How not to land an MD-80

Old February 12th 04, 12:47 AM
HECTOP

Default How not to land an MD-80

Oops: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kuhd/MD-80.mpg

Investigation: http://amelia.db.erau.edu/reports/ntsb/aar/AAR82-02.pdf

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old February 12th 04, 02:19 AM

YIKES!!!!!

Dave

Old February 12th 04, 04:03 AM
BTIZ

this was a hard landing test conducted during the certification
it was posted on Avweb

BT

. ..

Old February 12th 04, 08:17 AM
Larry Fransson

In article 4WCWb.15536$IF1.11778@fed1read01,
"BTIZ" wrote:

this was a hard landing test conducted during the certification
it was posted on Avweb

Not quite. According to the report, they were trying to determine the
minimum horizontal distance required for landing.

--
Larry Fransson
Aviation software for Mac OS X!
Old February 12th 04, 03:37 PM
Robert M. Gary

"BTIZ" wrote in message news:4WCWb.15536$IF1.11778@fed1read01...
this was a hard landing test conducted during the certification
it was posted on Avweb

Short field....

Here's the accident report:
http://amelia.db.erau.edu/reports/ntsb/aar/AAR82-02.pdf
Old February 16th 04, 08:45 PM
Capt.Doug

"Larry Fransson" wrote in message Not quite. According to the report,
they were trying to determine the minimum horizontal distance required for
landing.

Not quite-
It's an example of what my co-pilots try to do to me every day.

D. :-)

Old February 17th 04, 05:48 AM
Trentus

"HECTOP" wrote in message
. ..
Oops: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kuhd/MD-80.mpg

Investigation: http://amelia.db.erau.edu/reports/ntsb/aar/AAR82-02.pdf

This link always gets "operation timed out" at my end.
Is this the correct link?
Is it still active?

Thanks

Trentus

Old February 17th 04, 04:24 PM
Big John

Trentus

Just went to link and scrolled down to bottom ok.

Big John

Old February 18th 04, 06:28 PM
pacplyer

"Capt.Doug" wrote in message ...
"Larry Fransson" wrote in message Not quite. According to the report,
they were trying to determine the minimum horizontal distance required for
landing.

Not quite-
It's an example of what my co-pilots try to do to me every day.

D. :-)

Funny Doug, I was just wondering what your reaction would be. :^D I'm
impressed with you "flying stovepipe" pilots. Is PIO easy in that
thing?

The clip kinda reminded me of a typical f/o approach into Kaohsiung
(one-way airport ILS) with 18kt tailwind shearing to ten on ground.
1000 fpm down, no real flare, hope I don't have to take it away
again... But the old gen of airplanes 9's, L-10's (jmpstng) 72's,
10's, 74's & early buses seemed stouter and could take a real
earthquake.

It looked O.K. untill the last very last part when the tires did the
cartoon thing and the tail fell off. ;-) Mr. Douglas really had a
knack for stretching things didn't he? The MD-11 drivers tell me it's
"one of those airplanes" (that's dangerous to land) since the stab is
so small, and if the tail software load screws up, you hit hard (no
elev authority) and then if one wing spar cracks, the other keeps
flying and you wind up on your head.

Yikes is right.

pac "high blood pressure" plyer

(Those Edwards guys broke the tst MD-11 in half during hard ldg tsts,
1400fpm in flare, plated it back together and we bought it. gulp.)
Old February 23rd 04, 05:57 AM
Capt.Doug

"pacplyer" wrote in message Is PIO easy in that thing?

PIO isn't much of a problem. The DC-9-30 series is easy to land. The MD-81
put some 40% more weight on the same wing. It bleeds off speed so quickly
that some pilots get caught. The JT8-Ds can take a long time to spool which
doesn't help. Additionally, the elevator isn't very effective at Vref -5.
Pull back to flare and nothing happens. This is good for a laugh when others
try to emmulate me without realizing that I use stab trim when I'm flaring.

The MD-11 drivers tell me it's
"one of those airplanes" (that's dangerous to land) since the stab is
so small, and if the tail software load screws up, you hit hard (no
elev authority) and then if one wing spar cracks, the other keeps
flying and you wind up on your head.

A retired DC-10 friend mentioned that tailstrikes in the flare happen
frequently with those planes.

D.