U.S. pilot's gesture brings Brazilian fine

Old January 15th 04, 10:10 PM
Otis Willie

Default U.S. pilot's gesture brings Brazilian fine

U.S. pilot's gesture brings Brazilian fine

(EXCERPT)

SAO PAULO, Brazil (Agence France-Presse) — American Airlines
apologized to Brazil yesterday for one of its pilots who was detained
at Sao Paulo airport, fined $12,700 dollars and released after for
making an obscene gesture when he was required to be fingerprinted and
photographed. Federal police here said Dale Robbin Hersh, 52, pilot on
American's Miami-Sao Paulo flight, raised his middle finger as his
photo was being taken by airport security personnel. "He made an
internationally recognized obscene gesture to the police who were
photographing him," federal police spokesman Wagner Castilho said at a
press conference. Police later showed the photo of Mr. Hersh, his
middle finger raised. Mr. C...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 15 Jan 2004, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://washingtontimes.com/world/200...4649-2781r.htm

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
Old January 15th 04, 10:27 PM
Jarg

"Otis Willie" wrote in message
U.S. pilot's gesture brings Brazilian fine

(EXCERPT)

SAO PAULO, Brazil (Agence France-Presse) - American Airlines
apologized to Brazil yesterday for one of its pilots who was detained
at Sao Paulo airport, fined $12,700 dollars and released after for
making an obscene gesture when he was required to be

Glad to see the punishment fits the crime. Sheesh!

It's an interesting situation. The Brazilians are ****ed because the US is
fingerprinting Brazilian tourists (because they are some of the worst
offenders when it comes to overstaying visas) and have retaliated by doing
the same. As a matter of national pride I sympathize but as a practical
matter it is silly. I bet Americans almost never overstay their visits, and
furthermore American tourists are surely bigger spenders when traveling than
their Brazilian counterparts which means Brazil have much more to lose.
This kind of publicity doesn't help.

Jarg

Old January 15th 04, 11:03 PM
Andrew

Otis Willie wrote:
U.S. pilot's gesture brings Brazilian fine

SAO PAULO, Brazil (Agence France-Presse) -- American Airlines
apologized to Brazil yesterday for one of its pilots who was detained
at Sao Paulo airport, fined $12,700 dollars and released after for
making an obscene gesture when he was required to be fingerprinted and
photographed. Federal police here said Dale Robbin Hersh, 52, pilot on
American's Miami-Sao Paulo flight, raised his middle finger as his
photo was being taken by airport security personnel. "He made an
internationally recognized obscene gesture to the police who were
photographing him," federal police spokesman Wagner Castilho said at
a press conference. Police later showed the photo of Mr. Hersh, his
middle finger raised. Mr. Castilho said Mr. Hersh had been detained for
"a serious offense" which could have brought a prison term of up to two
years. But federal prosecutor Matheus Baraldi Magnani said he asked a
local magistrate to impose a fine rather than go to trial, for what he
termed Mr. Hersh's "insulting behavior." The judge complied, fining Mr.
Hersh 36,000 reals, about $12,700, and releasing him. The fine, said
the judge, represented 150 times the Brazilian minimum monthly wage
and took into account "the pilot's financial circumstances and his
insult to national pride and the federal police." He said American
He said American Airlines agreed to pay Mr. Hersh's fine, which would
be contributed to a social service organization. Mr. Hersh, although
Mr. Hersh, although released from custody late yesterday, would not be
allowed to leave the country until American Airlines' check cleared,
court sources said. American Airlines issued a statement apologizing
American Airlines issued a statement apologizing for the incident.
The company apologizes to the Brazilian government, to the port
authorities, to the federal police, and to whoever else feels they
were disrespected," said the statement, which went on to stress that
the captain "did not intend any disrespect." Brazil had ordered all
Americans to be photographed and fingerprinted when entering the
country -- a tit-for-tat response to the U.S. move to photograph
and fingerprint all people entering the United States on a visa.

