B-50(?) + X1

Old June 30th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default B-50(?) + X1

OK, everyone's seen a million RC model videos, but this one's pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1gW4...eature=related

Old June 30th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
m...
OK, everyone's seen a million RC model videos, but this one's pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1gW4...eature=related

B-29 wasn't it?

Very cool.

Old June 30th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:19:59 -0500, "Dan Luke" wrote in
:

OK, everyone's seen a million RC model videos, but this one's pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1gW4...eature=related

It's a B-29. A historically accurate pairing:

http://members.tripod.com/derekhorne/yeagerx1.html

There have been a couple versions of that model built
by Mac Hodges.

One of them lost control and went through the windshield of a
rental car at an RC airshow. I can't find an internet
reference to the event.

The aerobatic maneuvers of the models of the X-1 and the B-29
are, of course, outside the general operating limits of the
prototypes. )

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old June 30th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote:

It's a B-29. A historically accurate pairing:

http://members.tripod.com/derekhorne/yeagerx1.html

Roger that.

The aerobatic maneuvers of the models of the X-1 and the B-29
are, of course, outside the general operating limits of the
prototypes. )

Yep. Used to be one of my pet peeves back in my scale RC competition days.

But that B-29 in a flat spin is a mind blower. I thought he wasn't going to
recover.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old June 30th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:37:03 -0500, "Dan Luke" wrote in
:

The aerobatic maneuvers of the models of the X-1 and the B-29
are, of course, outside the general operating limits of the
prototypes. )

Yep. Used to be one of my pet peeves back in my scale RC competition days.

I've only read about scale RC competition. I haven't
competed myself. But I did get the idea that the catalogue
of maneuvers chosen for flight judging were supposed to be
limited to the abilities of the prototype.

But that B-29 in a flat spin is a mind blower. I thought he wasn't going to
recover.

Great showmanship--and great camera work to catch the
ejection of the "pilots."

Of course, a B-29 would have more than 2 souls on board,
especially for an X-1 flight. Just another deviation from
the 1:1 world. )

Marty
Old June 30th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Martin X. Moleski, SJ wrote:

Great showmanship--and great camera work to catch the
ejection of the "pilots."

Of course, a B-29 would have more than 2 souls on board,
especially for an X-1 flight. Just another deviation from
the 1:1 world. )

The ejection seats alone are a deviation.

Old July 1st 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Martin X. Moleski, wrote:
The aerobatic maneuvers of the models of the X-1 and the B-29
are, of course, outside the general operating limits of the
prototypes. )

Yep. Used to be one of my pet peeves back in my scale RC competition
days.

I've only read about scale RC competition. I haven't
competed myself. But I did get the idea that the catalogue
of maneuvers chosen for flight judging were supposed to be
limited to the abilities of the prototype.

Yep.

In serious contests such as the U. S. Scale Masters, a contestant's score is
a combination of his static (documented accuracy, detail and
workmanship)score plus the best of three flying scores. A contestant who
spun a B-29 model in this setting would get a very poor score, indeed.

http://www.scalemasters.org/f/2008Co...e1708Final.pdf

http://www.ussma-midwest.org/photos/...s.php?album=15

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old July 1st 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
m:

"Martin X. Moleski, wrote:
[...]

Don't know why, they would have spun test the original!

Bertie
Old July 1st 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Don't know why, they would have spun test the original!

Bertie

For sure? Have all commercial airliners been spun tested?
Old July 1st 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

romeomike wrote in :

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Don't know why, they would have spun test the original!

Bertie

For sure? Have all commercial airliners been spun tested?

Well, it's not a commercial airliner, but back then they were. I've been in
a DC 3 in a spin. I wasn't flying, just observing but during a training
flight they lost it during a VMC demo and it did almost a turn. Recovery
was pretty much normal.

Bertie