Narco Mk 12D display?

Old December 26th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
jim

Default Narco Mk 12D display?

Anyone have a source for parts (namely, the display) for a Mk 12D
rather than having the factory do it? They won't sell the part
seperatly.

Jim

Old December 27th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

jim wrote:

Anyone have a source for parts (namely, the display) for a Mk 12D
rather than having the factory do it? They won't sell the part
seperatly.

Jim

I had mine replaced at "Sky Ranch" (SQI, Whiteside County,
Illinois)about 8 years ago. Cost $200 then. I'm not sure if they are
still in business. No, they won't sell the part. But, if you ship it to
Narco, they will replace it for a couple bucks more than the part price.
Lessee, after 8 years, it should only cost around $900...

Good Luck,
Mike
Old December 27th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gus Cabre

Looking for parts last night, I came across their website:
http://www.sacskyranch.com/.

Gus

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old December 28th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Looking for parts last night, I came across their website:
http://www.sacskyranch.com/.

Gus

Completely different place. Mine is (was) in North-Central Illinois.

I believe they are history.
Mike
Old December 31st 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Al[_2_]

jim wrote:
Anyone have a source for parts (namely, the display) for a Mk 12D
rather than having the factory do it? They won't sell the part
seperatly.

Jim

I had our display replaced by our Avionics shop a couple of years ago.
Narco shipped the part to him. This was reinforced by the Narco rep I
talked to at AOPA.

Al
1964 Skyhawk
SFF
Old January 1st 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Al wrote:
jim wrote:
Anyone have a source for parts (namely, the display) for a Mk 12D
rather than having the factory do it? They won't sell the part
seperatly.

Jim

I had our display replaced by our Avionics shop a couple of years ago.
Narco shipped the part to him. This was reinforced by the Narco rep I
talked to at AOPA.

Al
1964 Skyhawk
SFF

Same here. We've had several of these displays replaced, at a parts
cost of well over $300 per unit. We don't buy Narco radios anymore,
having spent much more than the original purchase cost on them to keep
them going.

Dan

Old January 2nd 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron

I had the display replaced a couple of years ago after a couple of segments
"burnt out". Had to be shipped to Australia with special packaging, due to
the minute radioactive material in the display. Cost about $800 AU.

I now hold my finger of the LCD so the display does not flash brightly when
the unit is turned on.

regards
Ron

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 3rd 07, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:12:34 +1100, "Ron"
wrote:

I had the display replaced a couple of years ago after a couple of segments
"burnt out". Had to be shipped to Australia with special packaging, due to
the minute radioactive material in the display. Cost about $800 AU.

I now hold my finger of the LCD so the display does not flash brightly when
the unit is turned on.

regards
Ron

Can you clarify what you mean re. finger. we have just replaced a
display in one of our sets!

In the past the Tx audio failed on 2xCOM and needed a zener diode
replacing. The IDME has had an intermittent DME reading from new on
low frequencies (used by ILS).

Such a shame they are unreliable as they are easy to use and offer
some nice frills.

David
Old January 4th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron

My apologises, I cover the LDR (The intensity control) with my finger to
reduce the initial intensity of the display on power on.

Otherwise a nice set. However it resets the standby frequency to 121.9 MHz
on power on.
--

regards
Ron

Old January 4th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:00:00 +1100, "Ron"
wrote:

My apologises, I cover the LDR (The intensity control) with my finger to
reduce the initial intensity of the display on power on.

Otherwise a nice set. However it resets the standby frequency to 121.9 MHz
on power on.

Thanks, I wondered if that's what you meant.
I discovered that covering the LDR during the day caused the display
to vanish completely when we had a fault:-(
Fortunately for my night flight I still had COM2.

Have you checked the Operating Manual? The standby frequency is
supposed to reset to 121.9 when you switch Off then On. You can then
count the MHz and KHz by counting the detents as you rotate the
control. If you don't loose count then you can set any frequency (NAV
or COM) with a loss of display display. The NAV standby frequency
resets to 110.50 when powered Off then On.

David