anyone ever met Burt Rutan?

Old May 4th 05, 11:59 PM
Ronald Gardner

I meet Burt back about '77 at the Watsonville EAA fly in. He was there with
his first Vari Eze. I talked to him for 10 or 15 minutes. Yes he was very
laid back and down to earth friendly, but you just knew this guy really knew
what he was doing and had much more potential. If I hadn't been a poor Air
Force SGT I would have bought a Vari Eze on the spot. I still want one or a
Long Eze, but the timing and money never seem to match up. That Vari Eze is
now in the Smithsonian, along with Art's Chipmunk that I also got a chance to
climb on. Man that makes you feel old!

Ron Gardner

jim wrote:

Was watching a video on the minivan that Bert designed and shot into space.
He seems like a interesting person but I can't believe he is that laided
back when designing planes and minvans that fly into outer space, is he a
dick or a cool dude?

Old May 5th 05, 12:11 AM

I attended a talk he gave at UCLA earlier this year. He seemed real nice and
had a passion for what he does. After the presentation was a reception (with
free food! we college students rejoiced.), and Burt came in to get some food
and mingle. Of course, he was instantly and constantly surrounded by
students who asked question after question. He likely wanted a chance to
snack, but happily answered everyone's questions and even posed for some
pictures. One guy came up to him and boldly asked for a job. Burt set up an
interview with him on the spot. That had to feel pretty cool!

One thing I picked up from his speech was that he wants engineers who really
love their field. He doesn't especially care how many degrees they have, he
cares that they have a passion for aerospace and can turn that into results.

And yes, as Ron pointed out, he always referred to NASA as "nay-say."

P.S. I met Melville and Binnie at an EAA 49 banquet a few months ago. Also
cool guys and quite approachable.

-Tony
Student Pilot
Aerospace Engineer Student, Cal Poly Pomona

Old May 5th 05, 12:52 AM
Al

Ron Natalie wrote:
jim wrote:

Was watching a video on the minivan that Bert designed and shot into
space. He seems like a interesting person but I can't believe he is
that laided back when designing planes and minvans that fly into outer
space, is he a dick or a cool dude?

I got to ride around on a golf cart with him when he came to Margy's
museum. He seemed pretty cool to me. Very gracious to the museum
staff and the hoards of aviation groupies that wanted to meet him.

Many years ago I was interested in one of his aircraft - I think
it was the BD-5.

I called up his organization and spent well over a half an hour
talking to a very amiable, knowledgeable and interesting guy.
It turned out to be Mr. Bert Rutan. I was astonded that he would
spend that much time. Quite a classy guy who probably ought
to guard his time a little more vigilantly.
Old May 5th 05, 04:33 AM
ORVAL FAIRBAIRN

In article ,
Al wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:
jim wrote:

Was watching a video on the minivan that Bert designed and shot into
space. He seems like a interesting person but I can't believe he is
that laided back when designing planes and minvans that fly into outer
space, is he a dick or a cool dude?

I got to ride around on a golf cart with him when he came to Margy's
museum. He seemed pretty cool to me. Very gracious to the museum
staff and the hoards of aviation groupies that wanted to meet him.

Many years ago I was interested in one of his aircraft - I think
it was the BD-5.

I called up his organization and spent well over a half an hour
talking to a very amiable, knowledgeable and interesting guy.
It turned out to be Mr. Bert Rutan. I was astonded that he would
spend that much time. Quite a classy guy who probably ought
to guard his time a little more vigilantly.

The last time I met Burt was when my nephew graduated from USAF Test
Pilot School (He got the top award, BTW), about 1992.

I ran into him at the bar in the Edwards Officer Club and offered to buy
him a drink. He asked what I was there for and I told him that my nephew
was graduating. HE bought ME the drink; I introduced him around to
everyone there that I knew.

The funny thing is that, the previous Christmas, I flew down to Mojave
to visit my nephew. He tried to pull my leg by telling me that I had
just missed Dick Rutan. Both are neat people and, yes, Burt is just as
laid back as reported.

Old May 5th 05, 04:39 AM
Dave Stadt

"Al" wrote in message
Ron Natalie wrote:
jim wrote:

Was watching a video on the minivan that Bert designed and shot into
space. He seems like a interesting person but I can't believe he is
that laided back when designing planes and minvans that fly into outer
space, is he a dick or a cool dude?

I got to ride around on a golf cart with him when he came to Margy's
museum. He seemed pretty cool to me. Very gracious to the museum
staff and the hoards of aviation groupies that wanted to meet him.

Many years ago I was interested in one of his aircraft - I think
it was the BD-5.

I called up his organization and spent well over a half an hour
talking to a very amiable, knowledgeable and interesting guy.
It turned out to be Mr. Bert Rutan. I was astonded that he would
spend that much time. Quite a classy guy who probably ought
to guard his time a little more vigilantly.

If it was a BD5 it for sure was NOT Rutan.

Old May 5th 05, 01:23 PM
Ron Natalie

Dave Stadt wrote:

If it was a BD5 it for sure was NOT Rutan.

Rutan's planes fly successfully and people who send him
money get what they pay for.
Old May 5th 05, 01:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

If it was a BD5 it for sure was NOT Rutan.

I believe Rutan worked for Bede before setting out on his own.

Old May 5th 05, 01:58 PM
Dave Stadt

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Dave Stadt wrote:

If it was a BD5 it for sure was NOT Rutan.

Rutan's planes fly successfully and people who send him
money get what they pay for.

And people are still sending him money for his next vaporplane.

Old May 5th 05, 01:59 PM
Dave Stadt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

If it was a BD5 it for sure was NOT Rutan.

I believe Rutan worked for Bede before setting out on his own.

I won't hold that against him.

Old May 5th 05, 10:12 PM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Yeah, he's showing off his better side....

Ouch! ;-)
--
Jim in NC