Should I file to an intersection?

Old June 2nd 04, 04:19 AM
Snowbird

"Iain Wilson" wrote in message link.net...
GPS approaches/Filing IAF
Good to know. You'd think that anything designated as an IAF would be in the
system..

Yeah, well. The thought that my Palm VIIx has more memory than
today's ATC computers is pretty scary actually.

Undoubtedly, but you still file a plan primarily for routing & lost comms.
If there are no other more sensible actions, then you are supposed to fly
what you've filed.

My point is, and this isn't aimed at you in particular, I hear a lot of
stressing over the fine points of routing "in case of lost comms". But
in fact, following the route as filed is only one of several RL options
in the case of lost comms, and quite likely not the best option.

JMO, but if there are no other "more sensible actions" I kinda think
as the pilot of a light SE airplane I should stay in the air.

Unless I've specifically requested the Full Procedure- ABC Transition,

then,
as stated by another poster, you always get vectored to final.

Um, no. If you are flying into airports where the ATC facility can
provide radar vectors to the FAC, you almost always get vectored to
final. However, there are many airports and many approaches where this
isn't true, and you'll be flying the full approach including the PT or
other course reversal.

Um, obviously with no radar, there'll be no vectoring.

It's not as simple as "no radar", there can be radar coverage but it
must meet certain criterion for ATC to be able to provide radar vectors
to the FAC.

But I was addressing the statement "you always get vectored to final"
T'aint so.

Cheers,
Sydney