A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Schweizer 1-26 question

Old March 29th 13, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Schweizer 1-26 question

Back in the early 1960s my Dad attended the Schweizer Soaring School in Elmira, NY earning his glider rating as well as his A and B Badges. We were on our family vacation and I was just a tike but remember the field being busy with gliders coming and going. What made this especially fun was that there was this one fiery friendly candy machine that was more than happy to dispense Chuckles (one of my favorite candies) whether you fed it any money or not. dad was happy flying the gliders wholes I was getting fat and happy on the Chuckles.

Anyway, while grounded I've been spending an inordinate amount of time searching the web for pictures and videos on gliders. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who thinks that a 1-26 with just the right paint job is an absolutely beautiful looking little sailplane? I keep thinking that maybe I'd like to have one of those things! What do you guys think? Can a guy have fun with a simple sailplane like the 1-26 or do you have to buy glass to really enjoy the sport?

Thank you for your input!

Brian Lott
Old March 29th 13, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 29, 2013 1:40:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Back in the early 1960s my Dad attended the Schweizer Soaring School in Elmira, NY earning his glider rating as well as his A and B Badges. We were on our family vacation and I was just a tike but remember the field being busy with gliders coming and going. What made this especially fun was that there was this one fiery friendly candy machine that was more than happy to dispense Chuckles (one of my favorite candies) whether you fed it any money or not. dad was happy flying the gliders wholes I was getting fat and happy on the Chuckles.

Anyway, while grounded I've been spending an inordinate amount of time searching the web for pictures and videos on gliders. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who thinks that a 1-26 with just the right paint job is an absolutely beautiful looking little sailplane? I keep thinking that maybe I'd like to have one of those things! What do you guys think? Can a guy have fun with a simple sailplane like the 1-26 or do you have to buy glass to really enjoy the sport?

Brian Lott

Brian,

Click on some of these traces (particularly Ron Schwartz):
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...&sc= &sp=2013
and you'll see that a 1-26 can be an absolute blast!

-John, Q3
Old March 29th 13, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp
external usenet poster

Thanks for the story.

I fly for a living so I get a few more hours airborne than most. I started soaring in the last few years and have become completely addicted to the sport. The addiction in part comes from the "pure flight" element for me. Getting back to stick and ruder flying and feeling at one nature which provides the challenges of soaring. I think owning and flying a 1-26 would provide endless fun and adventure. I think the limited performance of the 1-26 would make acquiring badges and records much more challenging and meaningful. And yes the various paint jobs brings out the personalities in each 1-26. They are a total blast to fly.
Old March 29th 13, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 29, 2013 1:40:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Back in the early 1960s my Dad attended the Schweizer Soaring School in Elmira, NY earning his glider rating as well as his A and B Badges. We were on our family vacation and I was just a tike but remember the field being busy with gliders coming and going. What made this especially fun was that there was this one fiery friendly candy machine that was more than happy to dispense Chuckles (one of my favorite candies) whether you fed it any money or not. dad was happy flying the gliders wholes I was getting fat and happy on the Chuckles. Anyway, while grounded I've been spending an inordinate amount of time searching the web for pictures and videos on gliders. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who thinks that a 1-26 with just the right paint job is an absolutely beautiful looking little sailplane? I keep thinking that maybe I'd like to have one of those things! What do you guys think? Can a guy have fun with a simple sailplane like the 1-26 or do you have to buy glass to really enjoy the sport? Thank you for your input! Brian Lott

1-26's remain a very good way to have a lot of safe, challanging fun on a small budget.
AND- you get to have them in cool colors.
UH
Old March 29th 13, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 29, 2013 12:40:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Get a 1-26 and fit it with a sport canopy (open cockpit)for more fun flying in the summer

Brian Lott

Old March 29th 13, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

These are all great responses so far! Paul Leal and Gus Johnson each posted 500+ KM flights in 1-26s. Ron Scwhartz is knocking off 200+ KM flights with 5 to 6 hour durations like there is nothing to it. All very, very impressive for a sailplane that has supposedly limited performance capabilities.

I fly / soar primarily for fun. Maybe simpler and more affordable is a better way for me to go.
Old March 29th 13, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Great thing about the sport of soaring is the enjoyment of it is whatever you want it to be. Top dollar high tech fiberglass or aluminum and cloth wings, fly safe and have fun.
Old March 29th 13, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Great thing about the sport of soaring is the enjoyment of it is whatever you want it to be. Top dollar high tech fiberglass or aluminum and cloth wings, fly safe and have fun.
Old March 30th 13, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW
external usenet poster

On 3/29/2013 5:45 PM, wrote:
Great thing about the sport of soaring is the enjoyment of it is whatever
you want it to be. Top dollar high tech fiberglass or aluminum and cloth
wings, fly safe and have fun.

"What rstutzmann said."

Way back when, there I wuz soaring a 1-26, learning how to go XC. Made my
first land-out (in a 1-26, of course) in MD...about 2 air miles from the
airport. Made my next 3 (in a different 1-26) in UT. UT land out #1 was ~4 air
miles from the T.O. field; UT #2 was ~1 air mile from the T.O. field; UT #3
was ~48 air miles from my T.O. airport. Musta been learning SOMEthing (other
than how to pick good landing fields, I mean!)...

One of the things I thought I'd learned in UT - which has a fair amount of
tiger country, even for a short-field-lander such as a 1-26 - was I might be
able to learn XC faster - or at least do more of it - with a flatter gliding
1-26. That was because a lot of UT/inter-mountain-Rockies lift tends to
develop along mountain range spines, and reaching it was - on some days, for
me, with my skills then - effectively impossible without taking risks I was
unwilling to take. IOW, longer legs would've definitely assisted nurturing my
nascent XC skills in that part of the world, IF longer legs could be obtained
without giving up the (postage-stamp-sized) field choices available to 1-26s.

And that's how I ended up becoming a fan of large-deflection landing flaps.
Had I been soaring in (say) the midwest, I may have never felt the need for a
flatter gliding 1-26, since sheer distance covered is all in one's head.

My 48-mile landout occurred after 2+ hours atop the same field, after a
tailwind became a headwind, I wouldn't accept the "all or nothing" risk of
stretching for the lift atop the spine of mountains just to my east, and so -
once my crew was reasonably close & because we had several more hours of
driving to do to get to work the next day - I landed after countless "sawtooth
climbs" reaching for the next field ahead in "my" valley. All I wanted to do
was to be able to GET to the next field. That day, every glide after my climbs
put me back in the pattern for the field I landed on. Great fun...but
simultaneously frustrating. My conclusion was a flatter gliding 1-26 would
likely reduce future frustrational situations, for me, in that part of the world.

In any event, if you're having fun, you're having fun!!!

Bob W.
Old March 30th 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 29, 2013 8:36:41 PM UTC-4, BobW wrote:
My conclusion was a flatter gliding 1-26 would
likely reduce future frustrational situations, for me, in that part of the world.

That would be a SGS 1-36?

I went through my 1-26 phase of about 25 flights. I look forward to flying one again on a boomer day when there are minimal winds aloft.

It has been a privilege to fly a beautifully restored 1-26e and I thank the dedicated people that keep these gliders in the air. They are wonderfully simple machines and the experience of flying a bit of history is valuable.

On the other hand, the 1-26 quickly sorts out the great pilots who fly badges in them, from the mediocre pilots like me who end up paying for multiple tows to justify a single drive to the airport. Flying a 1-26 when there are strong winds aloft and strong sink is dismal and disheartening.