New Orleans Lakefront Airport

Old September 2nd 05, 05:16 AM
Mike Rapoport

There are shortages in some markets like Baton Rouge but its not just
gasoline, its everything. I have a partner who lived in New Orleans and is
now in Houston, here are no suitable apartments availible in Houston or
hotel rooms. There are a lot of people on the move.

I've been watching the relief effort on TV. While the front line
police/fire/ambulence/NG people are all doing great things, the planning
authorities really f*cked this one up. If I was expecting ten thousand or
more people to show up somewhere and expected them to stay for more than a
couple of hours, I would at least have plenty of water on hand. If I had
ten thousand people without food or water and I had to move them, I wouldn't
take two days to get started and I wouldn't delay the evacuation to put FEMA
and US flag stickers on the buses first. If I had tens of thousands of
people without food, water, sanitation and without law enforcement, I
wouldn't activate the NG one unit at a time, I would activate them all at
once and try to borrow units from neighboring states too. Even us dopes in
N Idaho knew the Gulf Coast was going to get pasted several days beforehand.
Why does it seem that it was too complicated for the city/state/federal
professionaly to figure out what to do?

Mike
MU-2

"john smith" wrote in message
news
nrp wrote:
At least fuel is still available.

Hmmm??? Kinda makes one wonder if there really is a shortage, doesn't it?
If there were truely a shortage nationwide, wouldn't you expect many
stations to be closed?
How many gas stations in your area are closed because they cannot get gas?

Old September 2nd 05, 06:31 AM
sfb

The NG requires food and water and trucks that use gasoline on passable
roads. You can't bring warm bodies in to help until you have the support
they need to survive. The old saying is generals win battles and the
logistics types win wars.

The northern Idaho crystal ball is pretty damn good. Maybe you could
lend it to the National Weather Service. 72 hours before Katrina hit
New Orleans it was off Naples, Florida with hurricane watches and
warnings on the west coast of Florida. She didn't even get north of the
Tampa Bay latitude until early Sunday.

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

"john smith" wrote in message
news

Old September 2nd 05, 12:03 PM
Thomas Borchert

Martin,

with all the oil and waste etc?

Check on the status of the Venice water...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 2nd 05, 12:03 PM
Thomas Borchert

This is the country that built the Panama Canal and put men on the moon
in under a decade.

It's also the country running the space shuttle...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 2nd 05, 12:11 PM
Denny

At my place on Manasota Key I pay $0.50 PER GALLON for water... Have
for years... A tip for the investor, invest in water companies...

denny

Old September 2nd 05, 04:29 PM
George Patterson

Martin Hotze wrote:

Venice exists probably longer than the whole US.

So has New Orleans.

George Patterson
Old September 2nd 05, 05:02 PM
john smith

Venice exists probably longer than the whole US.

So has New Orleans.

Don't forget the Netherlands!
Old September 2nd 05, 06:12 PM
Mike Rapoport

Our crystal ball (aka TWC) only fortold that the Gulf Coast would be hit,
not NO specifically. The point is that little or no pre-landfall
preparation seems to have taken place. A few water trucks and a thousand
dollars worth of paper cups at the superdome would have gone a long way as
would a couple of large generators and a diesel truck to fuel them (all
availible at the local equipment rental company). There are people who's
job is to think of this stuff and they had decades to think it through. I
find their performance unsatisfactory. The outcome of a levee breach at NO
has been feature on almost every hurricane show I have ever watched on TV.
This shouldn't have been a surprise.

Mike
MU-2

"sfb" wrote in message news:qsRRe.8105$__1.3116@trnddc07...
[...]

"john smith" wrote in message
news

Old September 2nd 05, 06:52 PM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
Our crystal ball (aka TWC) only fortold that the Gulf Coast would be hit,
not NO specifically. The point is that little or no pre-landfall
preparation seems to have taken place. A few water trucks and a thousand
dollars worth of paper cups at the superdome would have gone a long way as
would a couple of large generators and a diesel truck to fuel them (all
availible at the local equipment rental company). There are people who's
job is to think of this stuff and they had decades to think it through. I
find their performance unsatisfactory. The outcome of a levee breach at

NO
has been feature on almost every hurricane show I have ever watched on TV.
This shouldn't have been a surprise.

One of the two levees that broke had recently been upgraded. The old ones
held fast.

http://nytimes.com/2005/09/01/nation...l/01levee.html

--
Matt
---------------------

Old September 2nd 05, 07:19 PM
john smith

Matt Barrow wrote:
One of the two levees that broke had recently been upgraded. The old ones
held fast.

The report I heard was that they added a wall atop the levee.
Isn't that just like a big lever to dig the levee when the water pushes
against it?

Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems... [email protected] Piloting 7 June 6th 05 11:32 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM