What was your first glider?

Old August 22nd 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

Default What was your first glider?

On Aug 18, 8:52*pm, flgliderpilot wrote:
Out of curiosity, I searched but found no similar thread...

So what was your first glider, how did you find it, how long did you
fly it, did you keep it or quickly out grow it? *Would love to hear
your stories...

Schweizer 1-34 for silver badge
LS-3 intro to contest flying
LS-4 gold/diamond badges and more serious racing
gap
ASW-27B (today)

I'd recommend an LS-4 as a great first glider to own IF: 1) you can
afford it (duh) and 2) if you have completed your silver badge in club/
rental ships first.

9B
Old August 22nd 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

FIrst personal glider was Grob 104 Speed Astir IIb. I learned in Grob
102/103 and it was a smooth transition to the flapped racing ship. It
was a very nice plane. Great legs, easy water ballast, easy to
assemble with a one man rig, and nice looking. I sold it after many
years because the relatively heavy aileron forces gave me shoulder
pain after 4 hours or so of flying. However I earned all my badges
and all my diamonds in that ship.

Guy Acheson, "DDS"
Old September 2nd 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake

Kestrel 19... bought it last year. Love the ship I'm big and
heavy; don't fit well into most gliders I've seen (or afford), and
it's worse if I wear a parachute.

I bought a one-man rigger this Spring, so the short-winged guys don't
run away when I set up for rigging -- I get everything out and lined
up, then get someone to wiggle the wingtip for the last bit of
fitting. I actually put it together alone 3 weeks ago. With the
dolly, I can take it apart and put it away alone every time.

Exporting a glider to/import a glider into Germany Pete Smith[_2_] Soaring 1 August 8th 08 09:33 AM
Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
Sea Glider OscarCVox Soaring 8 July 12th 04 12:08 AM
Glider add-on Ed Soaring 2 February 18th 04 05:55 AM