Changed the oil today...

Old January 5th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Changed the oil today...

: Where I live, service stations, car dealerships, Wal-Marts, any store
: that sells oil or performs oil changes is required to receive used oil
: for recycling. I'm guessing this varies by state so I don't know what
: options exist where you are, but I'm guessing there are options.

I've heard that one shouldn't dump used aviation oil at these locatations
because they cannot deal with the lead.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Old January 5th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim[_11_]

I also enjoy changing the oil in our Aztec. I've got the process down so I
can do it in an hour, start to finish. I get a good chance to look
everything over while the oil drains. I use two of those flat suitcase type
drain oil containers with the detachable funnel. When I'm done, I simply
put them in the back of my pickup and take them to work with me the next
morning. The longest time is actually spent pouring the new oil into the
engines.
Jim

Old January 5th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
M[_1_]

David Lesher wrote:

So does burning AvGas......

True. However because lead is heavy, it tends to contaminate the
surroundings soil of used oil burning furnace.

Most of the lead from burning AvGas is spread around a wide area from
high altitude and the resulting contamination level is much lower.

Old January 5th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

I also help taking the cowls off (top and bottom), and at the same time look
for loose wires, cables, leaks, etc, since I have to fly to the mechanic,
which also warms up the oil.

Part of it is that I have more confidence taking things apart than putting
them back together correctly. (My mechanical Nikon's light meter broke once,
so I took it apart to look and see inside. There are a lot of small parts
inside a camera. I brought it to the repair guy and said I had done half of
his job for him, but that I only had four screws left over at the end)

The same approach on a plane might have a little different outcome, so I'm a
little hesitant to start taking things apart, even though the oil change,
plugs, etc are pretty simple jobs.

Old January 5th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_3_]

Hehe... no danger Al!

But it is "supposed" to be -3 C - -10 C here now..

So U can appreciate the mild euphoria...

I can still see my lawn, - gotta start the snow blower this weekend to
make sure it still works..

This cannot last tho, (but it did last year, so who knows..

Predicting 13 C tomorrow...

Dave

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 04:46:18 GMT, A Lieberma
wrote:

Dave wrote in
:

Sat here forcast to be 12 C deg..

No forcast daytime temps below 0 C until Jan 10...

HAW!

Dave (in New Brunswick,Canada)

Not to make you jealous or anything, but I am planning to fly in forecasted
IMC conditions, ceilings forecasted to be 300 feet, to knock out some
approaches tomorrow morning (Friday at 16Z), no icing risks, the
thunderstorms will have past by here at KMBO (Madison MS) in a couple of
hours (about 6Z), and the temp at altitude will be a chilly 55 degrees.

Downstairs when I tie down, well 70F should fit the bill.

Life is good, life is good!!!!

Allen

Old January 6th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma

Dave wrote in
:

Hehe... no danger Al!

But it is "supposed" to be -3 C - -10 C here now..

So U can appreciate the mild euphoria...

I can still see my lawn, - gotta start the snow blower this weekend to
make sure it still works..

This cannot last tho, (but it did last year, so who knows..

Predicting 13 C tomorrow...

Dave

I sure can, having moved from Ohio :-)

Though, flying in January in shorts and no jacket, just ain't "right".

Been down here 6 years and still can't get used to these mild winters.

Got my approaches in, though ceilings turned out to be 700. Still a good
excercise considering light turbulence was thrown in the mix of IMC.

Allen
Old January 6th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:37:52 GMT, "Steve Foley"
wrote:

My FBO heats his hangar with it.

Same here.
I think the local FBO would like to have about another 100 to 200
gallons of the stuff per month. He mixes it with fuel oil and heats
the big hangar. He'll take all the oil we are willing to give.
There's a lot of BTWs in that stuff.

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
.net...
Jay: What do you do with the used oil? Our FBO wouldn't take it because
they were concerned it might somehow be contaminated. Rather than
accumulate a drum of waste oil that I would need to get a hazmat permit to
get rid of, I have the mechanic do it.

JN

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old January 6th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 02:03:30 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Viperdoc wrote:
I was tempted to drive down some remote road and dribble it out the back,
but felt there had to be a better disposal solution for used oil.

Not too many years ago the county used to encourage us to do that. Of
course they didn't have to put so much brine on the roads then.
Bout twice a summer the county would spray the gravel roads with
brine.

Where I live, service stations, car dealerships, Wal-Marts, any store
that sells oil or performs oil changes is required to receive used oil
for recycling. I'm guessing this varies by state so I don't know what
options exist where you are, but I'm guessing there are options.

I don't know if it's required in Michigan, but most of those places
will take your old oil no questions.

Matt