory support, the combination is highly programable to fit your needs, or wants. I have also had an occasion to ask LX Navigation for information and they were extremely prompt in replying, with much information. Bottom line is both companies and instruments are top shelf with very good factory support. I do not think you will be disappointed whichever you choose.

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 7:15:58 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I agree about the S80- Nice unit! I've been using it with the stick controller, and I highly recommend it over the panel buttons and knobs. Setup is also key, as there are more features than I need. I have complained about the manual to LXNAV, and apparently, they finally did something about it. Just downloaded Version 6.01 (October 2017), but haven't looked at it yet. The previous version (5.46) was unchanged from the time I bought the S80 until this latest edition, even though the software went through several upgrades. I guess documentation in the software industry hasn't changed much over the years since I got out of it. It still lags way behind the product and is written by people who developed the software. They know it intimately, but can't communicate it to users very well.

Old November 29th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

I installed an S8 two years ago. At the smaller 57 mm size, the navigation screens aren't much help but I really like the 4 data options in each of the task and navigation screens.

I have linked the S8 to my Flarm and an Oudie 2. As opposed to a previous post, I use the Oudie 2 almost exclusively for navigation with the S8 as a backup (I think the Oudie 2 "programming on the fly" is much easier than the S8.)

I use the S8 primarily for vario functions and some Flarm display. (Flarm is also shown on the Oudie 2.)

I tried really hard to fit the S80 into my panel but just could not make it work.

As always, YMMV -

Lou

Old November 30th 17, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

is the resolution of the S80 good enough to support the larger screen size? Any pixelization visible?

Old November 30th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 5:39:22 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
is the resolution of the S80 good enough to support the larger screen size? Any pixelization visible?

Not to my eye. And it is bright! That's actually the best thing about it, I can always see it clearly, never any glare on the screen in my glider.
Old November 30th 17, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 4:39:22 AM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

I fly with a V80 (same as S80, but slaved to computer, not stand alone) and it is very bright, no pixelization.
Old February 17th 18, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Any new user experiences in the past 3 months that would be relevant for a purchase decision ?
3U