Woohoo! Flew the Pitts...

Old June 21st 04, 05:10 AM
John Harper

Default Woohoo! Flew the Pitts...

My first flight in a Pitts today (S2B). Now that was quite a flight! We did
all the usual stff, rolls, loops, some vertical stuff. Rolling was amazing.
It took me a while to get loops to come out OK, for some reason I kept
relaxing the stick after the initial pull and running out of energy. The
view is fantastic, at least except straight out the front, which is
terrible. I didn't try to land or takeoff, maybe next time. My instructor
said the only thing harder to land than a Pitts is a U2 (yes, he has flown
one, but he doesn't have one on the line).

We did a couple of vertical rolls, his was a lot better than mine, I suppose
he's done it before. And a thing called a "zwiebelturm" (sp... I think that
means "onion tower", which doesn't make a lot of sense to me!). Anyway
everything goes round very fast in all directions, and at some point you're
looking at the ground in an incipient spin. Apparently if it's done right
you end up in an inverted flat spin going upwards. We did flat spins too,
which were cool, kind of relaxing as you twirl around almost horizontal.

Can't wait for the next session...

John

Old June 22nd 04, 04:01 PM
Andrew Boyd

John Harper wrote:

My first flight in a Pitts today (S2B). Now that was quite a flight!

My instructor said the only thing harder to land than a Pitts is a U2

Tell Rich at Attitude that Andrew Boyd says "hi"!

Apparently if it's done right you end up in an inverted flat spin
going upwards.

You can spend hours and hours practicing tumbles, trying
all the possible combinations of entries, and how to reproduce
the coolest ones :-)

Can't wait for the next session...

Welcome to the cult! :-)

--
aboyd ATP http://www.pittspecials.com/images/3pvic.jpg
Old June 25th 04, 07:52 PM
Elise Mason

Hi,

I think its called a Spiral Tower :-)

Elise

Old June 26th 04, 12:10 AM
Smutny

Zweibel Turm translated directly does mean Onion Tower. It referes to
the shape of the church spires commonly found in Alpine villages. For
example see this pic:

http://www.randykerr.com/full.asp?id=199

When you watch the flight path of a plane doing the maneuver, you can
see how it forms a similar shape.

-j-

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:52:09 +0000 (UTC), "Elise Mason"
wrote:

[...]

Any Pitts S-1 pilots in this group? Kai Glaesner Aerobatics 4 April 12th 04 12:10 AM
Pitts S-1 weight and balance wallyairplanefan Aerobatics 2 March 6th 04 05:09 AM
Pitts Fly-In aerogirl Aerobatics 0 October 28th 03 12:45 AM
Pitts, Acro Sport, other to buy? Dave Swartz Aerobatics 0 September 3rd 03 03:18 PM
Pitts Special - info and photo's required. Darryl Gibbs Aerobatics 1 August 5th 03 08:05 PM