Lumbar support ideas?

Old June 16th 11, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Lumbar support ideas?

All -

For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). I'm beginning
to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
(DG-300). Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... Its
getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
33)!

So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
base of my spine. I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
shape.

Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). Tips or ideas would
be greatly appreciated!

--Noel

Old June 16th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Jun 16, 10:51*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

Several have used relatively low-cost blood pressure cuffs. Adjustable
in flight!
Old June 16th 11, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stephanevdv

How about trying a back protector as used by skiers, snowboarders,
motorbikers?
Old June 16th 11, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 16, 1:51*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

When you are flying, likely you feel some strain if the seating is the
issue.
I use a pad made from conforfoam that is about 1 inch thick and 6
inches "tall" witha second layer about 3 inches tall.
I position it right in the lumbar area of my back between my back and
the chute. It gives good support bt won't collapse in a hard impact. A
simple cover and some Velcro can make it more convenient.
I can get in the glider with a slightly sore back and feel better when
I get out 3 or 4 hours later.
You might want to experiment with a simple pad made from a rolled up
towel to get a sense of what size and shape you need.
Good Luck
UH

Old June 16th 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I agree with the suggestion below about CONFOR foam and a cushion for lower
back support. One cool thing about it is that you can cut it with a sharp
knife or even scissors and you can shape it with sanding paper (especially
when it is cold and hard) - so you can make a nice, smooth cushion of
varying thickness.

I sell it in several sizes and hardnesses he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/e-a-r.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old June 16th 11, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Jardini

you can find memory foam lumbar supports directed at office workers on
line at reasonable prices.

I have a similar to DG cockpit, (Apis), and that settled all my back
issues for long flights.

mj
Old June 17th 11, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

I agree with the suggestion below about CONFOR foam and a cushion for lower
back support. *One cool thing about it is that you can cut it with a sharp
knife or even scissors and you can shape it with sanding paper (especially
when it is cold and hard) - so you can make a nice, smooth cushion of
varying thickness.

The weapon of choice for foam sculpting is an electric kitchen knife,
usually available for less than a buck at your local thrift shop...

-p

Old June 17th 11, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

I also have back issues from time to time. For me they are triggered
during rigging. I need a self rigger I guess.

I assume you wear a parachute. The trick is to get some lumbar
support between the chute and you. It doesn't do much good between
the chute and the glider.

After buying a used Strong parachute model 305, I sent it to the
factory for an inspection and repack. During that work, Strong
retrofitted a lumbar support cushion into my parachute harness. Very
nice and has made flying much more comfortable. I don't know if this
is available separately nor if it will help you. The support is
mentioned on this page but I don't see any details.
http://www.strongparachutes.com/page...5_Airplane.php.

Basically, the Strong item looks very much like this =
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/seat...rt-cushion.cfm.
$30 with memory foam. You may want to try an auto parts store or
Walmart to find something like this and see if that helps. The Strong
item has a strap meant to hold it in place on the chute which you
might have to retrofit.

Good luck.

- John DeRosa
Old June 17th 11, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Nau

If you have a good rigger, he can pack your 'chute to give you the
proper lumbar support. Mine does it for me.

Tom
Old June 17th 11, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juanman

I fly with an inflatable back cushion. What's nice about it is that
you can inflate it to different sizes and thus vary the pressure on
your lower back. I do have to remember when getting into the cockpit
to have the bulb handy and not underneath...

Juan

Basically, the Strong item looks very much like this =http://www.autosportcatalog.com/seat...r-support/auto....
$30 with memory foam. * *You may want to try an auto parts store or
Walmart to find something like this and see if that helps. *The Strong
item has a strap meant to hold it in place on the chute which you
might have to retrofit.

Good luck.

- John DeRosa

No money to fly. Any Ideas? bigcal9 General Aviation 3 January 5th 11 01:58 PM
Bushite soldiers beat to death innocent Children to 'let offsteam' - Support Our Demands For Open Communications - Unraveling the Mystery- you can not find a single soldier on Earth to publicly support GeorgeW Bush without immediately being re Tiger Naval Aviation 0 April 10th 08 01:20 AM
pc ideas? derFlieger Simulators 3 May 5th 05 11:26 PM
GPS Ideas RD Piloting 24 December 12th 03 11:53 AM
flight sim Ideas Steve Simulators 0 July 13th 03 08:56 AM