Anybody got a circuit diagram for a VHF AM covers 118-136MHz - I want to build one...

Old May 20th 04, 04:10 AM
steve mew

Default Anybody got a circuit diagram for a VHF AM covers 118-136MHz - I want to build one...

I am an electronics engineer and I though a good project would be to build
an aircraft tranceiver.
Has anyone got any good schematics or ideas ?

Thanks

Old May 20th 04, 11:31 AM
SFM

steve mew wrote:

I am an electronics engineer and I though a good project would be to

build
an aircraft tranceiver.
Has anyone got any good schematics or ideas ?

You can engineer up a simple single or double conversion AM receiver with
2N2222A transistors and a couple of opamps for the audio section. A simple
diode detector will do. I did this when I was an EE student in comm lab, you
must have been one of those bit head in school ;-)

Catch the wave!
www.hamwave.com

**"A long time ago being crazy meant something, nowadays everyone is
crazy" -- Charles Manson**
-------------------------------------

Old May 20th 04, 12:51 PM
Ray Andraka

How about a kit?

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi...ction&key=AR1C

steve mew wrote:

I am an electronics engineer and I though a good project would be to build
an aircraft tranceiver.
Has anyone got any good schematics or ideas ?

Thanks

--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950
email
http://www.andraka.com

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old May 20th 04, 12:54 PM
Nathan Young

On Thu, 20 May 2004 03:10:23 GMT, "steve mew"
wrote:

I am an electronics engineer and I though a good project would be to build
an aircraft tranceiver.
Has anyone got any good schematics or ideas ?

Thanks

Do a few web searches, there are several diode-detector based
schematics out there.

If you're looking for one with a heterodyning (is that a word?) front
end...
http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm...97/20di_03.htm

-Nathan

Old May 20th 04, 03:22 PM

steve mew wrote:

I am an electronics engineer and I though a good project would be to build
an aircraft tranceiver.
Has anyone got any good schematics or ideas ?

Since you want to build a transmitter on the aviation band, you have to meet
some pretty tight bandwidth requirements. The last thing the aviation
community needs is a unlicensed, possibly "dirty" transmitter on the aviation
band.

Old May 20th 04, 11:18 PM
Teacherjh

I am an electronics engineer and I though a good project would be to build
an aircraft tranceiver.

You may not operate such a tranciever (even to test it) unless you and the
equipment are licensed. You won't get the equipment licensed without paying
mucho money. Amateur ("ham") radio operator can build and operate their own
equipment but only on the ham bands. That would be something to look into. Go
to http://www.arrl.com for information on how to get involved in ham radio and
get licensed.

Jose

Old May 23rd 04, 12:09 AM
columbotrek

I don't think it would hurt anybody if you kept your project in a
faraday cage into a resistive load. As another person mentioned, don't
use a home brew transceiver in the aircraft band. If you have a lawful
reason to be transmitting there, buy a 300 dollar hand held transceiver.
A good place for that is in the amateur radio band. They will welcome
you there. Not enough home brewer's in the hobby any more. If you want
to do something AM in the VHF range have a look at the band plan for the
144 - 148 Mhz or Ham 2 meter band. You will get simular propagation
charaisticts. Oh and you will be allowed to run higher output radios
there as well if you want.

steve mew wrote:
I am an electronics engineer and I though a good project would be to build
an aircraft tranceiver.
Has anyone got any good schematics or ideas ?

Thanks

"How can there possibly be liberty and justice for all, when, in the
name of justice, people claim rights to income, food, housing,
education, health care, transportation, ad infinitum? We can't. Positive
rights to receive such things, absent an obligation to earn them, must
violate others' liberty, by taking some of their income without their
consent. They are really just wishes, convertible into benefits for some
only by employing the government to violate others' rights not to have
what is theirs taken." --Pepperdine Professor Gary Galles
Old May 23rd 04, 03:32 AM
Bravo Delta

I am an electronics engineer and I though a good project would be to build
an aircraft tranceiver.
Has anyone got any good schematics or ideas ?

Thanks

There was a receiver only project in Electronics Now a few years ago. IIRC,
they became Poptronics then went out of business. Design was based on a
NE602.

Old May 26th 04, 10:47 PM
Ron Natalie

"Bravo Delta" wrote in message ...

There was a receiver only project in Electronics Now a few years ago. IIRC,
they became Poptronics then went out of business. Design was based on a
NE602.

Larry's still around operating the magazine as a web page. Of course, nothing has changed in
six months as near as I can tell.