What was your first glider?

Old August 19th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot

Default What was your first glider?

Out of curiosity, I searched but found no similar thread...

So what was your first glider, how did you find it, how long did you
fly it, did you keep it or quickly out grow it? Would love to hear
your stories...

Old August 19th 09, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat Russette

I had a HP-14 that I owned (with a partner) for nearly 10 years. Did
all my distance and duration badges in it. Also did many diamond
distance flights until I (and my partner) purchased a Libelle 201B that
I owned for around 8 years. Followed by a Ventus B and currently an
ASW20BH (Hobbs model which I love).

Patman CQ

Old August 19th 09, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Aug 18, 9:52*pm, flgliderpilot wrote:
Out of curiosity, I searched but found no similar thread...

So what was your first glider, how did you find it, how long did you
fly it, did you keep it or quickly out grow it? *Would love to hear
your stories...

SZD-30 Pirat, in a syndicate with three others.

1978, ill-fated aircraft I'm afraid. It was imported from Poland
after three factory test flights logged. The first owner rigged it
and tied it out overnight. It wound up as a write-off during a storm
in the night. Alan Hume, craftsman and BGA senior inspector, spent
four and a half years of spare time restoring it to as new condition.
We bought it as the result on an ad in S&G I think. I had three
flights, another partner had two I believe, another never flew it.
The fourth partner performed a rather spectacular crash on his flight
on a gusty day. Curl over the hill top resulted in some strong sink
as he was heading down wind. He turned toward the runway and put the
nose down only to vanish into the valley. A few seconds later he re-
appeared going up at a steep angle (and as later recalled 95kts) in an
attempt to fly over the telephone cable that followed the road and was
at field elevation. Pulling so hard resulted in a high speed stall
and the right wing caught the telephone cable and the glider
cartwheeled while climbing (and looping) vertically. After a 360
degree rotation and looped over the top of the climb and descended in
a stalled, 20-30 degrees nose down attitude and disappeared into the
valley. Everyone ran down the hill. I stopped by the hangar and
picked up the first aid box. The pilot was in shock, conscious, but
unable to recall the day of the week. Sprained ankle, three cracked
vertebrae, dislocated shoulder and a concussion. At last contact 4-5
years ago he remained active as a BGA CFI and owned half a Stemme.
The glider wasn't rebuilt. I moved into an SHK syndicate for the next
three years.

Frank Whiteley
Old August 19th 09, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barry Bredenkamp

At 03:52 19 August 2009, flgliderpilot wrote:

Out of curiosity, I searched but found no similar thread...

So what was your first glider, how did you find it, how long did you
fly it, did you keep it or quickly out grow it? Would love to hear
your stories...

Schleicher Ka6CR. Bought at a bargain price (with a partner) from someone
who had 'refurbished' it. Has proved not to be a great buy. The
restoration, once you get below the skin, is a bit iffy. The trailer has
proved to be a glider biter, esp on rough roads (common at gliding sites
in South Africa). As a result I have more hours fixing it than flying it.
To be fair the local experts do point out that at 46yrs old she is a very
tired old lady and down time is to be expected. There are lessons here
(frequently seen on r.a.s) for first-time buyers.
Cheers
Barry
Old August 19th 09, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Wright

"flgliderpilot" wrote in message

Out of curiosity, I searched but found no similar thread...

So what was your first glider, how did you find it, how long did you
fly it, did you keep it or quickly out grow it? Would love to hear
your stories...

I had a syndicate EoN Olympia 2b in 1964 when I was in the Staffordshire
Gliding Club (of which I was a founder member and Technical Officer). It was
one of the early ones - BGA 507. It had been in a crash at the Mynd and the
whole front end was new, so that most unusually for an Oly it had a Skylark
4 cockpit canopy which was a great improvement on the standard one. I did my
5hrs in it, the first ever achieved at that site (Meir near Stoke on Trent),
and my Silver height. I made several unsuccessful Distance attempts in it.
Several more Silver legs were done by other partners. I sold my share after
three years and moved on to an Olympia 463 which was a hot ship at that
time. I did a lot of cross-countries in the 463 but I found less and less
time to fly it as I had become an instructor. I liked the 2b more than the
463, which was a bit of a handful and nothing like as stable. I moved clubs,
and never owned a share after that. I actually finished my Silver in a club
K18 at Dunstable some time later.

