(USA) NTSB issues recommendations to the FAA and the SSAregarding transponder use in gliders

Old April 2nd 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default (USA) NTSB issues recommendations to the FAA and the SSAregarding transponder use in gliders

On Mar 31, 3:13*pm, VARR wrote:

"Although the Hawker was equipped with a traffic alert and collision
avoidance system (TCAS)-II capable of generating vertical resolution
(collision avoidance) advisories (RA), the glider's Mode C
transponder
was turned off (and, therefore, not detectable by the Hawker's
equipment) because the glider pilot wanted to reserve battery power
for radio use. "

Early reports on this accident indicated that the pilot had not turned
the transponder on because the installation had not been approved.
Anyone know which is true?

Andy
Old April 2nd 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Meade

Is it correct that if they remove the glider exemption from 91.215(b)
(3) and (5) that they will have to address the issue of aircraft that
were built without an engine driven electrical system, which also have
an exemption? I'd think the FAA will have to gore more oxen than just
gliders (like all the J-3 cubs) or they would have to reword so those
aircraft were exempted but gliders included in. Any comments?

Knowing the IFR approach corridors helps in bad weather, but in good
weather, many charter operators file direct and fly it when possible,
especially when visual approaches are being issued. Do all direct
approaches fit in al lthe corridors? I don't know. I do know that in
good weather one can cancel IFR and come in VFR from about any
quadrant and altitude (below 18,000) one wants.

NTSB recommendations are not always promptly saluted and acted on by
FAA, as we all know.

It would be good to have a good, broad ranging debate that included
technologically and financially feasible operations.

Regretably, some struggling clubs may have to physically move to
operate outside the listed areas and that may not be easy in some
cases.
Old April 2nd 08, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Early reports on this accident indicated that the pilot had not turned
the transponder on because the installation had not been approved.
Anyone know which is true?

Andy

I was at the Minden airport at the time of the accident, and it is my
understanding that the transponder had not been certified. The glider
(an ASG 29, not an ASK 27) had recently been imported from Sweden
where it was used in the Worlds, and this was its maiden flight, at
least maiden for one of its two owners. Given the circumstances, it
makes sense that the transponder might not have been certified, but I
can't say for sure.

Matt
Old April 2nd 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 1, 11:37*pm, wrote:

The glider(an ASG 29, not an ASK 27) *

The ASG 29 is certificated as an ASW27-18. All glider pilots know it
as the 29 but any FAA or NTSB report will reference it as ASW27-18.

Not sure if anyone else reported it but MSNBC ran the story (with
their own bias).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23908450
Old May 22nd 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 1, 5:10 pm, Andy wrote:
On Mar 31, 3:13 pm, VARR wrote:

"Although the Hawker was equipped with a traffic alert and collision
avoidance system (TCAS)-II capable of generating vertical resolution
(collision avoidance) advisories (RA), the glider's Mode Ctransponder
was turned off (and, therefore, not detectable by the Hawker's
equipment) because the glider pilot wanted to reserve battery power
for radio use. "

Early reports on this accident indicated that the pilot had not turned
thetransponderon because the installation had not been approved.
Anyone know which is true?

Andy

I spoke with the operator who briefed the Japanese pilot in the mid-
air collision to "turn off the transponder to ensure the data recorder
would record the five hours for silver badge."

Lie number 1: Not enough battery power to run transponder.

Truth: I seldom need to switch to second battery on a long cross
country even over four hours.

Lie number 2: I will turn on the transponder when I am in high
density traffic area.

Truth: The pilot seldom knows where high speed and high density
traffic is routed.

Lie number 3: I am circling and can clear my path for traffic.

Truth: Any pilot even when traffic is pointed out by ATC can not spot
1 in 4 or 5 aircraft that are headed towards him within 1000 feet
vertical and 3 miles horizontal.

Lie number 4: There have been very few near misses with gliders.

Truth: There have been 60 reported near misses between jet traffic
and gliders reported to the National Transportation Safety Board's
ASRS (aviation safety reporting system.) Not counting the actual
collisions.

Lie number 5: Let SSA regional rep or director handle the problems
concerning requirement of transponders.

Truth: SSA has no policy concerning use of transponders despite the
strong need to address this safety problem.

I have used an on board transponder starting with my 1970 Standard
Cirrus. The transponder allows me to navigate through class B
airspace for final glides, following lines of clouds, and showing
other glider pilots in formation how to communicate with the
controllers.

Truth: With a policy from the SSA it is possible to work on access to
otherwise unavailable airspace. In the meantime it behooves us all
who want to continue access above 10,000 feet and within 30 miles of a
primary airport, and who want to thermal under clouds to carry our own
transponder and work the best deal we can with ATC.

Group action can be a powerful tool to ensure growth and freedom in
our soaring aviation pursuit.

(USA) NTSB issues recommendations to the FAA and the SSA regarding transponder use in gliders BT Soaring 78 July 25th 08 06:26 PM
(USA) NTSB issues recommendations to the FAA and the SSA regardingtransponder use in gliders Sarah Anderson[_2_] Soaring 6 April 1st 08 12:51 PM
FAA-NTSB [email protected] Piloting 4 January 25th 05 01:34 PM
Is the the EX-NTSB Guy? Gig Giacona Piloting 2 January 16th 04 04:01 PM
NTSB 830.5 & 830.15? Mike Noel Owning 2 July 8th 03 05:51 AM