How much lack of similarity in airliner flying?

Old September 27th 04, 05:24 PM
Otis McNatt

Default How much lack of similarity in airliner flying?

Suppose *both* pilots in, say, a B-737, were to die in flight
due to some incredible, but unfortunate coincidence. For
instance, one could die of a heart attack, and the other, say,
of an aneurysm. Now, I'll admit the chances of this happening are
remote, but it could happen; stranger things have.

So, suppose it did happen. If there happened to be an airline pilot
on board who was certified in any of the other Boeing models, from the
717 up the 747 and 777, but having no experience flying the 737, would he
have much of a problem landing the plane?

How about if the on board pilot had no Boeing experience, but only experience
with, say, Airbuses, or DC-9s, or the later MD-xx models?

I've been flying more recently, and these thoughts sometimes pop in my head
during those moments sitting up there at 33,000 ft. Also, people sometimes
sit around and babble about "the computer flies the plane" and such, and I'm
sure computers play a significant role with airliners now, but just how much?
I would think that humans still take the controls at least during takeoff
and landing, yes? And sometime I tune into the communications, and hear
that pilots are regularly requesting altitude changes and such. So, how
much does "the computer" fly the modern airliners now?

Also, would a highly intelligent, quick-learner, who keeps his cool under
pressure (but with absolutely no flying experience) have any chance at all
of landing the plane without killing everyone, while taking good instructions
from someone on the radio?

--
O.M.
Old September 27th 04, 05:59 PM
Mike Rapoport

You watch too much TV. The chances of two healthy people dying from
unrelated causes at the same time is so remote as to be inconcievable. Have
you considered the posibility of the airplane being hit by a meteor?

Mike
MU-2

om...

Old September 27th 04, 07:01 PM
Dan Luke

"Otis McNatt" wrote:
Suppose *both* pilots in, say, a B-737, were to die in flight
due to some incredible, but unfortunate coincidence. For
instance, one could die of a heart attack, and the other, say,
of an aneurysm. Now, I'll admit the chances of this happening are
remote, but it could happen; stranger things have.

So, suppose it did happen. If there happened to be an airline pilot
on board who was certified in any of the other Boeing models, from the
717 up the 747 and 777, but having no experience flying the 737, would he
have much of a problem landing the plane?

No.

How about if the on board pilot had no Boeing experience, but only

experience
with, say, Airbuses, or DC-9s, or the later MD-xx models?

No problem. Anything he needed to know he could get over the radio.

I've been flying more recently, and these thoughts sometimes pop in my

head
during those moments sitting up there at 33,000 ft. Also, people

sometimes
sit around and babble about "the computer flies the plane" and such, and

I'm
sure computers play a significant role with airliners now, but just how

much?
I would think that humans still take the controls at least during takeoff
and landing, yes? And sometime I tune into the communications, and hear
that pilots are regularly requesting altitude changes and such. So, how
much does "the computer" fly the modern airliners now?

Depends on the airliner in question. All have autopilots, many have
autoland capability.

Also, would a highly intelligent, quick-learner, who keeps his cool under
pressure (but with absolutely no flying experience) have any chance at all
of landing the plane without killing everyone, while taking good

instructions
from someone on the radio?

Pretty good chance if the aircraft were well equipped with automation gear.
Not impossible but highly doubtful if it were a more primitive type.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old September 27th 04, 07:15 PM
Ron Natalie

One of the Belvoir rags (I think it was probably IFR magazine), took three
pilots: one long time IFR pilot and controller (who I know personally), a student
pilot, and a third pilot and dumped them cold into a 737 simulator. While there's
a strong tendency to overcontrol, all three of them got the plane onto the ground.

Old September 27th 04, 08:25 PM
Dale

In article ,
"Mike Rapoport" wrote:

Have you considered the posibility of the airplane being hit by a
meteor?

What do you think killed the two pilots? G

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old September 27th 04, 08:48 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Dale" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mike Rapoport" wrote:

Have you considered the posibility of the airplane being hit by a
meteor?

What do you think killed the two pilots? G

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html

I thought one died of a heart attack and the other of an aneurysm. Upon
reflection, I suppose that, two people, one having a heart attack and the
other having an aneurysm is not that unlikely if they saw a big,
incandescent rock coming at them a 60,000mph, so perhaps the meteor did kill
them.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 27th 04, 09:15 PM
Peter Clark

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:15:11 -0400, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

One of the Belvoir rags (I think it was probably IFR magazine), took three
pilots: one long time IFR pilot and controller (who I know personally), a student
pilot, and a third pilot and dumped them cold into a 737 simulator. While there's
a strong tendency to overcontrol, all three of them got the plane onto the ground.

Hell, *I* could get it on the ground ;0

Old September 27th 04, 11:40 PM
Otis McNatt

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message k.net...
You watch too much TV.

I actually watch very little TV.

The chances of two healthy people dying from
unrelated causes at the same time is so remote as to be inconcievable. Have
you considered the posibility of the airplane being hit by a meteor?

Please re-read the subject line of my post, which is the main question
I was curious about. If you are unable to answer it, then remaining
quiet might be a swell idea, don't you think? I just thought there
might be someone here who knows something about the big stuff.

--
O.M.
Old September 27th 04, 11:48 PM
Otis McNatt

"Dan Luke" wrote in message ...
"Otis McNatt" wrote:
Suppose *both* pilots in, say, a B-737, were to die in flight
due to some incredible, but unfortunate coincidence. For
instance, one could die of a heart attack, and the other, say,
of an aneurysm. Now, I'll admit the chances of this happening are
remote, but it could happen; stranger things have.

So, suppose it did happen. If there happened to be an airline pilot
on board who was certified in any of the other Boeing models, from the
717 up the 747 and 777, but having no experience flying the 737, would he
have much of a problem landing the plane?

No.

How about if the on board pilot had no Boeing experience, but only

experience
with, say, Airbuses, or DC-9s, or the later MD-xx models?

No problem. Anything he needed to know he could get over the radio.

One would think so anyway. I remember reading something written by
an airline pilot once, in which he said in effect that when an airline
pilot begins training on a new aircraft, it can be almost as bewildering
as with his first aircraft. I was just curious about just how much trouble
an MD-88 pilot, say, would have with a 737, if he were just thrust into
the cockpit in an emergency situation, without ever having been there before.

--
O.M.
Old September 27th 04, 11:57 PM
david renner

"Otis McNatt" wrote in message
om...
Suppose *both* pilots in, say, a B-737, were to die in flight
due to some incredible, but unfortunate coincidence. For

kind of a neat question that most of us have wondered at some point (meteors
not withstanding.) I've knew a guy who talked a non-jet pilot through a
landing in a lear with no problem. btw, small though they are, lears are not
that forgiving. there are a lot of particulars involved with each jet. i got
a chance at a little stick time in a straight wing citation, and even though
it was a much simpler airplane than any of the jets i've flown, i was not
familiar with it. i've sometimes thought that the tough part for someone who
was jumping in a jet with no experience would be the wing loading and power
response. without a ball park target power setting on final, one might start
chasing power, airspeed and sink rate, and not catch up in time.
could most professional jet pilots land another jet? sure, but they would be
on the radio asking someone who flew that type about system operation,
target values, etc.