Air sickness

Old May 26th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

Default Air sickness

On Mon, 26 May 2008 09:55:35 -0400, "R. Gardner"
wrote:

Yes it will fade possibbly and as mentioned the control of the airplane will
help.

My daughter the sailor claims that getting up on deck and working like
a navvy is a sure cure/preventive, but I have not found this to be the
case.

I've never been airsick (though I came close to it when doing spin
training at Chandler AZ, on repeated hot days, and driving past the
stockyards) but I have indeed been seasick. My preventive measures
include sitting very still, on deck but as low as I can get (the
nearer the center of gravity, the less the motion), looking at the
horizon, and nibbling Saltines or better yet sugared ginger.

Ginger is a definite preventive for nasuea (however spelled!). Years
ago my old ma used to feed us flat, room-temp ginger ale if we were
sick. We're talking 1940s here, not folk medicine perhaps but close to
it. I feed the same stuff to my grand-daughters--i.e., her
great-granddaughters. For myself, however, I prefer the ginger
candies. Available I think in most groceries.

(Once actively sick, however, there is no cure. Just lie down with
your head in a bucket and wait for death,)

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old May 26th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Viperdoc" wrote:

Anthony, reading about something or looking it up does not equate with
knowledge or experience, just as in flying or medicine.

For sure and for certain reading about seasickness did not truly educate
me about the two stages of seasickness... No amount of reading could
have prepared me for being sick when deep sea fishing.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old May 26th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Cubdriver wrote:
My daughter the sailor claims that getting up on deck and working like
a navvy is a sure cure/preventive, but I have not found this to be the
case.

I've never been either seasick or airsick, although I've turned a shade of green
before in both situations. In the case of flying, I was sitting in the back of
an Arrow on a warm bumpy day. I've never had a problem while in personal
control of an aircraft.

I've never been airsick (though I came close to it when doing spin
training at Chandler AZ, on repeated hot days, and driving past the
stockyards) but I have indeed been seasick. My preventive measures
include sitting very still, on deck but as low as I can get (the
nearer the center of gravity, the less the motion), looking at the
horizon, and nibbling Saltines or better yet sugared ginger.

Ginger is a natural anti-emetic and does work. My personal rules for rough seas
include never going below if at all possible; never go out on the water with a
full stomach; never going out on the water on an empty stomach; staying away
from the engine exhaust; always be out in the wind... even if it means riding
the top of a flying bridge in 12 foot seas. Never look down. Never look up.
And if others are heaving, always stay to windward. Remember, puking is like
yawning. If one person does it, everybody wants to.

If you're going to take Marezine or whatever, don't wait until you're queazy
before you do. I start the meds the night before if I'm going out on the water.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old May 26th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Brian Colohan

"R. Gardner" writes:
Don't look at the
ground below you! The fast motion your eye see confusses the brain because
it senses that you are not realy moving. Look at a distant horizon to help
ease the on set of motion sickness. That helps the brain think that what it
sees is what it also senses with motion.

Heh. The one time I got really air sick during my flight training was
when I started to learn turns around a point. Constantly looking at
the ground pretty close to me, while going around and around and
around... :-)

Chris
Old May 26th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Vaughn Simon wrote:
Several experienced
pilots have told me that the only time they feel motion sickness is when they
are a passenger.

Particularly if that passenger is in the back seat and/or the pilot
doesn't maintain coordinated flight.
Old May 26th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Gilmour[_2_]

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Viperdoc" wrote:

Anthony, reading about something or looking it up does not equate with
knowledge or experience, just as in flying or medicine.

For sure and for certain reading about seasickness did not truly educate
me about the two stages of seasickness... No amount of reading could
have prepared me for being sick when deep sea fishing.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

From my experience as 23 year in the Merchant Navy is that most people who
initially suffer from sea sickness get over it fairly early on into their
sea going career. Other than that rough sea experience just causes tiredness
due muscle fatique from continually bracing/ correcting your balance.

Mike

Old May 26th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Cubdriver" usenet AT danford DOT net wrote in message

My daughter the sailor claims that getting up on deck and working like
a navvy is a sure cure/preventive, but I have not found this to be the
case.

Getting up on deck has always worked for me. Unfortunately, much of my Navy
time was spent on board submarines where that was not an option.

Vaughn

Old May 26th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Vaughn Simon wrote:
My daughter the sailor claims that getting up on deck and working like
a navvy is a sure cure/preventive, but I have not found this to be the
case.

Getting up on deck has always worked for me. Unfortunately, much of my Navy
time was spent on board submarines where that was not an option.

But it also shouldn't have been a problem. From my diving days, I know that the
roughest sea calms down fairly close to the surface. Many a seasick diver
settled his stomach by getting off the surface.

With nuclear submarines being the norm, why travel at the surface in a rough
sea?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old May 26th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Christopher Brian Colohan wrote:
Heh. The one time I got really air sick during my flight training was
when I started to learn turns around a point. Constantly looking at
the ground pretty close to me, while going around and around and
around... :-)

I took some foresters up to survey their property in rough air on several
occasions. If you think it was rough on you, at least you were the one in
control. Imagine where somebody else is doing the flying and you're circling
the ground looking through binoculars. It was reminiscent of the WWII AAC
officer's uniform: pinks and greens. They started one color and ended the
other. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

anybody benefit once, mean therefore, then compensate since the sickness above the sentence Franklin Piloting 0 August 14th 07 01:34 AM
XC Sickness [email protected] Soaring 17 July 13th 07 05:45 AM
Anything new in to combat motion sickness? Gary Emerson Soaring 35 February 6th 07 04:38 PM
Gulf Sickness Redux? DunxC Military Aviation 0 September 18th 03 06:36 AM