Two Q's: Cruise Clearance, Searchable AIM

Old May 31st 04, 05:15 PM
Geo. Anderson

Default Two Q's: Cruise Clearance, Searchable AIM

Checkride in about three weeks & I am trying to figure out cruise
clearance. Simple enough, cleared between the MEA and the altitude
limit, but I also read somewhere that it is also used to clear you for
descent into a non-ifr airport. Right? How does this work & is it
something you request or does ATC just give it to you?

I'm sure it is in the AIM somewhere but I couldn't find it last night.
So, I thought it would be an easy thing to research on-line if I could
find a searchable AIM, but I am having no luck. Non-searchable AIM on
the FAA site, several searchable FAR options in my bookmarks, but no
downloadable or on-line searchable AIM. Does anyone know where I can
find one?

tia,
Geo. Anderson
Old May 31st 04, 06:48 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Geo. Anderson" wrote in message

Checkride in about three weeks & I am trying to figure out cruise
clearance. Simple enough, cleared between the MEA and the altitude

It is described well enough in the Pilot/Controller Glossary in the AIM:

CRUISE - Used in an ATC clearance to authorize a pilot to conduct flight at
any altitude from the minimum IFR altitude up to and including the altitude
specified in the clearance. The pilot may level off at any intermediate
altitude within this block of airspace. Climb/descent within the block is to
be made at the discretion of the pilot. However, once the pilot starts
descent and verbally reports leaving an altitude in the block, he may not
return to that altitude without additional ATC clearance. Further, it is
approval for the pilot to proceed to and make an approach at destination
airport and can be used in conjunction with:
a. An airport clearance limit at locations with a standard/special
instrument approach procedure. The FAR's require that if an instrument
letdown to an airport is necessary, the pilot shall make the letdown in
accordance with a standard/special instrument approach procedure for that
airport, or
b. An airport clearance limit at locations that are within/below/outside
controlled airspace and without a standard/special instrument approach
procedure. Such a clearance is NOT AUTHORIZATION for the pilot to descend
under IFR conditions below the applicable minimum IFR altitude nor does it
imply that ATC is exercising control over aircraft in Class G airspace;
however, it provides a means for the aircraft to proceed to destination
airport, descend, and land in accordance with applicable FAR's governing VFR
flight operations. Also, this provides search and rescue protection until
such time as the IFR flight plan is closed. (See Instrument Approach
Procedure)

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old May 31st 04, 07:18 PM
Geo. Anderson

On 5/31/04 12:48 PM, Richard Kaplan wrote the following:

"Geo. Anderson" wrote in message

Checkride in about three weeks & I am trying to figure out cruise
clearance. Simple enough, cleared between the MEA and the altitude

It is described well enough in the Pilot/Controller Glossary in the AIM:

snip

Thanks. Yes, I did find those paragraphs as I continued to hunt after
posting the question.

But how does the controller give you one of the landing-type clearance
variations? For an IFR approach, "Cruise 6000, descend and execute
approach at pilot's discretion" or something like that? How about
non-IFR airports, since you apparently must be VFR below the MEA?

I have never been given (or for that matter, asked for) this type of a
clearance. It's pure book theory for me.

Geo.
Old May 31st 04, 07:32 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Geo. Anderson" wrote in message

But how does the controller give you one of the landing-type clearance
variations? For an IFR approach, "Cruise 6000, descend and execute
approach at pilot's discretion" or something like that? How about
non-IFR airports, since you apparently must be VFR below the MEA?

Suppose KABC is a VFR-only airport. If you have filed IFR with KABC as your
clearance limit and you are given the clearance "Cruise 6000" then that
includes approval for you to execute a visual approach to KABC. When you
arrive at KABC you may descend as low as the minimum IFR altitude. If and
only if you then find yourself in VFR conditions, then you may execute a
visual approach; if you are not in VFR conditions, then you may climb back
up again and ask ATC for a new clearance.

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old May 31st 04, 08:12 PM
Newps

"Geo. Anderson" wrote in message

But how does the controller give you one of the landing-type clearance
variations? For an IFR approach, "Cruise 6000, descend and execute
approach at pilot's discretion" or something like that? How about
non-IFR airports, since you apparently must be VFR below the MEA?

A cruise clearance is an approach clearance. You get to pick the approach.

I have never been given (or for that matter, asked for) this type of a
clearance. It's pure book theory for me.

And unless you fly to the boonies it always will be too. You will almost
never see it east of the Mississippi.

Old May 31st 04, 08:16 PM
Steven Barnes

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

[snip]

I'm working on my ifr. I've always been confused with this part about
"once the pilot starts descent and verbally reports leaving an altitude in
the block, he may not return to that altitude without additional ATC
clearance."

I'm thinking, why report leaving an altitude? That just restricts what you
can do later. Or at least makes you ask for it back. What would make the
pilot verbally report leaving an altitude in the block?

Old May 31st 04, 08:24 PM
Roy Smith

"Steven Barnes" wrote:
I'm working on my ifr. I've always been confused with this part about
"once the pilot starts descent and verbally reports leaving an altitude in
the block, he may not return to that altitude without additional ATC
clearance."

I'm thinking, why report leaving an altitude? That just restricts what you
can do later. Or at least makes you ask for it back. What would make the
pilot verbally report leaving an altitude in the block?

For the same reason people cancel IFR once they have the airport in
sight. It frees up some airspace for somebody else to use. You're not
required to do so, but it's part of being a good IFR citizen.