VOR Alpha into KMBO Approach with plate overlays and ATC COMS - Video

Old November 13th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default VOR Alpha into KMBO Approach with plate overlays and ATC COMS - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGHOqX4sHkI

I post this as I hope others can learn from my mistakes. Comments
here or on the video most appreciated.

I kinda got RIGHTFULLY chewed out by ATC today while doing the VOR
Alpha approach. I mistook an instruction by the controller as a
clearance.

Couple of things.

Human error obviously, and this is the first time this has happened to
me. Other then the simple not hearing correctly, was this really
preventable? I should have known by the lack of approach intercept
instructions that it wasn't a clearance but as you can see from the
communications, that escaped me since I was busy flying an airplane.

One question in my mind is on the second approach vectors to final, I
was never issued missed. Should I have been issued missed
instructions or does the canceled approach missed instructions still
stand?
Old November 16th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

VOR Alpha Approach - Video with ATC COMS

The way "it should have happened"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tm51_7LQfs

Looking for comments on how I can improve on running my shop doing a
full procedure ground based approach (or any approach for that
matter).

Video includes my briefing, and navigation of a procedure turn
including situational awareness overlays on the approach charts.
Approach charts display in the video before I execute the turns.

Comments here or on the video most appreciated!