High Blood Pressure -- Part II

Old May 4th 05, 03:52 AM
W P Dixon

Good going Jay,
I have stayed with my diet as I have mentioned about 2 months ago. I have
gone from 201 to 175, with my goal being 165..my marine weight. I did not do
it all by fruit, I used mostly a watch cholestoral and sat fat diet. With my
version of a normal meal 2 or 3 times a week. Instead of a sandwich for
lunch , yep with all the mayo ham and cheese, I ate a bowl of oatmeal w/
alittle honey on it. I watch the sat fats to about 8 grams a day, yep
sometimes you go over with the normal meal, just remember eat a normal meal
on those days...no second helpings! Cholestoral is
where my problem was, my intake per day on it is less than 40 mg. Heart docs
will kiss you if you stick to that!!!!! I really need to find a good looking
woman heart doc! Even though I have the DVT thing going on, and it really
had stopped my usual activities, my energy level has tripled, and it makes
me feel less and less like anything else is wrong with me!!
So keep hanging in there you can lose all you want , just remember a
treat now and then is ok. If you try to cold turkey off of everything that
you love or that's bad for you at once you have more of a chance to "stop"
the diet. I had to do something I love planes, but I really wanted to do
what I could to see my boy become Commandant of the Marine Corps (17), and
walk my girls down the aisle when they marry (8,1) .
And well I just know if I die first my wife is going to put my in a
plastic trash bag and chunk me in the creek to save money on the burial!!
HAHAHA She's a tightwad I tell you!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old May 4th 05, 03:59 AM
H.P.

I've been on diets since I was 13. I'm 54 now. I have found that nothing
works long term and permanent like controlling your food intake so that you
are hungry once a day. I mean hunger pangs, famished. Just once per day. No
matter what you eat, the once-a-day-hunger diet works. Of course, it helps
to exercise. A brisk walk every morning will do. I've found that this way
I can eat anything, as long as I become hungry once in a twenty-four hour
period.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
As some of you know, six weeks ago I was diagnosed with high blood
pressure, and was prescribed medication. Although the medicine the doc
gave me WAS on the FAA's list of "approved" drugs, the mere act of
taking such a drug would set into motion all sorts of things regarding
obtaining future medicals that I simply didn't want to face.

Nevertheless, there I was, standing in my bathrobe, holding that stupid
pill in one hand, a glass of water in the other, feeling old and flabby
and powerless. Yet, just as I was about to swallow the damned thing, I
realized one simple fact with absolute clarity:

I liked flying more than I liked eating.

So, with that I put the pill back in the bottle, and resolved on the
spot to change my diet and (to some extent) my lifestyle. I was going
to lose 15 pounds, and see if the old BP would follow.

At 197 pounds, on a 6-foot frame, I was not obese. I have done weight
training with my 14-year-old son for almost two years now, every day --
so there's a fair amount of muscle on this 46-year-old frame. However,
in college I was in even better shape -- and weighed just 175 pounds.
So, I knew there was at least 15 pounds of "extra" Jay on board at all
times.

The first thing I needed to do was to make sure that -- whatever diet I
chose -- I was never hungry. This meant that I needed a high-bulk, low
calorie diet. Since I find the high-fat/high protein/all meat diets to
be counterintuitive, I opted to create a diet made primarily of fruit.

Why fruit? Well, it's no-salt, low calorie, full of vitamins, high in
bulk -- and tasty as hell! I decided I would eat two "fruit meals" per
day, and would allow myself one "normal" meal -- which I initially
designated as being lunch.

Unfortunately, I soon found that society plans too many events around
"dinners" -- and I simply couldn't whip out a banana at a restaurant --
so within a few days my "normal" meal had evolved into dinner.

Thus, for breakfast, lunch, and mid-afternoon snack, I created a diet
made entirely of Golden Delicious apples, Bartlet pears, and bananas.
For dinner, I could eat anything I wanted.