http://washingtontimes.com/world/200...4649-2781r.htm
---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com

Here's the notorious mug shot:
http://w3.kill-9.com/pilotoamericano1.jpg

Andrew
Old January 15th 04, 11:21 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Andrew" wrote in message
Otis Willie wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with this?
You can't even drive a car more or less fly an airplane in the United States
if your middle finger is broken!!!! It's used as a meaningful method of
friendly visual communication over here.
Why just this morning, my lovely bride of many years made her usual left
turn from the right lane as we were driving to the store.I distinctly saw in
the mirror the guy in the left lane screaming something about her being #1
in his book, and displayed the finger to prove it as he bounced back into
his seat after careening off the steering wheel as she passed by in front of
him!!!
:-))))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old January 15th 04, 11:32 PM
OXMORON1

Dudley noted:
What's wrong with this?
You can't even drive a car more or less fly an airplane in the United States
if your middle finger is broken!!!!

Try arthritis in that digit! A rural cop threatened to write me up and and take
me in when he asked for my driver's license the other night in a routine stop.
My doctor has offered to get me an appointment with a hand surgeon to get the
finger permanently set to a less obvious position. Problem is, a folded in
position gets in the way of a lot of things except writing.
Almost got myself in a fist fight with a guy jockeying for the last handicapped
space at Wally World at Christmas :-)

Oxmoron1
banged up MFE

Old January 16th 04, 12:07 AM
Dudley Henriques

"OXMORON1" wrote in message
[...]

The pain involved with arthritis not withstanding......That's a riot! :-)
I sincerely hope you find a solution that allows you some compromise.
DH

Old January 16th 04, 12:28 AM
John R Weiss

"OXMORON1" wrote...

Try arthritis in that digit! A rural cop threatened to write me up and and

take
me in when he asked for my driver's license the other night in a routine stop.
My doctor has offered to get me an appointment with a hand surgeon to get the
finger permanently set to a less obvious position.

Hmmm... Even Rosie O'Donnell played it up on her show a few years ago when hers
was "stuck up" after losing the fight with her kitchen knife... I didn't see or
hear any outcry in the press or from the courts...

Old January 16th 04, 03:36 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

Andrew wrote:

Otis Willie wrote:

[...]

You have got to be kidding me!! Jeesh! That's not a gesture, that's
holding a piece of paper! What's the penalty for winking?!?

Old January 16th 04, 06:09 AM
Jim Knoyle

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
nk.net...

"OXMORON1" wrote in message
[...]

An old, grizzled press operator on our home town newspaper lost
half of his finger somehow. No idea how...never asked.
When he was ticked off he would give you this evil glare and
stick the stub into his nose. No handicap for him!
JK

Old January 16th 04, 02:15 PM
Peter Stickney

In article t,
"Dudley Henriques" writes:
What's wrong with this?

You can't even drive a car more or less fly an airplane in the United States
if your middle finger is broken!!!! It's used as a meaningful method of
friendly visual communication over here.
Why just this morning, my lovely bride of many years made her usual left
turn from the right lane as we were driving to the store.I distinctly saw in
the mirror the guy in the left lane screaming something about her being #1
in his book, and displayed the finger to prove it as he bounced back into
his seat after careening off the steering wheel as she passed by in front of
him!!!

And, in fact, the upraised mid-finger isn't considered as much of an
obscene guesture in Brazil.

Interestingly enough, IIRC, the "O.K." sign, ('You know, the little
finger circle with the other fingers kinda splayed around, is
considered highly offensive. (It's apparently the Brazilian
Equivalent of "Let's You, me, John Tarver, and the California Senate
Deleegation fet together an have us a Goold Ole Time".)

Caveat: I haven't been to Brazil in decades, and my Copy of
_Jane's_All_the_World's_Insults_and_Guestures_ is rather out of date.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster