Stop me, before I do something crazy...

Old June 7th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

Default Stop me, before I do something crazy...

"Matt Whiting" wrote:

I never had to bet my life on trigonometry, but it's pretty complex and I
mastered it in a lot fewer than 100 hours.

Trigonometry is complex? Really??

Well, for *me* it was.

But then, I have to look myself up in the phone book to find my way home every
day.

--
Dan
? at BFM

Old June 7th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Luke Skywalker" wrote:
about two years ago I gave a pilot a BFR and an insurance renewal
checkout in his Saratoga. He was a fairly "active" (180 hours in the
last year) pilot including some reasonable instrument time. I asked
him "Had any concerns" and he self confessed that he had "almost"
landed gear up at least four times in the last six months.

!!!!!

Jeez!

In 7 years and 900+ hours of flying a retract, I never came close once.

It didnt take "to long" flying with him to see why. We did six
different approaches and EACH time with no real variation in traffic
he put the gear down at a "different time" in the approach. Sometimes
downwind, sometimes final, in the two instrument approaches, it was
never the same place.

When we met for our next session...I took him to the parking lot of
the local walmart which is on the approach path to a busy metropolitan
airport. We did nothing for 20 minutes but sit and watch the
jetliners approach. his task was to figure out what was the same with
all of them. The answer is that they all put the gear down at the
walmart, and all the 737's went to gear down and flaps 15 right around
the Walmart.

The concept of putting the gear down at the same place at the same
time, had never really been taught to this guy, indeed the concept of
"everything is the same on every landing" was a kind of foreign
concept.

Look at every gear up landing (absent mechanical problems) and I will
show you a pilot whose methodology and procedure skills are non
existant.

If you dont have those and one flies a complex airplane...one is an
accident waiting to happen.

No argument there. You're preaching to the choir.

--
Dan
? at BFM

Old June 7th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Luke Skywalker wrote:
On Jun 6, 10:56 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Luke Skywalker" wrote:
a 100 hours a year..my question to someone who tells me this is there
anything else in the "complex" category that one does for 2 hours a
week and stays proficient enough to bet their life on it...?

I never had to bet my life on trigonometry, but it's pretty complex and I
mastered it in a lot fewer than 100 hours.

--
Dan

"How can an idiot be a policeman? Answer me that!"
-Chief Inspector Dreyfus

Hello:

I found trig and Calculas (at least basic calculas) not that all
complex.

Is that anything like calculus? :-)

I found geometry the most difficult. Too much raw memorization and
proofs just aren't my idea of a good time.

It didnt take "to long" flying with him to see why. We did six
different approaches and EACH time with no real variation in traffic
he put the gear down at a "different time" in the approach. Sometimes
downwind, sometimes final, in the two instrument approaches, it was
never the same place.

Sounds like he didn't use checklists either as that should include gear
down. If he wasn't using checklists consistently, then putting down the
landing gear was only one of his problems!

Matt
Old June 7th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Dan Luke wrote:
"Luke Skywalker" wrote:
about two years ago I gave a pilot a BFR and an insurance renewal
checkout in his Saratoga. He was a fairly "active" (180 hours in the
last year) pilot including some reasonable instrument time. I asked
him "Had any concerns" and he self confessed that he had "almost"
landed gear up at least four times in the last six months.

!!!!!

Jeez!

In 7 years and 900+ hours of flying a retract, I never came close once.

It is good that you just sold your airplane as making this statement
almost guarantees a gear incident! :-)

Matt
Old June 7th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Matt Whiting" wrote:

In 7 years and 900+ hours of flying a retract, I never came close once.

It is good that you just sold your airplane as making this statement almost
guarantees a gear incident! :-)

You got that right.

I'm not superstitious, but...

--
Dan
? at BFM

Next stop Osh? Flyingmonk Piloting 1 September 13th 06 04:14 AM
This guy is a crazy C.D.Damron Home Built 3 December 5th 05 05:42 AM
First Stop Syria, Next Stop Iran [email protected] Naval Aviation 6 July 22nd 05 09:58 PM
Stop the noise airads Aerobatics 131 July 2nd 04 01:28 PM
Stop the noise airads General Aviation 88 July 2nd 04 01:28 PM