A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » General Aviation
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What is the best way to fly for an airline?

Old January 3rd 11, 10:55 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Jan 2011
Default What is the best way to fly for an airline?

I am currently a sophomore in college, accounting major. I have thought about either joining AFROTC and commisioning with their accelerated program and hopefully getting a pilot slot. I have also thought about enlisting in the ANG while in college and paying for some hours on the sides while eventually applying for a pilot slot after I get my degree. But I have heard that there will be a rise in demand for airline pilots in 2012 that will favor the civilian trained pilots that aren't committed to a military career for 10 years. If I do go civilian I would have to take out a loan to pay for it and add to the $50,000 in loans i will have for my degree. After training Im guessing Ill be in debt $100,000-$120,000, is it worth it? Should I train through military(AFROTC or ANG) or go civilian with a local flight school and build the hours myself?
Old July 6th 11, 01:35 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Jul 2011

I think you should have do civilian with a local school. With this you can be a pilot and you can fly the flight and touch the sky.