NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 18th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bdl

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

Bob Noel wrote:

"So while dockers and a collared shirt may not be as regimented as a
uniform its still better in my opinion than a cavalier, anything goes
attitude."

I stand by that statement. I thought you were talking about the tie
comment.

Old September 18th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bdl

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"bdl" wrote in message

Absurd. If FAA management wasn't making an issue of it there'd be nothing
to report.

If NATCA weren't making an issue of it there'd be nothing to report.

Old September 18th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"bdl" wrote in message
oups.com...

If NATCA weren't making an issue of it there'd be nothing to report.

That's not the way it works, this isn't a chicken and egg issue. If FAA
management wasn't making an issue of it there'd have been nothing for NATCA
to respond to and thus nothing to report.

Old September 19th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:44:37 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Well, I believe Boeing and LocMart have already developed (and
deployed) modern ATC systems (probably superior to the existing FAA
stuff), so modernization could be much more rapid than if the FAA
developed and implemented something similar.

What does Boeing or LocMart have that is better or more modern than
STARS (which is being deployed now)?

Bob, I don't have a specific answer to your question, as I don't claim
to be familiar with STARS nor Boeing/LocMart ATC systems.

So why do you believe that Boeing and Locmart have already developed
more modern ATC systems than the FAA has?

I recalled having read that Boeing was proposing ATC management to
Britain a few years ago, and figured they had a product to market. It
would seem, that perhaps they were looking for someone to fund
development. But if not Boeing, which companies are contracting ATC
services to Oz, GB, Canada, ...?

Is STARS space-based?

No.

Somehow it seems apparent to me, that ATC of the future will employ
satellite based communications and observation equipment in addition
to the current terrestrial systems. It just seems a natural, with the
exception of solar ejections.

STARS uses multiple radar feeds (the typical traditional long-range and
terminal radars that we all know and love). It can be upgraded with other
sensor feeds as they become available.

What is the current attitude of controllers toward STARS? I haven't
heard of any more problems like those that occurred during its initial
deployment.
Old September 22nd 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bdl

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"bdl" wrote in message
oups.com...

If NATCA weren't making an issue of it there'd be nothing to report.

That's not the way it works, this isn't a chicken and egg issue. If FAA
management wasn't making an issue of it there'd have been nothing for NATCA
to respond to and thus nothing to report

It takes two to tango.

But whatever. I now join the rest of those that have debated with you
Steven. Too tired to care what you think.