OSH '08 Redux -- The Torch Has been Passed, Part II

Old August 6th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default OSH '08 Redux -- The Torch Has been Passed, Part II

My guess was that the FAA nixed it as nobody at the FAA would want the
liability in the small chance something went wrong. It didn't hurt
the FAA any to keep it their own private fiefdom. Other than the
educational/public relations they could have garnered. Oh well.

I would say, "maybe next year" but it sounds like it will be torn down
by next year. Shame.

According to what we were told, Miron Corporation -- the company that built
both the old *and* new towers (boy, they've been around a while) -- owns the
old tower, and can do with it whatever they want. They plan to tear it
down.

I think they should sell individual bricks. They would raise a ton of money
from folks like us (who have literally grown up, and then older, in the
shadow of that structure) who would buy one.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 6th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bdl

On Aug 5, 7:55*pm, John Smith wrote:

Finally!
Someone understands that the FAA, not the EAA owns the tower and
determines what can and will be done with the old "Tower".

Still a shame... Even with the FAA owning the tower they could have
provided tours. We, the public, after all, are their employers. It
would be one thing to do it year round, but during Airventure,
volunteers should have been easy to find.

Brian
Old August 6th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

bdl wrote:
On Aug 5, 7:55 pm, John Smith wrote:

Finally!
Someone understands that the FAA, not the EAA owns the tower and
determines what can and will be done with the old "Tower".

Still a shame... Even with the FAA owning the tower they could have
provided tours. We, the public, after all, are their employers. It
would be one thing to do it year round, but during Airventure,
volunteers should have been easy to find.

Volunteers as tour guides? The blind leading the blind.

Old August 6th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Jay Honeck wrote:
My guess was that the FAA nixed it as nobody at the FAA would want the
liability in the small chance something went wrong. It didn't hurt
the FAA any to keep it their own private fiefdom. Other than the
educational/public relations they could have garnered. Oh well.

I would say, "maybe next year" but it sounds like it will be torn down
by next year. Shame.

According to what we were told, Miron Corporation -- the company that
built both the old *and* new towers (boy, they've been around a while)
-- owns the old tower, and can do with it whatever they want. They
plan to tear it down.

I think they should sell individual bricks. They would raise a ton of
money from folks like us (who have literally grown up, and then older,
in the shadow of that structure) who would buy one.

Or if they really want to make some money (or kiss up to large
supports/advertisers) turn it into a skybox.
Old August 6th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Volunteers as tour guides? The blind leading the blind.

True, but most people would've been happy just for the great view.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old August 6th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I think they should sell individual bricks. They would raise a ton of
money from folks like us (who have literally grown up, and then older, in
the shadow of that structure) who would buy one.

Or if they really want to make some money (or kiss up to large
supports/advertisers) turn it into a skybox.

That would be cool, but (as it was explained to me) the tower's old HVAC
systems are terrible, and there's no way to add an elevator. In our modern
whiny age, this precludes using the remodeled structure for any kind of
public use.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 6th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

Volunteers as tour guides? The blind leading the blind.

True, but most people would've been happy just for the great view.

You probably envision an empty tower. I envision a tower with open
equipment cabinets and cables laid across floors.

Old August 6th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

My guess was that the FAA nixed it as nobody at the FAA would want the
liability in the small chance something went wrong. It didn't hurt
the FAA any to keep it their own private fiefdom. Other than the
educational/public relations they could have garnered. Oh well.

I would say, "maybe next year" but it sounds like it will be torn down
by next year. Shame.

According to what we were told, Miron Corporation -- the company that
built both the old *and* new towers (boy, they've been around a while)
-- owns the old tower, and can do with it whatever they want. They
plan to tear it down.

I think they should sell individual bricks. They would raise a ton of
money from folks like us (who have literally grown up, and then older,
in the shadow of that structure) who would buy one.

Oh double barf.

Bertie
Old August 6th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

I think they should sell individual bricks. They would raise a ton
of money from folks like us (who have literally grown up, and then
older, in the shadow of that structure) who would buy one.

Or if they really want to make some money (or kiss up to large
supports/advertisers) turn it into a skybox.

That would be cool, but (as it was explained to me) the tower's old
HVAC systems are terrible, and there's no way to add an elevator. In
our modern whiny age,

Great PKB there whiney boi.

Bertie
Old August 6th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bdl

On Aug 6, 7:59*am, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
bdl wrote:
Volunteers as tour guides? *The blind leading the blind.

You couldn't get 20 people together and give them a 1 hour "training"
session on Wittman layout and OSH ATC procedures, and perhaps a little
tower history?

(see those 4 guys at the beginning of 27? they are the departure
ATC). See the tower behind you? They handle arrivals.. Come on its
not THAT tough.

The volunteers would be there to basically make sure that nobody was
trying to jump off the thing, steal radios, or trip over those cables
you mentioned.

As an added bonus, perhaps one of the ATC guys over at the NATCA tent
could hop on up for 15 minutes every once in a while to be an
"expert", while getting a good word in for NATCA ("after the tour your
welcome to come down tot he NATCA tent where you can hear about our
contract negotiations").

It seems to me that if the FAA had handed over the building to the EAA
for the week along with whatever caveats they needed (we can close you
down at will, you have to hire a security guard, whatever) the EAA
would have found a way.. And made some money in the process. And
provided a good education into the great job the guys in the pink
shirts do everyday at OSH.

Brian
N9093K