Questions for any iPaq users out there

Old April 7th 04, 06:01 AM
Ted Wagner

Default Questions for any iPaq users out there

1. I have an iPaq series 55xx and I can't make out the display outdoors, or
in the cockpit. (Yes, I have the brightness set to max.) Is this typical of
iPaqs? Are the older iPaqs brighter? Do I have an "off" unit?

2. What hardware do I need to connect the iPaq to my LX5000 to use the
Downloader program? (Note: My glider already has a Pocket PC mount, in which
the iPaq gets power and a connection to the LX5000 for the GPS stream. But
it doesn't work for Downloader. I want to connect the iPaq to the 5-pin
instrument panel serial connection so I can download the .igc files to the
iPaq.)

Advance thanks --

ted/2NO

Old April 7th 04, 01:21 PM
Jim Kelly

All iPaq displays are very difficult to read in sunlight (despite
the marketing hype . . ). I have anguished over this for ages. There
is a filter that helps greatly, but still nowhere near tolerable.
Many have tried other filters but this seems to be the best as it
stops reflections:
ClearTouch screen protection:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/clea...t3_ipaq_39.htm
us$13 or us$28/3 plus $6 freight, or at:

http://www.craggyaero.com/screen_protectors.htm

Most of us turn the map off which increases the readability markedly
(you can turn it on easily as needed).

At least the H5xxx that you have has the bigger display. Many folks
have been lured into the lower priced models that have 15% less
area!

Hope this helps?

Happy Easter to all.

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

ws.com...

Old April 7th 04, 01:40 PM
G.Kurek

"Ted Wagner" wrote in message ews.com...
1. I have an iPaq series 55xx and I can't make out the display outdoors, or
in the cockpit. (Yes, I have the brightness set to max.) Is this typical of
iPaqs? Are the older iPaqs brighter? Do I have an "off" unit?

I use Ipaq 3970 with Anywhere map, as for the usage in Cezznaz the
dammed thing is shaking so much that I'm not able to see anything
anyhow, but I don't recall having problems in the glider where I don't
use any brightness and I'm able to see it (on sunny days), I thought
that brightness on mine is more than enough.

2. What hardware do I need to connect the iPaq to my LX5000 to use the
Downloader program? (Note: My glider already has a Pocket PC mount, in which
the iPaq gets power and a connection to the LX5000 for the GPS stream. But
it doesn't work for Downloader. I want to connect the iPaq to the 5-pin
instrument panel serial connection so I can download the .igc files to the
iPaq.)

Advance thanks --

ted/2NO

I'm still renting...
Old April 7th 04, 02:46 PM
cernauta

"Ted Wagner" wrote:

2. What hardware do I need to connect the iPaq to my LX5000 to use the
Downloader program? (Note: My glider already has a Pocket PC mount, in which
the iPaq gets power and a connection to the LX5000 for the GPS stream. But
it doesn't work for Downloader. I want to connect the iPaq to the 5-pin
instrument panel serial connection so I can download the .igc files to the
iPaq.)

Most probably, your current connection is nearly perfect. You only
miss the connection for reverse communication: the "out" pin of the
Ipaq must be connected to the "in" pin of the Filser.
You must have this sorted out.

bye

Aldo Cernezzi
Old April 7th 04, 03:25 PM
Bert Willing

I run an Ipaq 3950 - no problems with visibility at all.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"G.Kurek" a écrit dans le message de