Soaring video goes viral - 250,000 views in three days

Old September 11th 13, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Soaring video goes viral - 250,000 views in three days

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 20:33:07 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:53:03 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:58:50 +0100, Gilbert Smith wrote:

He has flaps right up / left down so the turn is no surprise, and he

says that was the 87th take because most times it doesn't centre

properly.

I saw that the elevons were bent to 90 degrees and did at one point
think

I saw one down. However I thought that the last shot of its rear end

showed them both up, so thanks for correction.

I'm not surprised he took several shots, though 87 seems like a lot.

On a related topic, back in the 80s (IIRC), a few of the American
indoor

fliers discovered they could win Indoor Hand Launched Glider contests

with very light microfilm covered models that they launched over a
patch

of sunlight on the floor of the venue. I heard about this but never saw

plans or photos of the models: does anybody know if there are any films

or videos of these things flying? They'd fly a lot like that paper
glider

though much slower.

--

martin@ | Martin Gregorie

gregorie. | Essex, UK

org |

No, but search for walkalong gliders on Youtube. Varietal
constructions, paper and foam, tumbling and stable.

I know about walkalong glider, thanks. There was a Czech guy at last
month's Free Flight World Champs flying one at the open air prizegiving -
yes it was pretty calm but he still needed rather fast reactions to keep
it in front of a roughly 3ft x 4ft stretched fabric frame. The model
looked to be around 25cm spam with a minimal balsa structure covered with
5 or 10 micron aluminised mylar.

I'd have thought the sun-patch soaring IHLG would have to turn almost as
tight as that paper glider - sun patches on hall floors are often only a
metre or two square. I doubt that the Czech model would turn that tight
because it had a decent a/r (7+) and fairly long moment arm and nose.
That's why I was asking about photos and/pr plans.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 11th 13, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 23:53 10 September 2013, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

I built one of these models. The covering was made by floating a film of
dope on water and very gently lifting it off and covering a very light
balsa frame. They did work as you suggest.

Old September 12th 13, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:45:40 +0000, Don Johnstone wrote:

I built one of these models. The covering was made by floating a film of
dope on water and very gently lifting it off and covering a very light
balsa frame. They did work as you suggest.

Very cool! I've made and used microfilm in the past, though only for NZ
rules Easy-B and 35cm rubber models. If you have any dimensions or
sketches of your model I'd love to get a copy: the email address below at
the end of this post is valid if you'd care to send me any details.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 14th 13, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:52:26 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2sozrof3HY

Youtube video of a paper sailplane thermally over an electric stove.

Wow! He is building "my" aircraft! (Actually my Dad taught me that one.) That is what I show all the kid when I have a chance. What a beautiful machine to show the effect of aerodynamics.
Heinz,
soarboy at comcast dot net
Old September 17th 13, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:52:26 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2sozrof3HY

Youtube video of a paper sailplane thermally over an electric stove.

I first saw this model of paper aircraft more than 50 years ago in an annual "Rupert Book", a collection of serialized comics based on the adventures of Rupert Bear and his pals taken from the pages of the
Daily Mail in the UK. My mother taught me to read using these books, one of which I received every year at Christmas. Rupert used it to send a message after he had been locked up in a tower by some evil character. Go Rupert!

Soaring Video? Waveguru Soaring 6 January 27th 13 12:38 PM
New soaring video! soaring23 Soaring 4 November 15th 12 06:49 PM
Soaring Video MikeCarris Soaring 0 September 29th 11 01:47 AM
Winter Solstice, soaring days getting longer Barny Soaring 2 December 25th 10 03:08 AM
Gliding in 8 days glider soaring FA JaneyP Soaring 0 November 10th 05 11:35 PM