Alistair Wright

Old August 19th 09, 11:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Startup[_2_]

At 09:32 19 August 2009, Alistair Wright wrote:

"flgliderpilot" wrote in message

Out of curiosity, I searched but found no similar thread...

So what was your first glider, how did you find it, how long did you
fly it, did you keep it or quickly out grow it? Would love to hear
your stories...

In deference to one of the earlier posts................

Ka6Cr followed by a Libelle and now a Discus.IMHO 3 of the best gliders
ever made.I owned them all for several years each and I've loved them
all.When I win the lottery I'm going to buy them all back!

Pete
Old August 19th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

LS1-d.

Bought in August (I think) of 1994.

I've made a few slight changes over the years. New yaw string, new
seat cushions, etc...

Still loving it!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old August 19th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

I bought 50% of Std Cirrus #57 when I was just Solo. The CFI (wisely)
would not let me fly her until I had more time solo, and a little time
on glass so it was six months later before I got to fly her.

This particular Std Cirrus was originally the regional hot ship -
belonging to Ted Pearson who was the Schempp-Hirth agent. Ted set
various records in her in the early seventies, and won the Rhodesian
Nationals in 1971 in her.

A year later I took 100% ownership, largely because I wanted to invest
in new instruments and the other partner really preferred to fly two
seaters. He also had the habit of lighting up a Mills or two in the
cockpit which led to some differences of opinion.

Some five years on and the more I fly the Cirrus the more I enjoy her.

Recently I also purchased a T59D Kestrel 19, which was in need of a good
home. This is a completely different animal. Much better performance and
comparatively viceless. But those long wings are less nimble, and you
really know who your friends are the second time you ask for help rigging...
Having overhauled the trailer on the Cirrus there is no question which
one you want to drag half way across the country. The Kestrel has a
Frankenstein's monster of a trailer.

Decisions, decisions - which one to keep.

Bruce

Old August 19th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Aug 18, 11:52*pm, flgliderpilot wrote:
Out of curiosity, I searched but found no similar thread...

So what was your first glider, how did you find it, how long did you
fly it, did you keep it or quickly out grow it? *Would love to hear
your stories...

HP-18. Wrote this years ago: http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-18/N67TT.html

(contact info on that page is not correct, btw)

It was beautiful, fast, quirky, fiddly, a lot of work to fly well.
The landing flaps were super cool, except in high wind, though they do
come with a learning curve. Not a good choice for a first glider.
Too radical. Too hard to fly. HP-14 or RS-15 probably better choices
in Schreder ships, depending on build quality.

Had it for ten years, sold it, went gliderless for eight years, saved
my nickels, bought an ASW-20B. The 20B is a classic that does
everything well.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Old August 19th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Aug 18, 8:52*pm, flgliderpilot wrote:
Out of curiosity, I searched but found no similar thread...

So what was your first glider, how did you find it, how long did you
fly it, did you keep it or quickly out grow it? *Would love to hear
your stories...

Grob Speed Astir II, 16UF. Originally purchased by Brian Utley and a
partner (Ed Fsomething, sorry). It's been owned by several others over
the years. I got it in late 2003. By June of 2010 I will exceed the
hours in it of all previous owners combined sometime around June 2010
(barring unforseen events). The only way I see 'outgrowing' it would
be literal. The cockpit is quite tight, and gaining 10 pounds might
well preclude my squeezing in. The Speed Astir suits me very well.
Tough, (relatively) high performance, and NOT pristine. Also, despite
comments to the contrary, very quick and easy to rig (aside from the
156 pound wing weight) once you figure out what you're doing.

Exporting a glider to/import a glider into Germany Pete Smith[_2_] Soaring 1 August 8th 08 09:33 AM
Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
Sea Glider OscarCVox Soaring 8 July 12th 04 12:08 AM
Glider add-on Ed Soaring 2 February 18th 04 05:55 AM