Santa Barbara Soaring Thanksgiving Dinner

Old November 18th 16, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Santa Barbara Soaring

Default Santa Barbara Soaring Thanksgiving Dinner

GREETINGS!!!!

Santa Barbara Soaring is pleased to announce their celebration of three years in operation, and an invitation to the public to come fly with us at the Santa Ynez Airport over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
Â*
Towing service will be available on Friday through Sunday (25-27 Nov). This is a seasonally good period for soaring weather, with cold fronts bringing ridge, wave and thermal soaring to our picturesque valley. The lastÂ*few year's events have seen good soaring enjoyed by about thirty pilots over three days.Â*Â*
Â*Â*
The surrounding communities offer alternate recreation for pilots and family members, with shopping available in Solvang for arts, antiques, crafts, and wine tasting. Â*There are several wineries in the Santa Ynez Valley and cultural events appealing to all tastes. Â*Biking, hiking, orÂ*just relaxingÂ*in the myriad hotels and the variety of restaurants can fit any budget for a short getaway. Â*This is a chance to get away from televised sports and embedded relatives, and bring the 'other-half' along for a socially-rewarding soaring weekend.
Â*
But, make your plans NOW as this is a tourist destination and last minute plans may leave you camping on the airport (which is available for those who so desire).
Â*
SBS will be cooking their traditional tri-tip barbeque for Saturday evening at Denny Bollay's house. Â*It's a pot-luck for all the other dishes, so please bring some salad,Â*garlic bread,Â*baked beans or veggies. Â*Or a dessert if that's your druthers. Â*RSVP please to Â*

Â*Â*
Santa Barbara Soaring would like to thank the Southern California soaring community for supporting us in our first three years of flying. Â*Please come help us celebrate!

Thanks,
Bill Vrastil (Owner)

Denny Bollay's Address:

Sleepy Willow Farm
162 White Oak Road
Santa Ynez, CA 93460
Old November 20th 16, 11:20 PM
JJJ JJJ is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Barbara Soaring View Post
GREETINGS!!!!

Santa Barbara Soaring is pleased to announce their celebration of three years in operation, and an invitation to the public to come fly with us at the Santa Ynez Airport over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

[ . . . ]
Will there be anything particularly interesting for a newish pre-solo student to do there?
Old November 22nd 16, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

\

--
JJJ

You can certainly schedule some training time at a new site, with a different instructor, in our venerable and non-threatening 2-33. It is a chance to soar over the Pacific, not available in too many places, and take some great scenic photos. Watch all sorts of cute GA planes come and go.

Send me direct email to schedule training time.

Oh - and you can meet some nice soaring folks, ogle the pretty privately owned gliders, take a pal/friend off to a winery in the valley, shop for Christmas chatcsky in Solvang, take home a Big Box of tasty pastry.... bring a bicycle and investigate the countryside.

But nah, not much to do here.
This has got to be one of the most scenic glider locations around the country. IT is beginning to green up with our fall flush of growth, with the last two weeks of blessed rainfall.

I hope we can make you welcome.

Cindy Brickner
CFI-G for SBS

Old November 28th 16, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

But nah, not much to do here.
This has got to be one of the most scenic glider locations around the country. IT is beginning to green up with our fall flush of growth, with the last two weeks of blessed rainfall.

I hope we can make you welcome.

Cindy Brickner
CFI-G for SBS

Well - ya'all missed some good SoCal soaring this weekend.

Friday was sunshine and wave. Half a dozen folks at least zoomed around (a few said hello to the 2-32 flying the rides) to their hearts content.
I saw photos of a crew-human on the loose in Solvang; due to soarability-- their services were at low demand after launch.

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=5478048
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=5477606
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=5477602

Saturday -- if you were tough and determined, you could've followed TG out in the eaaarly wave, and gone downwind on wave bounces into the San Joaquin.. (I've enjoyed that Cuyama wave several times, Ramy. )
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=5478500

But if flying didn't do it for you, the homebrew from Citron hops was Very Nice in the evening. The gathering at Denny & Tammy's home was well attended, frivolous and celebrated friendships both long and short. Guitar music, holiday and folk songs broke out awhile in the patio. What a lovely setting.

We missed 4U and Melinda due to heavy traffic Sat, but at dinner enjoyed P7, Rocky the Flying Squirrel, 55, memories of 75, ON and crew, 3U, TG, Luke, Bob Perry & wife, Dennis G & daughter Ja???, Bud R & wife, Kempton and family, Denny & Tammy, Terry H and Jane, Shy Bourgouis, Don Strathern, Teri Holt, Kenzi Holt, Wade the new launch crew, Cindy B & Rich F, Brian Smith & Melissa, Morgan & Julie, Bill Vrastil. There was a subset that devolved to movie DVDs while we told soaring stories. Those names I mostly missed.

Sunday was damp early, and sparkling midday. But the flock had already dispersed to try to beat the travel headaches going 'home'.
(Isn't home at the gliderport? Guess I'm confused.)

Thank you all for joining the fun of a flying weekend. Maybe next year we can convince the rain to wait till late Sunday afternoon. Or maybe we will petition the Water Board to pay us to schedule a soaring event . . . since they are drought-busters, for sure.

We took home apple strudel and smiles.

Merry Christmas to all,
Cindy B

Santa Barbara Soaring Thanksgiving Fest CindyB[_2_] Soaring 1 October 21st 15 08:21 PM
Happy Thanksgiving from Santa Barbara Soaring CindyB[_2_] Soaring 3 November 27th 14 11:32 AM
Santa Ynez Thanksgiving Weekend dforrest Soaring 2 November 21st 07 02:26 AM
Santa Barbara xxx Piloting 2 December 20th 06 03:42 PM
Santa Barbara Airport Sculpture Fish Soaring 3 October 27th 06 12:23 AM