sunlight readable iphone

Old September 14th 17, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default sunlight readable iphone

Does anyone have any data on whether the iPhone X OLED screen will be more sunlight readable than previous iPhones? The brightness spec looks the same (625cd/m2), but I see no data on the screen reflectance.
Old September 15th 17, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 2:26:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Does anyone have any data on whether the iPhone X OLED screen will be more sunlight readable than previous iPhones? The brightness spec looks the same (625cd/m2), but I see no data on the screen reflectance.

We'll have to wait and see. The Samsung 8 which uses the same display technology and also has about the same specs, was tested by Display Mate to have a peak brightness of 1000 Nits when left on auto brightness. The OLED technology uses more power the brighter you set it, so Samsung (and probably Apple) will not allow you to manually set it that high for battery life reasons, but it may go that high when in viewed in high ambient light.

The biggest problem I have with the iPhone LCD displays isn't reflectance, it is when looking towards the sun. You iris closes down to accommodate, and the display looks dark. Looking away from the sun I find the iPhone 6 Plus to be as readable as an Oudie2 or its clones.

From http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S8...een_Brightness

"On the Galaxy S8 the Maximum Screen Brightness can go much higher when Automatic Brightness is turned On, so that users can’t permanently park the Manual Brightness slider to very high values, which would run down the battery quickly. High Screen Brightness is only needed for High Ambient Light, so turning Automatic Brightness On will provide better high ambient light screen visibility and also longer battery running time.

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S8 produces up to a very impressive 1,020 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – which is the brightest Smartphone display that we have ever measured"
Old September 15th 17, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

I have an S8+ mounted on a stalk on my panel with a charging cable and with auto brightness enabled. I have it there mostly so that I can flip on Avare when needed. It's incrementally better than previous phones but still not bright enough -- nowhere near as readable as ClearNav 2. I'm thinking about making a hood for it to see if that helps.
Old September 15th 17, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 9/14/2017 10:46 PM, jfitch wrote:
snip
When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S8 produces up to a very impressive 1,020 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – which is the brightest Smartphone display that we have ever measured"

I guess you're talking specifically about smart phones, because my
ClearNav II is (subjectively) many times brighter than my Dell Streak 5
which itself is brighter than any smart phone I've seen to date.Â*
Admittedly I have neither seen them all nor tested any objectively.

That said, why worry about battery life when it's so simple to take a
USB panel mount cable, cut off the computer end, and make it into a
power jack for your phone (red and black wires connected to your DC
bus)?Â* Or simply purchase a portable 5v lithium battery
https://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Battery-Portable-Charger-Samsung/dp/B01N0NMWBK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505489266&sr=8-3&keywords=5v+battery+pack+usb
which will fit easily in the side pocket.
--
Dan, 5J

Old September 15th 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Talking about portable 5V "power bank" battery packs, an issue I have with them is that they are too "smart". They turn themselves off when they feel not enough of a load (e.g. the smartphone decides it's fully charged at the moment). And then don't turn themselves back on even if a load is there, until you manually press the "on" button. Not good when you're busy flying and don't notice. I've also had some of those packs stop working altogether until I took them apart and unsoldered the battery from the "smarts" board to reset the controller. I've looked long and hard for any with a simple on/off slide switch, they are rare. Did find this one, it doesn't have a huge capacity (probably not even the claimed one) but is useful nonetheless, also doubles as a flashlight:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381654424368

BTW I love my Nook e-reader's reflective e-ink display, nothing is more readable in bright sunlight! (Runs TopHat which is a derivative of XCsoar.)
Old September 15th 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 8:29:47 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 9/14/2017 10:46 PM, jfitch wrote:

snip
When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S8 produces up to a very impressive 1,020 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – which is the brightest Smartphone display that we have ever measured"

I guess you're talking specifically about smart phones, because my
ClearNav II is (subjectively) many times brighter than my Dell
Streak 5 which itself is brighter than any smart phone I've seen to
date.Â* Admittedly I have neither seen them all nor tested any
objectively.

That said, why worry about battery life when it's so simple to take
a USB panel mount cable, cut off the computer end, and make it into
a power jack for your phone (red and black wires connected to your
DC bus)?Â* Or simply purchase a portable 5v
lithium battery which will fit easily in the side pocket.

--

Dan, 5J

I don't worry about battery life as I have the iPhone plugged into the ship's LFP battery. But the manufacturers of these phones do worry about it, that's why the displays aren't as bright as they could be. The dedicated panel displays tend to be brighter as small portable battery power is not a consideration. Phones and PDAs are built for a market which values battery life over sunlight readability. The downside of dedicated panel displays is it locks you into a particular manufacturer's solution which is frozen at that point on the technology curve, at a very high price. They aren't getting rich on them, there is just a cost difference between building 500 over the life of a product vs. 50,000,000 per quarter, as Apple does. They are saying the iPhone X will be in short supply because they can only produce 10,000 a DAY!

What I would like to have (and have been working on in the background) is a panel display that mirrors a smart phone. It could be very bright, and still have the advantages of using a high volume consumer device for all the connectivity/computation/memory etc. You would not be trapped into a single solution.
Old September 15th 17, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Maybe you can find the source of the ClearNav II display.Â* Or just the
display for the Dell Streak 5
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/for-dell-streak-mini-5-lcd.html...

Good luck!

Old September 15th 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 1:32:05 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

Why not run a yotaphone? E-ink on one side...
Old September 15th 17, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 10:32:05 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

Finding the display isn't the problem, plenty of displays out there. It's getting the mirroring working. Apple's solution for this does not display in full resolution, and does not display in portrait orientation. There is no other solution but hacking the phone OS, possible perhaps but complicated. Not sure what exists in the Android world but iGlide does not run on Android anyway.
Old September 15th 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Why not run a yotaphone? E-ink on one side...

Yes, and LCD on the other. I tried to get my Nook to run TopHat and have had zero luck. It is not possible withouot taking it apart and doing some soldering.Even then you have to have a serial output GPS. Newer USB output GPS will not work. I was lucky enough to test fly a Yodaphone (not sure about the spelling) and it worked well. However last time I searched for them online they were not sold in the USA. Probably because
they are made in Russia... might include spyware at no extra charge :-)