Within a few days, the pounds began to shed. Happily, I was never
hungry, since I was constantly stuffing my face with jumbo apples. And
I could always look forward to a good burger, washed down with a
microbrewed beer, at the end of the day. It was the perfect diet!

Better yet, by eliminating my normal breakfast and lunch, I also
eliminated the lion's share of my salt intake. I also started running
with my son, every other day, in addition to weight training. As much
as I hate running, I soon found that carrying less weight makes running
easier -- so I don't hate it as much anymore.

So how's all this working? I just got back from the doctor, and here
is the tale of the tape:

March 22 May 3
Weight 197 185
BP 155/85 135/82

The nurses were astounded that I could lose 12 pounds in just six
weeks, and (thanks to multivitamins, the fruit, and running) be
perfectly healthy. The good doctor was amazed at a 20 point drop in
blood pressure in such a short time -- especially since it had been
rising for at least the last four years.

So, I think I've discovered the perfect diet. I'm stuffed all the
time, I'm losing weight without being hungry, my nightly indigestion
(always followed by Tums or Rolaids) is completely GONE -- and, wow, am
I regular as hell!

:-)

At this rate I should be 175 by OSH, and -- best of all -- I think this
is a diet I can stick with for the rest of my life. I highly recommend
it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 4th 05, 04:50 AM
Montblack

("W P Dixon" wrote)
And well I just know if I die first my wife is going to put my in a
plastic trash bag and chunk me in the creek to save money on the burial!!
HAHAHA She's a tightwad I tell you!

Hey, she could freeze your head, then let the kids fight over it in court -
so that plastic trash bag isn't looking too bad right about now, is it?

What's DVT?

Montblack

Old May 4th 05, 05:35 AM
W P Dixon

Heck Mont,
I don't know if we could get her to go for the frozen head thing, that
takes electricity you know!!!! May be to cheap!!! And DVT is Deep Vein
Thrombosis.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

("W P Dixon" wrote)

Old May 4th 05, 06:04 AM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:

March 22 May 3
Weight 197 185
BP 155/85 135/82

Good for you!

and, wow, am
I regular as hell!

Too much information my friend :-)
\
:-)

At this rate I should be 175 by OSH,

Did I just hear the gauntlet get thrown down? Montblack, how do you
answer? Oooohhhhh, now I'm messing! :-)

Just think Jay, less of you means more you can haul in Atlas! I mean,
sure, the plane can haul anything that fits through the doors but...it's
another way to look at the benefits of being a smaller you.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old May 4th 05, 07:05 AM
Morgans

"Montblack" wrote

Keep up the good work Jay. Hope the knees cooperate!!!

Montblack
Note to Jim in NC - don't forget the apple in the pig's mouth for OSH. g

Hee Hee!
--
Jim in NC

Old May 4th 05, 07:10 AM
Morgans

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
Great job Jay!! Hell I'm 5'10 and 195 with no BP problems but I could
lose 15 lbs myself.... I think you may be on to something here... What
do you do with all the farting that is a byproduct of the fruit!!

If it were me, I would always carry a Bic lighter, and laugh a lot! BFg
--
Jim in NC

Old May 4th 05, 10:43 AM
Cub Driver

On 3 May 2005 16:05:15 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

March 22 May 3
Weight 197 185
BP 155/85 135/82

Well done, Jay!

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old May 4th 05, 11:03 AM
Jay Somerset

Congratulations, Jay.

One other thing I found contributed significantly to high blood pressure,
and that was caffeine. Two cups of tea or coffee could spike my systolic by
a good 10 points, and diastolic by about 6-7. Are you a tea/coffee drinker?

(remove dashes for legal email address)
Old May 4th 05, 01:06 PM
Jay Honeck

So now everyone has to bring the fruit of their choice to the OSH party,
is that what you are telling us?

Heaven forbid! ;-)

However, I think I'll be skipping LaSeur's pancakes, omelet's, and
home-fried potatoes this year...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA