Moffett Air Show 2004

Old June 9th 04, 02:33 AM
JD

Default Moffett Air Show 2004

I saw the new Thunderbird team at Moffett a couple weeks ago. These guys
are good. They are very good. They have a hokey introduction with the
"sharp young officer" act being overdone, but what the hell, the purpose is
recruitment, so I guess the over-enthuiastic rah-rah is just part of the
gig. Then they started playing the Air Force Anthem and the diamond
started to roll. These guys fly a tight smooth diamond that I didn't see a
bust in during the entire show..... and I'm a picky observer. I've been
aviating personally for over 40 years and watching military demo teams since
1955 and I think this is one of the better teams I've seen. All Majors with
one Captain. The solo surprise pass was just great with the solo appearing
from behind the large hangar and holding constant bank angle / turn rate,
that s.o.b. made one of those chest thumping, gut grabbing,
God-I-LOVE-this-****, full burner passes at maybe 20 feet, 50 at most and
then disappearing behind the other end of the hangar. They're worth
catching if you can. They also had a neat acro routine by a very smooth
gent (Robin Somebody) in a Lear 23. Long walk (mile from VIP parking to
the reserved seats) and not much on static display. One of the pilots
said most of the nation's military aircraft were in the war ops or training
for the war ops which made sense to me. He thought the big shows would
still have bigger static displays. This one had 3 F-16's (don't know the
blocks) with 2 from DC ANG and one from Arizona ANG, a KC-135 from Riverside
AFB, a Coast Guard Herc, a couple of choppers and a neat little Viggen (I
think) flown by Skip Holm. Cool, huh? Fun day at a well managed, but
s-l-o-w airshow put on by Air Show Networks.

Old June 9th 04, 03:28 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article 4Otxc.69703$Ly.47528@attbi_s01, "JD"
wrote:

[...]

Who sponsored this year's Moffett show? I know that all the antiques &
homebuilts were probably at Watsonville.
Old June 9th 04, 03:40 AM
JD

don't know Orval.... The only credit grabbing outfit was the Air Show
Network.

Old June 9th 04, 03:49 AM
Jdf4cheval

Glad you enjoyed the show, JD. I was at the Moffett show in August 2002, and it
was a slow mover then as well. I saw the thunderbirds for the first time in
years at Edwards last October. You're right - spectacular!
Too bad the Blue Angels won't be at San Francisco for this year's Fleet Week.
Joe

Old June 9th 04, 05:19 PM
Darrell Earnshaw

JD wrote:

[...]

I attended Moffet about two years ago and was somewhat disappointed by
the lack of military hardware on display. Unfortunately, I thought this
year's show was even worse. The exception was the F-15 display and of
course, the Thunderbirds, which I missed due to a bad case of sunburn
coming on. Based on my experience, I doubt if I'll go to another Moffet
event. (Alas, barnstormers and comedians with bits falling off their
aircraft don't hold any interest for me, and that irritating British
announcer...)

I've heard that Salinas puts on a good show, so maybe that might be
worth it. Ideally, I'd like to make it down to Edwards for their open
day -- I'll be that's really worth seeing.

Regards,

Darrell
Old June 9th 04, 06:04 PM
Emilio

I was little surprised that Thunderbirds flew at the Moffett. The Moffett
lived there at Sunnyvale. Often times I didn't even had to go to the
Moffett do to the fact that my apartment was right under the flight path.
They come flying just over the rooftop. I remember hearing all the babies
in the neighborhood burst out crying when they dashed by with thunderous
noise; my baby son included. My wife called them "The Blue Devils!" They
flew so close that I cold not fit all the aircraft in formation on the
picture I took.

Fun memories. Is the Blue Angle flying Super Hornet now?

Emilio.

Old June 10th 04, 02:14 AM
miso

I was going to say there wasn't going to be an Edwards air show this
year, but I figured I'd double check, and sure enough they have one
planned for October 2,2004:
http://www.edwards.af.mil/oh.html

When EDW has the one day show, it often doesn't have a headliner.
However, the static displays and other acts more than make up for it,
plus October in the desert is really a fine time. No headliner means
no crowds too, though that hasn't been a problem post 9/11. I suspect
stories of cavity searches at the entrance keeps the tourists away.

October will also be time for Red Flag at Nellis, with a guestimate of
period one starting on the 9th. There will also be a air power demo at
Indian Springs in October.

Old June 10th 04, 11:37 PM
JD

Hi Darrell You sound like a local guy. If so, I went out to Palo Alto
yacht harbor (something of a misnomer) and all the way out to the dock, you
can park and sit in the comfort of your wheels, sip a cola, and watch a fair
amount of the show. You're about a mile away, but all the turns and the
solo set up happen over this area. It's still pretty cool. I've flown
into Edwards with my airplane as a static civilian exhibit. That is one
cool airshow, but be prepared to walk and stand in the hot sun.

Old June 11th 04, 05:09 AM
Jim Knoyle

"JD" wrote in message
Hi Darrell You sound like a local guy. If so, I went out to Palo

Alto
yacht harbor (something of a misnomer) and all the way out to the dock,

you
can park and sit in the comfort of your wheels, sip a cola, and watch a

fair
amount of the show. You're about a mile away, but all the turns and the
solo set up happen over this area. It's still pretty cool. I've flown
into Edwards with my airplane as a static civilian exhibit. That is one
cool airshow, but be prepared to walk and stand in the hot sun.

Many years ago, before the environmentalists took over, it was
a very nice but small yacht harbor. They even occasionally
dredged it. They just haven't gotten around to replacing the sign.

Years ago, for the airshow, I set my receiver on a timer at home
and put my kayak in at the harbor (after checking the tide tables :-))
and paddled down to Long Point with my handycam.

Too darn close and all of the wrong angles for the Blues.