A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

US Sectional Charts

Old March 22nd 19, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default US Sectional Charts

On Saturday, 23 March 2019 04:35:06 UTC+13, wrote:
Is there a (free online) source for sectional charts, downloadable as an image file, that cover your choice of area boundaries, and are "seamless" across a boundary between the official FAA chart sections? My purpose is to view such an image in standard image-viewing software, on a PC (for planning) and on a smartphone (for reference during a flight).

Yes there is. The FAA are here to help you.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig..._products/vfr/

These charts are GEOTIFF format and can be used with almost any GIS software.

E.g., our soaring area is near the border between the "New York" and "Montreal" sectionals. In the past I've downloaded both of those sectionals from the FAA web site, cropped to a smallish portion of each, and "glued" together manually in image editing software, trying to line up the longitude lines. That's tedious to do precisely. Also some map features (e.g., some roads or rivers) then still have a discontinuity where they cross the boundary, even as other nearby features cross smoothly. (I have no explanation for that.)

I use QGIS (a free package) to do this. You can load multiple charts and as they are georeferenced they fit seamlessly together.

--
Philip Plane

Old March 22nd 19, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 3:36:13 PM UTC-4, 2KA wrote:
Moshe,

Just took a quick look at FltPlan Go on iPhone. Looks pretty nice, also free.

L.

Thanks. I actually have an Android phone, could use Avare. But I don't want to overload the phone with too much going on. Already burdening it with IGCdroid etc. And I use Tophat on another device to actually navigate. I would still like to find a way to stitch the sectionals as images. I find it surprising that in 2019 we still can only get the official sectionals in their old paper-oriented tiles.
Old March 22nd 19, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 3:54:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, 23 March 2019 04:35:06 UTC+13, wrote:
Is there a (free online) source for sectional charts, downloadable as an image file, that cover your choice of area boundaries, and are "seamless" across a boundary between the official FAA chart sections? My purpose is to view such an image in standard image-viewing software, on a PC (for planning) and on a smartphone (for reference during a flight).

Yes there is. The FAA are here to help you.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig..._products/vfr/

These charts are GEOTIFF format and can be used with almost any GIS software.

E.g., our soaring area is near the border between the "New York" and "Montreal" sectionals. In the past I've downloaded both of those sectionals from the FAA web site, cropped to a smallish portion of each, and "glued" together manually in image editing software, trying to line up the longitude lines. That's tedious to do precisely. Also some map features (e.g., some roads or rivers) then still have a discontinuity where they cross the boundary, even as other nearby features cross smoothly. (I have no explanation for that.)

I use QGIS (a free package) to do this. You can load multiple charts and as they are georeferenced they fit seamlessly together.

--
Philip Plane

OK, but you still need GIS software to do the stitching and re-projecting. And all I want as the final product is an image file.
Old March 22nd 19, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA
external usenet poster

I really don't think Avare will overload your phone. I use it all the time with multiple apps running without any problems. Give it a try and see. It is totally free to do so.

L.
Old March 23rd 19, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 2:58:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 3:36:13 PM UTC-4, 2KA wrote:

Thanks. I actually have an Android phone, could use Avare. But I don't want to overload the phone with too much going on. Already burdening it with IGCdroid etc. And I use Tophat on another device to actually navigate. I would still like to find a way to stitch the sectionals as images. I find it surprising that in 2019 we still can only get the official sectionals in their old paper-oriented tiles.

Take a look at Map Merge from OziExplorer.

https://www.oziexplorer4.com/w/

I believe that's exactly what you need to stich the maps. To save them in a format different from Ozi's proprietary one (e.g. TIF, JP2, PNG, JPG, ECW), you need to get the licensed version of Map Merge for $29.