What is cabin air pressure set at

Old September 8th 05, 04:23 PM
Dave

Bright guy.

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote:

So passing out counts as "not physically working" at 15k right?

I haven't any idea what you're asking about...what does it mean
in English?...

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
. ..
"jmk" wrote:

Both sets of numbers are correct. Early pressurized airliners were at
6000 MSL. Later, as they started flying higher and higher (especially
for oceanic routes) it was raised to 8000 MSL. This saves lots of
money - it increases airframe life and reduces fuel bills. Now all the
major carriers are flying with an 8000 foot cabin pressure.

There are talks about the newest generation of superliners being able
to give a superior "coach experience" by being back to 6000, but don't
hold your breath. [Pun intended.]

And don't expect to be able to tell the difference either. I flew
some pressurized but mostly unpressurized aircraft for over 25
years and I defy anyone to tell the difference between sealevel
and 15,000 as long as they're not physically working, are in
average physical shape, cannot see outside the aircraft and have
no instruments...so this particular 'coach experience' claim is
just hype...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Old September 8th 05, 05:49 PM
Gord Beaman

"Dave" wrote:

Bright guy.

huh?
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old September 8th 05, 08:40 PM

I hate to even respond to this, but...

: Sure..that's correct...you'll likely notice that I didn't mention
: anything about endurance at these altitudes, yes?...ever hear of
: the expression of RTFQ?, a variation on that applies here...
: --

Your original post:

"And don't expect to be able to tell the difference either. I flew
some pressurized but mostly unpressurized aircraft for over 25
years and I defy anyone to tell the difference between sealevel
and 15,000 as long as they're not physically working, are in
average physical shape, cannot see outside the aircraft and have
no instruments...so this particular 'coach experience' claim is
just hype..."

You said nothing about endurance. Simply that it's impossible for normal
people who aren't working hard and cannot see outside to determine that cabin altitude
is at 15k feet. Had you said short periods of time, I would agree with you. In the
context of the original post (i.e. travel on commercial airlines), that is most
decidedly NOT the case. Multiple hours of travel are the norm and would most
certainly cause impairment and potentially other health problems.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old September 8th 05, 11:14 PM
Dave

Exactly.

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote:

Bright guy.

huh?
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Old September 9th 05, 01:59 AM

Gord Beaman wrote:
: You said nothing about endurance. Simply that it's impossible for normal
: people who aren't working hard and cannot see outside to determine that cabin altitude
: is at 15k feet. Had you said short periods of time, I would agree with you. In the
: context of the original post (i.e. travel on commercial airlines), that is most
: decidedly NOT the case. Multiple hours of travel are the norm and would most
: certainly cause impairment and potentially other health problems.
:
: -Cory

: Ok Cory.
: You're right.
: I'm wrong.
: Happy now?
: --

Funny.. I was planning on having a very similar response to any rebuttal....

'nuff about this crap

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old October 12th 05, 03:30 PM
Andrew Koenig

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message

And don't expect to be able to tell the difference either. I flew
some pressurized but mostly unpressurized aircraft for over 25
years and I defy anyone to tell the difference between sealevel
and 15,000 as long as they're not physically working, are in
average physical shape, cannot see outside the aircraft and have
no instruments...so this particular 'coach experience' claim is
just hype...

Once I visited the observatory at Mauna Kea, which is at 13,800 feet
elevation. Based on that experience, I find it hard to believe that
*anyone* couldn't tell the difference between sea level and 15,000 feet --
at least not after returning to sea level.

Old October 12th 05, 10:52 PM
Ron Natalie

Andrew Koenig wrote:
"Gord Beaman" wrote in message

And don't expect to be able to tell the difference either. I flew
some pressurized but mostly unpressurized aircraft for over 25
years and I defy anyone to tell the difference between sealevel
and 15,000 as long as they're not physically working, are in
average physical shape, cannot see outside the aircraft and have
no instruments...so this particular 'coach experience' claim is
just hype...

Once I visited the observatory at Mauna Kea, which is at 13,800 feet
elevation. Based on that experience, I find it hard to believe that
*anyone* couldn't tell the difference between sea level and 15,000 feet --
at least not after returning to sea level.

You don't have to physically work very hard to notice. I noticed the
effects of the reduced oxygen content at 12,000 feet just by what I had
to do to turn around and reach back to shut the rear seat air vent in
the Navion.