Garmin GNC 250XL

Old November 10th 04, 02:52 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Garmin GNC 250XL

Anyone got one of these units?

http://www.garmin.com/products/gnc250xl/

It seems to combine two very useful things (a VFR moving map GPS and a Com
radio) into one compact unit.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 04, 02:59 PM
Jay Honeck

http://www.garmin.com/products/gnc250xl/

As a follow-up, can anyone figure out why the GNC 300XL (the IFR-certified
version of this unit) is actually available for LESS money on Ebay and other
sources?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 04, 03:04 PM
Javier Henderson

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Anyone got one of these units?

http://www.garmin.com/products/gnc250xl/

It seems to combine two very useful things (a VFR moving map GPS and a Com
radio) into one compact unit.

A friend of mine has one in his homebuilt (a Kitfox). Works great.

-jav
Old November 10th 04, 03:04 PM
Hankal

It seems to combine two very useful things (a VFR moving map GPS and a Com
radio) into one compact unit.

Jay
You are not about to ditch your AvMap?
I am thinking about putting a GNS480 into my 172 Cessna.
Will keep the AvMap as backup.
Hank
Old November 10th 04, 03:29 PM
Jay Honeck

You are not about to ditch your AvMap?

Ditch the Avmap? Heck, no!

The panel mount Garmin's display and functionality is so vastly inferior to
the AvMap, that I would certainly look at *it* as the back-up unit -- not
the other way around.

However, I've got an old Narco 120 Com that works fine but is getting pretty
"long-in-the-tooth". I've also got an old Narco DME that works perfectly,
but is utterly useless to me.

I'd like to yank both those units, save about ten pounds, sell them on Ebay,
and replace them with a new Garmin GPS/Com combo. I think that would be a
great upgrade -- but I'd like to hear from folks who have one before making
the leap!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 04, 03:44 PM
Brian Sponcil

It may have something to do with the installation costs. If you're going to
install the 300XL as an IFR unit you'll need a CDI and an annunciator - not
cheap. I *THINK* that you can probably install it as a VFR only unit which
would seemingly make it a better deal than the 250XL.

Just my $.02

-Brian
N33431
Iowa City, IA

Old November 10th 04, 03:50 PM
Michael 182

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I'd like to yank both those units, save about ten pounds, sell them on
Ebay, and replace them with a new Garmin GPS/Com combo. I think that
would be a great upgrade -- but I'd like to hear from folks who have one
before making the leap!

I used to have one in a previous plane. Worked great. In addition, it can be
IFR certified, in case you decide to go that way. Can't remember the
subscription price, which in any case, has probably gone down since you can
probably renew through the Internet rather then sending data cards bck and
forth. In fact, I don't even remember if it used data cards, although I
assume it did...

Michael

Old November 10th 04, 04:04 PM
Dude

I have one, and its okay for most uses.

I don't really like the map mode that much, but since I use it as a back up
that is okay. Also, sunlight readability is limited. I mostly use it like
an ADF or DME as a backup to my 430.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have gone for a 420 or second 430
and damn the costs. Having now flown with two 400 series slaved together, I
really think the ease and SA are worth the money.

Old November 10th 04, 04:50 PM
Louis L. Perley III

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

However, I've got an old Narco 120 Com that works fine but is getting

pretty
"long-in-the-tooth". I've also got an old Narco DME that works perfectly,
but is utterly useless to me.

I'd like to yank both those units, save about ten pounds, sell them on

Ebay,
and replace them with a new Garmin GPS/Com combo. I think that would be a
great upgrade -- but I'd like to hear from folks who have one before

making
the leap!

I do believe if you wanted to use the GPS as a DME, you'll need to have the
300XL installed IFR (which would mean you'd need to replace/add a CDI, etc.
as well as the requisite paperwork). I've thought about replacing one of my
old RT-385 Nav/Coms in the C152 for the same reasons you state in your
original post, but the cost of doing the IFR install have held me off from
doing it so far. I figure if I'm going to install a 300XL I should probably
go for the IFR cert, otherwise it's just better to go get a Garmin 296 and
buy one of those MX slide in replacement comms and still have three grand in
my pocket. I was told between the radio and install I was looking at $6,000
or so. At that point I figured why not go for the extra and get a 430, etc.
Just like anything else in aviation, there is always something better for
just a little bit more. I have been told that if you install a Garmin 430,
it is legal to install without the CDI because of the way it was approved
(at least you don't need the CDI for GPS use). I've never seen one that way,
they all have the CDI, but I think that's if you want to use the NAV
abilities for VORs, ILSes, etc. I might be able to get away with the 430
since I have ILS on my primary navcomm.

--
Louis L. Perley III
N46000 - C152

Old November 10th 04, 05:34 PM
Marco Leon

I agree with Dude. If you spring for the extra couple of thousand for a
Garmin GNS 430, you have ILS, NAV, Comm, IFR GPS, and legal replacement for
ADF and DME in most applications. Also, you have the option of upgrading to
WAAS next year if you get your instrument rating. I predict the 430 will be
supported for a much longer time than the GNC series. Also, the resale value
will be upgraded significantly.

Jay, if you wind up getting an instrument rating and the FAA happens to
certify an LPV for your airport, you'll be kicking yourself in the butt for
not spending the extra $$.

GO FOR IT! I did it and would do it again in a heartbeat. Atlas deserves it.

Marco Leon
N36616 (Lowly Warrior with a 430) :-D