Why no new diesel radials?

Old September 11th 05, 03:38 AM
On-Condition

Default Why no new diesel radials?

Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

Old September 11th 05, 04:21 AM
Kyle Boatright

"On-Condition" wrote in message

Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

Because there are no airframes currently in production that are designed for
radials. With other engine configurations, it is possible that the new
diesel(s) might be fitted to current airframes, either for new production or
for retrofits.

Old September 11th 05, 04:34 AM
L.D.

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"On-Condition" wrote in message

Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

Because there are no airframes currently in production that are designed for
radials. With other engine configurations, it is possible that the new
diesel(s) might be fitted to current airframes, either for new production or
for retrofits.

Thrush, Air Tractor, Weatherly.
Old September 11th 05, 04:40 AM
Flyingmonk

Sokois, Murphy Rebel...

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old September 11th 05, 12:37 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sokois, Murphy Rebel...

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

And if you add up all the Sukhois, Murphy Mooses (not rebels), Thrushes,
etc. it isn't a drop in the bucket. There isn't nearly enough volume there
to make a radial diesel worthwhile for someone who wants to make money.

KB

Old September 11th 05, 02:51 PM
Flyingmonk

"Build it and they will come..." ~ field of dreams.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old September 12th 05, 02:52 AM
Morgans

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

And if you add up all the Sukhois, Murphy Mooses (not rebels), Thrushes,
etc. it isn't a drop in the bucket. There isn't nearly enough volume there
to make a radial diesel worthwhile for someone who wants to make money.

I would think that the reason is not economics, but the suitability of a
radial for diesel.

You always see diesels using a very stout block, and very stout cranks and
rods. Could a radial diesel be beefed up enough? I don't know, but I think
the answer is no.

GM tried to use a gas engine block converted to diesel, and it was a dismal
failure. That even had a solid cast iron block, and stout crank, and that
wasn't even up to the task.

Individual jugs are weak, since they blow off even with gasoline pressures,
sometimes. How much stronger would they have to be, for diesel? Could it
be done using separate cylinders?

A master rod may be strong enough, but I would think that the slave rods and
pins would not be. They would have to be extremely beefed up to stand the
pressures. I don't know if there would be enough room in the case to do it.

Good questions raised here. Answers?
--
Jim in NC

Old September 11th 05, 11:58 PM
EAA TC 1441

Zoche had displayed his radial Diesels at Oshkosh for some twenty
years.They were extremely smooth running two stroke turbocharged single
or twin row configurations. Compact, light, and well designed. Zoche
was most likely ahead of the market.
See back issues of Sport Aviation.
Don Black

Old September 12th 05, 05:15 AM
Drew Dalgleish

On 11 Sep 2005 15:58:58 -0700, "EAA TC 1441"
wrote:

Zoche had displayed his radial Diesels at Oshkosh for some twenty
years.They were extremely smooth running two stroke turbocharged single
or twin row configurations. Compact, light, and well designed. Zoche
was most likely ahead of the market.
See back issues of Sport Aviation.
Don Black

I think Zoche was the origional inventor of vaporware.
Old September 11th 05, 05:33 AM
Drew Dalgleish

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:38:36 GMT, On-Condition
wrote:

Just wondering, exactly why are radial diesels not part of the
diesel revival? You can't beat radials on airplanes for smooth
reliability. I once saw a cracked-off jug pounding through the
cowling as the engine was still running (the single Otter had
just landed).

If I won the lottery I'd buy a machine shop. My fist project would be
to machine a radial case to accept cylinders off a deutz engine